• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-06-12T15:08:36Z by DanDevoe
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
535 Posts

Pinned topic Installing VARPG on Windows 7 64-bit Machines

‏2013-02-01T21:30:21Z |
Hi All,

Recently I have discovered that there are a few people out there still supporting and using VARPG applications and need to move on to the Windows 7 64-bit platform. Some have stumbled on my post on how to install VARPG to Windows 64-bit machines on another forum and said they might have found it faster if I had posted to more forums.

So for the VARPG warriors still out there here is my previous post of instructions to install VARPG applications on Windows 7 64-bit machines:
It was brought to my attention a few days ago that Visual Age RPG programs, thought to be pretty much dead by now, can be installed and working on Windows 64-bit machines. If you are a programmer like myself that still needs to develop, maintain and support VARPG programs then here is how you can do it.

Go to this web site and obtain the setup32 installation file.

http://toastytech.com/files/Is3Engine.zip

Unzip the file and place the setup32.exe file in the packaged installation folder of your application. Instead of running the setup.exe file in that folder you will be executing the setup32.exe file.

When you are done installing place the VARPG runtime folder in your path statement in System Variables under Environment variables.

If there is any configuration to your VARPG environment you will need to execute the programs FVDCTCP, FVDEPW and FVDERST located in the VARPG SYSTEM folder.

For this information I owe much gratitude to a very persistent tech at Malheur County Oregon named Josh Kreger who figure it out.

Tad LaMarche
Updated on 2013-02-01T23:33:04Z at 2013-02-01T23:33:04Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    535 Posts

Re: Installing VARPG on Windows 7 64-bit Machines

‏2013-02-01T23:33:04Z  
    Thank you for posting this. It has given new life to my VARPG applications, and I hope more people see this.
  • DanDevoe
    DanDevoe
    1 Post

Re: Installing VARPG on Windows 7 64-bit Machines

‏2015-06-12T15:08:36Z  
    Thank you for posting this. It has given new life to my VARPG applications, and I hope more people see this.

I am actively developing & supporting VisualAge RPG applications as well.

My approach is slightly different - but it does work - even on Windows 8.1 64-bit machines.  Am hoping that it'll work under Windows 10.

Basically, I am still using XP mode to develop & maintain the applications.I have a NAS with a V: drive attached to it (for VRPG).  I run the native SETUP within XP mode, building to the NAS.

Then, I copy the compiled project folder to a V: drive (hosted on our IBM i via NetServer) on my Windows 7-64 bit side.  Everyone in the company has access to this drive.

I have a .BAT program in the root of the V: drive, which when launched, sets environment variables, copies over any changed shared components & runtime files to the user's local drive, then launches the program.

And as I mentioned above, it DOES work on Windows 8.1 64-bit as well.

IMO, VisualAge RPG should have never have been left out to dry...