• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-01T00:58:29Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts

Pinned topic passing label and other meta data to subview

‏2013-01-31T19:15:59Z |
Hello all,

I have searched on this but have not found anything related. If this is a duplicate question, please forward me on to the answer.

I am using V8.0.0 and I have taken a textbox wrapped it in a view to give it some added functionality. How do I pass the parent view's metadata to the child?

Does that make sense?

I have tried the <# #> and <#= #> syntax but it takes it as a literal label.

Thanks -
Updated on 2013-02-01T00:58:29Z at 2013-02-01T00:58:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

Re: passing label and other meta data to subview

‏2013-01-31T19:25:49Z  
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "meta data"? What attributes do you see in a parent Coach View that contains a ContentBox and hence allows you to have child Coach Views ... that you want also to be "pushed down" to the children?

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-31T19:38:57Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-01-31T19:25:49Z
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "meta data"? What attributes do you see in a parent Coach View that contains a ContentBox and hence allows you to have child Coach Views ... that you want also to be "pushed down" to the children?

Neil
    Sorry about the lack of description -

I am interested in the label and the help description primarily. I set the label of the user's view and the wrapper view label is set but I need to know how to pass it to the next view. (See hierarchy below)
    A - user view
    • B - Textbox wrapper view
    • - C - Textbox

Mike
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-01-31T19:51:17Z  
    Sorry about the lack of description -

I am interested in the label and the help description primarily. I set the label of the user's view and the wrapper view label is set but I need to know how to pass it to the next view. (See hierarchy below)
    A - user view
    • B - Textbox wrapper view
    • - C - Textbox

Mike
    Looking here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0m1/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.wle.editor.doc/develop/topics/rcontext.html

There appears to be a method called context.parentView() which will return the view object for a parent Coach View. From this, one could then use API on that returned object to find the values of meta data and other properties. I could imagine a child Coach View with logic to check its own "Label" property and, if empty, ask the parent Coach View for the value of the parent and then set the local label property to that of the parent.

I don't believe "Label" and "Help" have any direct "inherit" capabilities out of the box. That would be a relatively uncommon request. It isn't obvious that the help text for a Coach View should be the same help text for a parent Coach View.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-02-01T00:58:29Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-01-31T19:51:17Z
    Looking here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/dmndhelp/v8r0m1/topic/com.ibm.wbpm.wle.editor.doc/develop/topics/rcontext.html

There appears to be a method called context.parentView() which will return the view object for a parent Coach View. From this, one could then use API on that returned object to find the values of meta data and other properties. I could imagine a child Coach View with logic to check its own "Label" property and, if empty, ask the parent Coach View for the value of the parent and then set the local label property to that of the parent.

I don't believe "Label" and "Help" have any direct "inherit" capabilities out of the box. That would be a relatively uncommon request. It isn't obvious that the help text for a Coach View should be the same help text for a parent Coach View.

Neil
    Thanks Neil,

I got it to work another way but I will change to something similar to what you are referring to. I will be starting at the parent view and changing the subview as I am creating a wrapper around a particular control and don't want to edit that control. Anyway, Thanks again!

Mike