Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-03T13:06:32Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6902 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic P740 with HMC Fresh Installation! From where should I start first?

‏2013-02-01T00:10:06Z |
Hello Experts,

I am quite new to IBM Power systems so please bear with me.

In short and sweet, I have to do a complete fresh installation of a IBM P740 server along with a HMC. At high level, the system comprise of two VIOS and three LPARs (initially) running AIX 7.1 (two LPARs) and 6.1.

since I am still new to Power systems, as mentioned before, I would like to know from where I should start first? What are things I should do? I have heard that it is necessary to do firmware updates and so on.

Anyway, it is highly appreciated, if you can provide a list of high-level steps that need to do / execute up to the point network setup in a AIX LPAR, so that I can drill down to each one of those steps to get better knowledge / understanding about the installation and configuration process.

NOTE: storage (includes disks and tapes) for LPARs come in two forms; one via virtual SCSI and other directly via vfc (i.e. SAN boot)

Thank you in advanced
Updated on 2013-02-03T13:06:32Z at 2013-02-03T13:06:32Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6902 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: P740 with HMC Fresh Installation! From where should I start first?

‏2013-02-01T10:45:21Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Seems no one like to help me... :(
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      6902 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-03T13:06:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      agreed. no free handholding, walkthrough or coaching here.

but ibm has pretty much laid out everything for you: google "ibm power hardware information center", choose your model, follow the task-oriented topics. how much easier can it be?

and come back here with more specific questions once you have done your homework. you're likely to get fine answers then.

cheers
      D.
  • unixgrl
    unixgrl
    185 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T15:35:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    This is a forum answered by people who have no obligation to do so.

If you have a "fresh" 740 and a "fresh" HMC, your firmware levels are probably already at the latest.

Go to the IBM website. Read through the PowerVM Redbooks. Read through the best practices documents you can find. The answers you want are out there. There are so many configuration options available in a P7 that you first must understand what those are and then figure out which ones are applicable to your environment. From there, you can dig deeper into how to setup those items.