Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-02T04:15:44Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1743 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic San disk identification on cilent

‏2013-02-01T05:35:18Z |
Dear All,
Recently i came a cross with situation that, i had a vio client and the two san disks has assign to it. But i don't have an access of mine dual vios server.

My question is how could i identify from client system which san disk is assign from which vios server.

Thanks
Vijay.
Updated on 2013-02-02T04:15:44Z at 2013-02-02T04:15:44Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: San disk identification on cilent

‏2013-02-01T11:26:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    A lot depends on how you have the disks assigned, and you do need root access to the partition to do this. Here are a couple of things that work for me.

echo cvai | kdb

This will tell you which vio server is supplying the vscsi device. You can then associate this with the disks by using lspath.

odmget CuAt | grep -wp hdisk##

This will give you info on the disk and typically, hidden in the unique_id is something that identifies the SAN and the disk id. In my case I have an EMC SAN, so EMC is embedded in the unique id.

Hope this helps.

Ken C
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1743 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-02T04:15:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks for the revert.

As our environment we are using NPIV for san maping. Will the below command is useful on that also.

Rgds
      Vijay
  • unixgrl
    unixgrl
    25 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T15:25:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Do you have access to the LPAR profile from the HMC?

From the profile you can see which virtual scsi adapter has been assigned from each VIO and then
    use that to follow the trail to the disks.

The "virtual_scsi_adapter" field in the profile will show something like "100/client/1/vioA/100/0"
    Then, on your LPAR when you do "lsdev -Cc disk" to see the location of the disk you should see 100 as part of the location code.