Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-05T02:11:53Z by HermannSW
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Difference between device backup and domain backups

‏2013-02-04T06:35:53Z |
I wanted to know if there is any difference in the complete device backup of datapower and backup of all individual domains together.

Also i wanted to know if taking backup of all individual domains on the appliance is same as taking the complete device backup.
Updated on 2013-02-05T02:11:53Z at 2013-02-05T02:11:53Z by HermannSW
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Difference between device backup and domain backups

‏2013-02-04T08:17:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    normal Device backup(not secure Backup) will backup entire appliance specific configurations(e.g IPs,Domains),Domain configurations(e.g Services within a domain) and files stored on the applainces excluding certificates.Whereas individual domain backup will only backup configuration within that application domain.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6772 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T08:20:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for your input.

So if we take the domain backup of all the domains present on the appliance, will it be equivalent to the device backup?
      • swlinn
        swlinn
        1344 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T16:00:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        So there are two concepts here.

1) Using the export function, specify either a backup of 1..n domains or all domains on the appliance. This will create an artifact, typically a zip file, that contains the configuration and files in the 1..n/all domains, however, secure files (certificate in your cert:// directory for example) or passwords where they are specified in your configuration will NOT be part of that artifact and you'll need to restore them manually from another source.

2) Secure backup will backup the same as 1), backing up the entire appliance, including all the secure files/passwords etc that are NOT backed up using 1). The secure material is encrypted using a X.509 certificate and where the associated private key will be required to restore it. Secure backup/restore is accessed via the System Control section of the Control Panel. For information on secure backup, go to the info center or review this developerWorks article: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/1009_furbee/1009_furbee.html

Regards,
        Steve
  • HermannSW
    HermannSW
    4238 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-05T02:11:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    > So if we take the domain backup of all the domains present on the appliance, will it be equivalent to the device backup?
    >
    I would have said 'yes', but did a simple experiment.

First I did a complete backup of a box with 8 domains (backup-complete.zip).
    Then I did a backup of 1 or more domains of same box, and did select All domains (backup-all.zip).

Finally I did run "Administration->Configuration->Compare Configuration" tool, selected "Backup ZIP Bundle"
    for "From" and "To" and selected backup-complete.zip and backup-all.zip.

Then I did "Run Comparison" with option "View Changed Objects Only" -- and got NO difference reported.

Hermann<myXsltBlog/> <myXsltTweets/>