Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-01T16:11:52Z by seroyer
GlennBrown
GlennBrown
2 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic SEA Load Sharing issues

‏2013-01-31T20:31:59Z |
We have a new P770 that I setup for SEA load sharing. From what I can tell the VID's are shared properly according to entstat (see links below). My VID's are 1 and 2 respectively, VID 1 works fine, however I cannot use VID2 at all. It was failing in SMS mode. Per IBM's direction I did the install using VID1 and then tried to shutdown and change it, however my networking stopped working after reboot.

I am really at a complete loss for what is wrong, I reviewed these two guides Niguels DeveloperWorks Article and this Support Document

Looking for some help hopefully, I have a PMR opened but I am not getting a confident feeling after being told "it won't work in SMS" which sounded like a complete BS answer to me.

My entstat logs...
VIO1
VIO2
Updated on 2013-02-01T16:11:52Z at 2013-02-01T16:11:52Z by seroyer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: SEA Load Sharing issues

‏2013-01-31T22:21:54Z  in response to GlennBrown
    Hi,

If your switch ports are configured in trunk mode with vlan id 1 and vlan id 2 you have to set unsed PVID for each adapter then (in my case i use PVID 999 and PVID 998 they are not use by our network team and reserved for our own use), then this adapters have to be "802.1q compatible adapter" with VID set to 1 for the first one and VID set to 2 for the seconde one

• Adapter 1 : Port Vlan Id = 999, 802.1q checked, Additionnal Vlan Id = 1
    • Adapter 2 : Port Vlan Id = 998, 802.1q checked, Additionnal Vlan Id = 2

I definitly don't know how it is possible to setup SEA in sharing mode without using 802.1q compatible adapters.

Benoît.

http://chmod666.org
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1743 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-31T22:28:00Z  in response to GlennBrown
    After re-reading your post I think your switch ports are configured in access mode (set to vlan id 1), with an additionnal vlan id added on it (set to vlan 2), it is possible with Cisco switches. vlan id 1 is working in SMS mode because all packets with vlan id 1 are tagged, vlan id 2 is not working because all packets are untagged and tagging for this vlan must be configured in the lpar, it think adding a vlan adapter in a lpar with vlan id 2 will work.

My advice is to configure your switch ports in a full trunk mode (read my previous post) if you want to access both vlans in SMS mode.

Benoît.

• GlennBrown
      GlennBrown
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T15:40:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I am thoroughly confused, I was under impression I could split the load between my VIO servers without having to vlan tag on the switch side. Presently we only have one vlan that we use in our Data Center, 10.19.0.0/16 we will eventually have more vlan's as we get into our new extended DC.

Can I load share at the vio side to the same external vlan?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1743 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T15:47:38Z  in response to GlennBrown
        Hi,

You can't use load sharing with only one vlan. Load balancing is done per vlan. Both Virtual I/O Server can't "serve" the same vlan in the same time.

• seroyer
        seroyer
        352 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-01T16:11:52Z  in response to GlennBrown
        See this page for some helpful information about the different ways to use SEA for your network configurations.

You cannot split a single VLAN using SEA load sharing. To split a single VLAN, you would have to use NIB in the clients or multiple virtual switches.

What problem are you trying to solve by using SEA load sharing? Too much CPU utilization in the VIOS? Saturating a physical link in a VIOS? VIOS cannot drive the physical link fast enough? etc...

There may be simpler solutions to your problem than trying to change your network architecture.

Steve