Topic
  • 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-04T23:13:52Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
590 Posts

Pinned topic Liberty supporting Java EE 6 Web Profile?

‏2013-02-02T16:45:32Z |
Hi,

I've been impressed by the direction IBM is going with Liberty.

While impressive, I haven't been able to try out Liberty with any real app that I'm involved with, since they all target the Java EE 6 Web Profile as a minimum. Now Liberty (the .Next Alpha) isn't that far away from the web profile it seems.

So my question is will Liberty support the official Web Profile any time soon?

I'm particular interested in (stateless) EJB session beans, @Asynchronous support and @DataSourceDefinition data sources in the java:app namespace, which are all things that to the best of my knowledge Liberty for some reason doesn't support (yet).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

Re: Liberty supporting Java EE 6 Web Profile?

‏2013-02-02T17:34:37Z  
    p.s. to clarify a bit more, with the addition of EJB 3 lite and CDI in .next (see https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/wasdev/entry/announce_alpha_was_wlp_85next?lang=en) Liberty would seemingly support the whole Web Profile, but will it also be officially certified as such?

With the java:app namespace support I'm referring to the following remark in the liberty documentation:

> You can define a data source within your application, through annotations or in the deployment descriptor, as defined by the Java™ EE specification.
    > This capability is limited to names in java:comp. Other name spaces such as java:module, java:app, and java:global are not available.

See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.wlp.nd.multiplatform.doc%2Fae%2Frwlp_ds_appdefined.html

All other web profile implementations that I've tested seem to support java:app. This is especially important for being able to define a datasource in web.xml and then reference it in persistence.xml.

WIth respect to the @Asynchronous support, it's not in the web profile of course, but some Web Profile implementations support it anyway as an extension (it is in the Java EE 7 Web Profile, so supporting it already will certainly not hurt ;))
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2013-02-04T20:58:19Z  
    p.s. to clarify a bit more, with the addition of EJB 3 lite and CDI in .next (see https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/wasdev/entry/announce_alpha_was_wlp_85next?lang=en) Liberty would seemingly support the whole Web Profile, but will it also be officially certified as such?

With the java:app namespace support I'm referring to the following remark in the liberty documentation:

> You can define a data source within your application, through annotations or in the deployment descriptor, as defined by the Java™ EE specification.
    > This capability is limited to names in java:comp. Other name spaces such as java:module, java:app, and java:global are not available.

See http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v8r5/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.websphere.wlp.nd.multiplatform.doc%2Fae%2Frwlp_ds_appdefined.html

All other web profile implementations that I've tested seem to support java:app. This is especially important for being able to define a datasource in web.xml and then reference it in persistence.xml.

WIth respect to the @Asynchronous support, it's not in the web profile of course, but some Web Profile implementations support it anyway as an extension (it is in the Java EE 7 Web Profile, so supporting it already will certainly not hurt ;))
    Hi,

Thank you for your interest in the Liberty profile. As you note we don't currently support the Web profile, but we are working hard to bring the missing features to the runtime. As you can see from the current alpha we have started to enable ejblite and cdi from Web profile as well as adding JAX-WS.

Until we announce the next release I can't provide you with information on when something will be released, but we are busy working on Web profile. From your specific list the alpha already supports stateless session beans packaged in an ejb jar file. The @Asynchronous annotation is not part of Java EE 6 Web profile which is what the alpha is enabling so it wouldn't be a part of Web profile enablement.

If you are interested in learning more the development team are running a question and answer session on reddit on February 11th so please do come along with questions then. Information is available here[1]. Also you might have seen a countdown on wasdev.net, so check back in a weeks time to find out what that is all about.

Thanks
    Alasdair

[1]https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/wasdev/entry/article_amaa?lang=en
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2013-02-04T21:45:41Z  
    Hi,

Thank you for your interest in the Liberty profile. As you note we don't currently support the Web profile, but we are working hard to bring the missing features to the runtime. As you can see from the current alpha we have started to enable ejblite and cdi from Web profile as well as adding JAX-WS.

Until we announce the next release I can't provide you with information on when something will be released, but we are busy working on Web profile. From your specific list the alpha already supports stateless session beans packaged in an ejb jar file. The @Asynchronous annotation is not part of Java EE 6 Web profile which is what the alpha is enabling so it wouldn't be a part of Web profile enablement.

If you are interested in learning more the development team are running a question and answer session on reddit on February 11th so please do come along with questions then. Information is available here[1]. Also you might have seen a countdown on wasdev.net, so check back in a weeks time to find out what that is all about.

Thanks
    Alasdair

[1]https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/wasdev/entry/article_amaa?lang=en
    > {quote:title=Alasdair wrote:}{quote}
    > Until we announce the next release I can't provide you with information on when something will be released, but we are busy working on Web profile.

Good to hear you're working on the Web Profile indeed. I understand you can't provide any information on when it I'll be released.

>From your specific list the alpha already supports stateless session beans packaged in an ejb jar file. The @Asynchronous annotation is not part of Java EE 6 Web profile which is what the alpha is enabling so it wouldn't be a part of Web profile enablement.

Indeed, @Asynchronous is not in the Web Profile, but since Liberty supports some features that go beyond the Web Profile already, I guess that this would be an interesting addition if you guys happen to be looking for something else to add ;)

Is there anything known about lifting the current @DataSourceDefinition limitation for the current Liberty version? Why is that limitation there anyway?

> If you are interested in learning more the development team are running a question and answer session on reddit on February 11th so please do come along with questions then.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to be present!

Henk
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    590 Posts

‏2013-02-04T23:13:52Z  
    > {quote:title=Alasdair wrote:}{quote}
    > Until we announce the next release I can't provide you with information on when something will be released, but we are busy working on Web profile.

Good to hear you're working on the Web Profile indeed. I understand you can't provide any information on when it I'll be released.

>From your specific list the alpha already supports stateless session beans packaged in an ejb jar file. The @Asynchronous annotation is not part of Java EE 6 Web profile which is what the alpha is enabling so it wouldn't be a part of Web profile enablement.

Indeed, @Asynchronous is not in the Web Profile, but since Liberty supports some features that go beyond the Web Profile already, I guess that this would be an interesting addition if you guys happen to be looking for something else to add ;)

Is there anything known about lifting the current @DataSourceDefinition limitation for the current Liberty version? Why is that limitation there anyway?

> If you are interested in learning more the development team are running a question and answer session on reddit on February 11th so please do come along with questions then.

Thanks, I'll definitely try to be present!

Henk
    In our eagerness to release something useful in the 8.5.next alpha we did not have time to implement several key features. Support for java:app, java:module, java:global namespaces was one of those things we didn't get to for the alpha. The limitation isn't specific to DataSourceDefinitions.

Choosing to implement Java specifications is generally an all or nothing approach, you have to comply with the tests for a specification. Some specifications do allow subsetting of the implementation, but not all, so we have to be careful to ensure we uphold the spirit of the Java language. As a result I will refrain from commenting on the possibility of supporting @Asynchronous prior to Java EE 7 Web profile.

Looking forward to seeing you on reddit.
    Alasdair