• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T09:21:39Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts

Pinned topic Questions about Event Sub-Processes

‏2013-02-04T15:57:54Z |
Hello -

My project is currently undergoing a Migration Assessment from Teamworks 6.1 to IBM BPM 8.0.1 and I'm hoping to use the new (to us) event sub-processes to simplify some of our Exception Handling practices. To that end, I have a couple questions for the group that I can't seem to find answers for anywhere:

1) Is there a way to resume a Process after the "attached" event sub-process catches an exception and the exception sub-process completes? In my testing it appears that the parent process moves to a Completed status but I would like the process to be interrupted until the execption sub-process completes and then proceed. Is this possible? In our current environment, we have developed a common exception handler (or Wrapper) that we use to wrap all service calls using the dynamic subprocess and I'm looking to replicate that functionality as best as possible.

2) Can you use a common implementation for an event sub-process? For example if I want to have a common exception handling pattern (ie. log the error and create a Human Task to investigate the error) can I do this?

Thanks all in advance!

Tim Hanson
Updated on 2013-02-06T09:21:39Z at 2013-02-06T09:21:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

Re: Questions about Event Sub-Processes

‏2013-02-05T14:45:25Z  
    bump.. anybody?
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-02-05T15:51:49Z  
    Hi Tim,
    Just last week I had an IBM BPM user looking for exactly the same function. Namely that the event sub-process should not terminate the process... rather it should get control, "do something" and then cause the process to suspend until it is resumed. Unfortunately, as best we could all determine, that isn't possible. It appears that the event sub-process will always cause the termination of the process. This is a "bummer".

The workaround is to attach exception handlers to all activities that may throw an exception but this is not as elegant as what I believe you are looking for.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-02-06T09:21:39Z  
    Hello,

you can place a vote for the feature request using the link below:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=30958
    Regards,

Aleksander