12 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-06-11T12:04:07Z by rbwright
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
642 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Memory Analyzer in ISA5Beta2_1 is not able to open heap dumps

‏2013-01-30T21:39:26Z |
Hi,

We are getting the foloowing error while opening a heap dump in Memory Analyzer.
An internal error occurred during: "Parsing heap dump from 'Y:\ksk\ESIG\OOM\heapdump.20130129.164054.31646.0002.phd'".
Java heap space

We have installed ISA5Beta2_1 on a 64bit Linux machine so that all our Admins can use the tools. We have 12 GB RAM on this machine. We are able to open smaller heap dumps up to 98 MB. But we are not able to open bigger heap dumps (tried 177MG, 277 MB). We tried to increased max heap for 'isa' and 'mat' processes but it did not help. I used Firefox on my Windows PC to launch ISA. Can you please suggest any thing that we should be doing differently so that we can use the Memory Analyzer to analyze larger heap dumps.

These are the processes running on the Linux machine:
root 18261 1 0 14:30 pts/0 00:00:44 /opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/_jvm/jre/bin/java -XX:MaxPermSize=4096m -Xms6144M -Xmx6144M -Xcompressedrefs -Disa.server.http.port=10911 -Disa.trace.specification=*=info -javaagent:/opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/wlp/lib/bootstrap-agent.jar -jar /opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/wlp/lib/ws-launch.jar isa --clean
root 18351 1 0 14:30 pts/0 00:00:06 /opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/_jvm/jre/bin/java -XX:MaxPermSize=4096m -Xms5120M -Xmx5120M -Dmat.server.http.port=10912 -javaagent:/opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/wlp/lib/bootstrap-agent.jar -jar /opt/ISA5Beta2_1/ISA5/wlp/lib/ws-launch.jar mat

We have tried different combinations of heap size between isa and mat processes. Please suggest on recommnded way of running the tool so that larger heap dumps can be analyzed.

Thanks,
Satheesh
Updated on 2013-02-04T18:03:44Z at 2013-02-04T18:03:44Z by rbwright
  • Bleddyn
    Bleddyn
    10 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Memory Analyzer in ISA5Beta2_1 is not able to open heap dumps

‏2013-02-04T12:46:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I get exactly the same issue problem running on Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 2 32bit.

I am opening a heap dump from an AIX machine in 32bit WAS the dump is around 300Mg. I was quite excited as I been having problems with V4 just getting the visualiser downloaded. I have changed none of the default settings and I am trying to use the Memory Analyser Desktop version.

Thanks Bleddyn
    • rbwright
      rbwright
      212 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T18:03:44Z  in response to Bleddyn
      Hi Bleddyn,

Please see my reply to Satheesh.Kannan dated February 4, 2013 for different approaches to running Memory Analyzer with IBM Support Assistant.

Regards,
      Russell
  • rbwright
    rbwright
    212 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T18:00:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi Satheesh,

Which edition of Memory Analyzer are you using? There are 3: Report, Web, and Desktop. You can tell which one you're using by clicking the Tools tab and looking at the list of tools. The edition is appended to the tool name in square brackets.

Based on your description you're running IBM Support Assistant 5 Beta 2 on a 64-bit Linux system, and it looks like you're running the Desktop edition of Memory Analyzer because the heap dump you're analyzing is on a Windows path and it's not located in an ISA case.

There are several options available for using Memory Analyzer to analyze large heap dumps. Note that I haven't tried all of these, so I can't guarantee that they'll all work.

1. Use the Web edition. Because it's running on the 64-bit Linux system the Memory Analyzer will run as a 64-bit application allowing it to analyze very large heap dumps assuming there's plenty of free memory. You can change the heap size settings by editing <ISA5_install_dir>/ToolBox/bin/start_mat.sh.

2. Use the Report edition. You can set the maximum heap size in the file <ISA5_install_dir>/ToolBox/com.ibm.java.diagnostics.memory.analyzer/runmat.xml. Look for the jvmargs attribute on the <eclipseapplication> element.

3. Change the maximum heap size for the Desktop edition. There are a lot of steps so you might want to try either option 1 or 2 before trying this. Because ISA 5 is server based it uses Java Web Start for running Desktop tools. When you click the Launch button a JNLP file is downloaded and stored on your workstation. Then Java opens the JNLP file and downloads the tool if it's never been installed or there are updates available. You can edit the JNLP file to configure JVM arguments. In order to do this you need to configure your browser so that it asks you what to do with JNLP files rather than execute them automatically. Then when you click the Launch button the browser will ask you if you want to save the file. Choose Save and name the file something like mat.jnlp. Then edit the jnlp file and search for the <j2se> element for your workstation's OS. For example:

<resources os=
    "Windows">     <j2se version=
    "1.6+"/> </resources>

To configure the maximum heap size, set the max-heap-size attribute. For example, to set the maximum heap size to 2G then set max-heap-size="2048M".

<resources os=
    "Windows">     <j2se version=
    "1.6+" max-heap-size=
    "2048M"/> </resources>

To launch the JNLP file open a command window / shell, ensure that the PATH includes the location of Java executables, and then type "javaws mat.jnlp" to run the tool.

4. Use the 64-bit Memory Analyzer available for the ISA 4.1 workbench. Click here to install the workbench. Click here for the list of tools available for the workbench.

We will be releasing more PD tools for ISA 5, so you'll have more options for troubleshooting problems as time goes by.

Regards,
    Russell

Updated on 2013-06-28T11:25:41Z at 2013-06-28T11:25:41Z by rbwright
    • This reply was deleted by rbwright 2013-06-28T11:26:23Z.
    • schittam
      schittam
      6 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T05:21:48Z  in response to rbwright

Hello Russell,

I have installed IBM ISA 5 Beta 3 and also I have installed IBM ISA 4.1 Workench. I am trying to parse 750 MB Heap Dump and it fails with OOM. I tried following your instructions to adjust the values for desktop edition. I did made the changes to jlnp file and tried to invoke from my command prompt and unable to launch the tool. I see some JAVA warnings and windows closes and nothing happens. 

Any suggestions. Please advise.

• rbwright
        rbwright
        212 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T09:41:29Z  in response to schittam

Hi Siva,

The attachments indicate that you're using ISA 5. I have some questions to better understand your environment.

• What OS platform is the ISA server running on and which platform are you using on the workstation to run Memory Analyzer [Desktop]?
        • What version of Java is being used on the workstation running Memory Analyzer [Desktop]? Is the Java runtime from Oracle or IBM? Run "java -version" from a command window / shell script to find out.
        • Have you tried using Memory Analyzer [Report] to analyze the heap dump?
        • Have you tried using Memory Analyzer Web Edition [Web] to analyze the heap dump?

You also mention that you've installed the ISA 4.1 workbench. Which heap dump analyzers available with the workbench have you tried? Is it one of these where you saw OOM while analyzing the 750 MB heap dump?

Regards,

Russell

• schittam
          schittam
          6 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-31T13:57:34Z  in response to rbwright
          • What OS platform is the ISA server running on and which platform are you using on the workstation to run Memory Analyzer [Desktop]? ---Windows 7 64 Bit
          • What version of Java is being used on the workstation running Memory Analyzer [Desktop]? Is the Java runtime from Oracle or IBM? Run "java -version" from a command window / shell script to find out.
          •  
            C:\Users\schittam\Downloads>java -version
            java version "1.7.0_45"
            Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
            Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)
          • Have you tried using Memory Analyzer [Report] to analyze the heap dump?
          • Yes, I tried and got Out of Memory Error. ( My Windows 7 desktop has 16 GB memory)
          • Have you tried using Memory Analyzer Web Edition [Web] to analyze the heap dump?
          • Yes, I tried and got Out of Memory Error. ( My Windows 7 desktop has 16 GB memory)
          • rbwright
            rbwright
            212 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-07T17:09:52Z  in response to schittam

Hi Siva,

The problem with launching the desktop edition of Memory Analyzer is related to recent security enhancements in Java 7. The 1.7.0_45 build (and later builds) is stricter about allowing certain applications to run. See Jim McVea's response in this post for more information: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=9bd4dbfd-739f-4624-b0bf-3d8858445ae3&ps=25 . We expect to have updates available to the desktop tools that will run in the new Java 7 JREs.

The problems with the report and web editions of Memory Analyzer sound like they're related to the maximum heap size allocated for the JVMs running the tools. See my February 4th response in this thread for information on setting the heap size. 16 GB of physical memory should be sufficient. If the problem continues it would be helpful to see the log produced by the report tool. It's located in the output directory that was created when you ran the tool. (The name ends with "_ISA_PD".)

Regards,

Russell

• rbwright
        rbwright
        212 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-11-15T15:05:03Z  in response to schittam

Hi Siva,

We recently published an update to Memory Analyzer [Desktop] that should fix this problem. See the details in this announcement:https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=2205186f-2afb-4e2e-abdf-54bbfead4601&ps=25

Regards,

Russell

• Marc.W
          Marc.W
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-06T21:46:44Z  in response to rbwright

Hi Russell,

I'm still bombing out when trying to launch MAT via modified .jnlp file which gives me a 2 gig heap. My Win7 64-bit thinkpad replies:

see attached jnlpProblem.JPG

Seems like I should be able to configure this to work somehow, but it escapes me.

My installed version of MAT Desktop is Version 1.2.0.201310310706 FP3

Thanks, Marc

Attachments

• rbwright
            rbwright
            212 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-11T18:50:00Z  in response to Marc.W

Hi Marc,

There have been many Java security enhancements to prevent unknown code from running. I believe the error about failing to validate the launch file signing occurs when the JVM detects that the JNLP file has been manually modified after it was downloaded. Earlier Java releases would launch the modified JNLP file. We're exploring options to make it easier to set JVM arguments for desktop tools. In fact there's a Request for Enhancement on this topic.

There are some desktop tool alternatives you can use while we work on solving this problem on IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0.
            1. Install Memory Analyzer from eclipse.org and add the IBM Diagnostic Tooling Framework for Java (DTFJ) plug-in. See Running Stand-Alone 64bit Memory Analyzer for more information.
            2. Use the 64-bit Memory Analyzer with the IBM Support Assistant Workbench 4.1. First install the IBM Support Assistant Workbench if you don't already have it. Then follow the instructions for how to install and run tools through IBM Support Assistant Workbench. Install the tool called IBM Monitoring and Diagnostic Tools for Java - Memory Analyzer 64bit.
            Other non-desktop alternatives include the Web and Report editions of Memory Analyzer. They're both available for IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0. The Report edition accepts a variety of input parameters and then produces a static analysis report. The Web edition is interactive like the Desktop edition except that you run it through your browser connected to the Memory Analyzer application running on the server.

Regards,

Russell

• Marc.W
              Marc.W
              3 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-19T02:38:56Z  in response to rbwright

Hi Russell, ultimately I executed your approach 1.  I first tried to install the pieces into an existing eclipse framework.  I could not find a way to resolve  the BIRT dependencies.  I also initially tried the Chevalier copy with no luck -- I suspect if I tried it again it might work better.  The Help > about Memory Analyzer pane says version 1.2.0 which seems downlevel.... 

Downloading a fresh 'empty' eclipse and installing MAT, DTFJ and IEMA was the most direct path for me.  I can make MAT use SDK 7, with a huge heap and compressed references now.  Thanks for your helps!  Marc

• rbwright
      rbwright
      212 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-06-11T12:04:07Z  in response to rbwright

In IBM Support Assistant Team Server 5.0.1 you can easily configure the heap sizes for problem determination tools. See the following resources for details.