Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-01T04:36:50Z by DaveQ
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
9111 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM CIM Providers for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1

‏2013-02-04T15:28:49Z |
Hello,

I have a fully patched vmware esxi 5.1 --> build 914609.

Is it safe to patch it with the above cim providers ?

Did you manage to find some documentation about cim providers, their purpose and the way to properly install/update them ?

Thanks in advance.

p-a
Updated on 2013-03-01T04:36:50Z at 2013-03-01T04:36:50Z by DaveQ
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    9111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM CIM Providers for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1

‏2013-02-05T08:19:58Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I reposted it on the Blade forum : better place.
    Have a look there if you want to follow the (hopefully coming) discussions.
  • DaveQ
    DaveQ
    132 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-05T20:06:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The CIM providers assist with hardware awareness and proper device monitoring. If you don't have them loaded you aren't going to see the correct hardware listed or their status, or be able to interface with the IMM to perform certain remote functions (like running the DSA tool or UpdateXpress).

Not sure about applying the patch after the fact... but you should be using the IBM customized vSphere installers to perform installations or major upgrades on IBM hardware. If you are just using the native VMware provided image, you aren't including IBM specific drivers or the CIM providers.

I recently upgraded to 5.1 build 914609 without issue on top of an installation done with the IBM customized vSphere 5.1 installer.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      9111 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T03:18:07Z  in response to DaveQ
      I'm also interested in this and a little confused.

I'd to like to get information of FC cards (Both are IBM supplied Emulex and Qlogic) on our X3850's

I'm using Native Vmware install. Can I install IBM CIM Providers for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 5.1 package or do I need to use the CIM providers provided by Qlogic and Emulex directly because i'm not using the IBM customized vSphere installed version?
      • DaveQ
        DaveQ
        132 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T04:36:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I believe the CIM provider bundle can be installed after the fact via the vSphere CLI, given the package's requirements are met (it checks for the vSphere build level). Regarding the other vendor CIM providers, I wouldn't think those are necessary if the IBM bundle is installed, since the IBM one will allow communication with the BIOS, IMM, etc., .... but, then there are the drivers used (or not used). The customized image contains more than just the CIM providers, it also contains customized drivers for HBAs, NICs, as well as drivers for interfacing with a host while it is online to perform future driver/firmware updates via UpdateXpress (connected from a Windows workstation to a vSphere host).
        For reference, you can find the various versions of the IBM customized image here:

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/index.html

There will be ISOs and readme files with the drivers and versions included with each image.

Best practice would be to use a vendor-specific image (Dell, HP, IBM, etc.) to ensure complete device coverage. Using the native VMware provided image means you'll be putting various pieces together from different hardware manufacturers, and perhaps some drivers are missing whereas they come with a vendor customized image. Just my .02.

Keep in mind when using a vendor customized image there is always a delay (month or so) after VMware releases an update, to allow for device testing, customization, etc..