Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T10:38:01Z by BhadraBheemireddy
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5507 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Agent not ready, time of last contact: No successful contact Check Agents

‏2013-02-02T08:08:19Z |
I have updated IBM RPT to 8.3.0.1 and now I am getting error message for agents.

When I run the schedule I am getting below error message..

Agent not ready, time of last contact: No successful contact Check Agents Failed
Please provide the steps how to resolve this issue..
Updated on 2013-03-15T10:38:01Z at 2013-03-15T10:38:01Z by BhadraBheemireddy
  • Rajeshavanthi
    Rajeshavanthi
    111 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Agent not ready, time of last contact: No successful contact Check Agents

‏2013-02-03T06:20:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi

It seems that you have not registered the workbench machine on the RPT
    Agent machine.. On RPT 8.3 we have new agent service introduced called
    MajordomoService

To run remote agents or local agents it is just sufficient to have this
    service running.
    Not required to start ACWinservice as well..Only for Response time
    breakdown you must start the ACWinService(IBM Rational Agent Controller)

So you should do the following:

• Stop the MajordomoService
    • Edit the majordomo.config present in in C:\Program
    Files\IBM\SDP\Majordomo
    • Specify the workbench hostname in place of "HOST NOT SPECIFIED"
    <MajordomoConfig xmlns="http://www.example.org/MajordomoConfiguration">
    <debug>false</debug>
    <workbenches>
    <hostName>HOST NOT SPECIFIED</hostName>
    <port>7080</port>
    </workbenches>
    </MajordomoConfig>
    • Start the MajordomoService
    You can find more details here
    http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.
    test.lt.doc/topics/c_ork_agents.html?resultof=%22%6d%61%6a%6f%72%64%6f%6
    d%6f%22%20
    • Attaullah_Syed
      Attaullah_Syed
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T06:16:12Z  in response to Rajeshavanthi
      In case that link doesn't work:
      http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.lt.doc/topics/c_work_agents.html
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      5507 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T06:47:19Z  in response to Rajeshavanthi
      the given link is broken, please update new one..

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.
      test.lt.doc/topics/c_ork_agents.html?resultof=%22%6d%61%6a%6f%72%64%6f%6
      d%6f%22%20

MY testing Environment:

Server 1:

1. Installed Complete IBM RPT Setup 8.3.0.1 and also installed the agent controller MajordomoService
      2. MajordomoService.config provided my localhost name and default port where the IBM RPT Setup installed..

3. Now I want to connect another agent machine which is different Server 2

What I need to install in this Server 2 (I need to install only Agent MajordomoService) If yes, where I can get this MajordomoService setup installation? Do I need to install this through online upgrade installation or is there a standalone setup is available...

Thanks,
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        5507 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T07:19:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Can I ran Agents from RPT 8.3.0.1 to RPT 8.1.0?
        • KMooney
          KMooney
          282 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T13:19:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          There is a separate Rational Performance Tester Agent product. The "Load Generation" option is the one that results in installing and starting Majordomo.

An 8.3 agent cannot support an 8.1 workbench. It's possible the Agent Controller option of the 8.3 agent might work but it would be advisable to use an 8.1 agent with an 8.1 workbench.
    • shaeHill
      shaeHill
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-27T21:30:09Z  in response to Rajeshavanthi
      We have multiple RPT controllers that use the same agents from time to time. Is there a way to set them so any three of our controllers can use the agents? We did get one of the agents to work using your directions, so we know everything is set up correctly. But, seting them up this way limits the use of these controllers / agents.
      • Rajeshavanthi
        Rajeshavanthi
        111 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-28T02:01:38Z  in response to shaeHill
        Hi

When installing Rational Performance Tester Agent, you can specify the hostname of the workbench to poll. After the installation, the agent automatically connects to the workbench. If you want to share the agent with multiple workbenches, you can either manually add them to the majordomo.config file located at installationDir/Majordomo or use the Share Agent with New Workbench option mentioned in the Checking status of agents topic described under:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rsthelp/v8r3m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.test.lt.doc%2Ftopics%2Ft_chk_status_agent.html
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        5507 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T15:12:01Z  in response to shaeHill
        Be careful how many workbenches you configure on each agent. After 3 or 4, it seems the agents are overwhelmed trying to ping every workbench every 5 seconds and they show up as Lost Contact instead of Ready on the Agent Status dialog. IBM Support recommends limiting the number of configured workbenches and has not made the polling interval configurable.

Dennis Upton
        Bogart Associates
        • shaeHill
          shaeHill
          7 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T15:17:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Thank you for your replies! :) I was able to change the config file and get the agents to work on one of my controllers. I have not tried this on another controller (waiting for SSA to create next controller, we are upgrading to windows 7 and new version of RPT) Do I need to change the config file on the agent each time I need to use the agents one another controller? Or will I be able to just use the option in the controller that has the agent configured and click on the button to share the agent with another controller?
          • KMooney
            KMooney
            282 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T16:00:40Z  in response to shaeHill
            You can use the Share option to add a new controller to an agent's configuration. You just need to do the share from controller the agent is in contact with. Or, you can edit the file. Or, you can edit one file and use remote copy to push it out to multiple agents. The agents do not have to be restarted. The poll interval is ten seconds and they will pick up changes to the config file at the next cycle.
        • KMooney
          KMooney
          282 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-06T15:01:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Per your suggestion the polling interval will be configurable in the next release.
  • BhadraBheemireddy
    BhadraBheemireddy
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T10:38:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    1. if you upgrade workbench , then surely upgrade agent also .
    2. in 8.3 we need to install agent controller separately.
    if u upgrade agent location, surely u wll lost the host name

at agent machine ....in the installation directory
    example C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\Majordomo ....
    here in the majordomo config file provide the hostname
    <Host Name>ip address of ur workbench machine</Host Name>

and
    in the work bench location
    1. check the agent status ... find the attached icon of agent status.
    If it in ready state then only we can stat the test
    otherwise

Your system is now upgraded to 8.3. Please begin the testing today.

In case you get errors like 'Agent Not ready' , do the following steps :

1) Stop the Majordomo services on workbench machine.
    2)Close RPT workbench
    3) Clear User temp (Start> Run> %temp%). Can be done occasionally not always. Recommended to do before longer runs..
    4)Start the Majordomo services on workbench machine
    5)Start RPT. Give it some time to initialise
    6)Query on the Agent Status. It should list the remote agents this workbench is shared with and show the Status as 'Ready' . Only then you can start a remote schedule run from your workbench.

it may helps

Thanks and Regards
    Bhadra bheemireddy