Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-29T20:49:39Z by mburati
jgrewal2
jgrewal2
14 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic WPS Group Segment Handler

‏2013-01-29T18:15:03Z |
Does WPS Group segment handler bases it's profile selection on the privileges user has on the portlet the profile is applied to? In the sample, http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/dx/WPS+Group+Segment+Handler+Sample.pdf/$file/WPS+Group+Segment+Handler+Sample.pdf, the resource permissions are assigned to user groups rather than to pages, portlets.

I am struggling to understand the use case of WPS Group Segment handler? When would you use J2EE Role handler vs WPS group handler?
Updated on 2013-01-29T20:49:39Z at 2013-01-29T20:49:39Z by mburati
  • mburati
    mburati
    2552 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: WPS Group Segment Handler

‏2013-01-29T18:45:08Z  in response to jgrewal2
    The WPS Group Segment Handler associates portal group(s) that the user is a member of (as looked up by the portal user mgmt APIs) with WEF profiles/segments.

The J2EE Role Handler pre-dates the original Factory's portal support (early Bowstreet days, years before acquisition by IBM and before Bowstreet had added support for Portal) and was originally for standalone (eg, servlet based) web application profile selection. It is not typically used in portlet/portal applications.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
    • jgrewal2
      jgrewal2
      14 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T19:53:11Z  in response to mburati
      Thanks Mike! Do I have to associate profile to a portal group at deployment time? I can't seem to figure out where and when the association between profile and group takes place? Let's say I use two profiles, Manager and User, and I want to associate portal groups are ldapManager,ldapUser, where should I tie them together

If I relate that to J2EE security I can tie app roles with ldap roles in WAS and then app roles will be tied to profiles in J2EESelection handler at development time as I can see them in Profile set designer UI.
      • mburati
        mburati
        2552 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T20:49:39Z  in response to jgrewal2
        It's been a while since I used that handler, but from what I remember, you have the option of matching the individual profile name to WP group name, or the "segment" associated with a profile can match a portal group name. If you open the profile set in the Designer, you can set "segments" for each profile. In that sense, a segment is like an indirect name to help you map between an external entity and a profile name.

I believe the idea with that particular handler was you would have application level profiles and then either use segments to map to existing groups, or create well known application level profile/segment names and ask the portal admin to create groups that map to those profiles/segments.

Note, you are not limited to those handlers, those are just provided for a couple of out of the box options. The profile selection API is documented and there are a couple of sample selection handlers provided with source in selectionhandlers.zip with the product, under WEB-INF/work/source that you can look at for ideas if you need to base your profile selection on your own custom external data (DB or otherwise).

I hope that info helps,
        ..Mike Burati
        http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
        The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.