• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2014-01-06T04:05:37Z by UM2P_Arvind_Suryakumar
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts

Pinned topic questions about validation in V8.0.0

‏2013-01-29T03:26:14Z |
Greetings -

I have a few questions about validating controls within the form. I am dynamically generating a set of controls and would like to validate them form prior to leaving the coach. They only require basic validation but I am not sure how to set the visibility setting for non-BPM controls.

For example, if I create a view and generate three textboxes using dojo, is it still possible to set visibility for those controls to required and let BPM then do the normal validation(Within V8.0.1)?

If that is not possible, is it possible to customize the onclick event of the parent view's button?

Any other idea's (other than upgrading to 8.0.1)? :-)

Thanks -
Updated on 2013-01-29T21:52:16Z at 2013-01-29T21:52:16Z by kolban
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

Re: questions about validation in V8.0.0

‏2013-01-29T05:28:06Z  
    Interesting. My two cats are called Frik and Frak. They are brother and sister. I was asked how to tell them apart, I said ... "Well ... Frik's the boy so Frik with ***k and Frak with the ****k"

Maybe the following new as-is Coach View might be useful.

http://bpmwiki.blueworkslive.com/display/samples/Validation+Form

See also the associated usage video.

What you need to be careful of is that Dojo provides validation indication but IBM BPM out of the box doesn't check to see if all the controls are valid before allowing a submission to occur. There is also a new architecture in 8.0.1.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-29T15:28:49Z  
    Neil,
    Thanks a lot for you quick response. I have a few questions because I am not yet on 8.0.1 and not likely to be for at least a month or more.

Here is some assumptions I get from your video tutorial, please correct me if I am wrong.

1. The Validation CV working in conjunction with the BPM validation field
    2. Since my widgets are programmatically created, I will be unable to utilize the Validation CV.
    3. I should be able to replicate the functionality though and send an event to Button2 once all my widgets are valid and another when they are invalid.

I am unable to open the toolkit because I am not on 8.0.1 yet. Do you have a version that would work with 8.0.0 or explain how to throw an event?

Your response regarding your cats is funny. You remind me of an IBM instructor that I had for BPM administration named Gerry. Thanks again for your help.
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

‏2013-01-29T15:46:04Z  
    Neil,
    Thanks a lot for you quick response. I have a few questions because I am not yet on 8.0.1 and not likely to be for at least a month or more.

Here is some assumptions I get from your video tutorial, please correct me if I am wrong.

1. The Validation CV working in conjunction with the BPM validation field
    2. Since my widgets are programmatically created, I will be unable to utilize the Validation CV.
    3. I should be able to replicate the functionality though and send an event to Button2 once all my widgets are valid and another when they are invalid.

I am unable to open the toolkit because I am not on 8.0.1 yet. Do you have a version that would work with 8.0.0 or explain how to throw an event?

Your response regarding your cats is funny. You remind me of an IBM instructor that I had for BPM administration named Gerry. Thanks again for your help.
    Hi there,
    Unfortunately I only have an 8.0.1 system available to me so that limits what I can publish as toolkits. However if there is some goody in one of my toolkits that can be used we can extract the source and paste it into an 8.0.0 Coach View and it will work. There isn't anything yet I have built that needs 8.0.1.

In 8.0.1, a new validation set of functions was added so that when a page is submitted but before the next step in the Human Service is reached, a "script" is executed which has access to the variables changed in the Coach. This can then examine these values and answer the question ... valid or not? If not, control is returned to the Coach and the fields which were flagged as bad are hilighted. Again though ... this is only in 8.0.1 and requires Coach View controls that are "integrated" into that architecture.

When you say your widgets are programattically created, how are you doing that? Dojo?

Neil
    PS> My Frik and Frak attached
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-29T16:01:49Z  
    Wow - that was quick.

Yes, I am using dojo. It is 1.7.1. Trying to stay as close to architecture of BPM as possible.

Just last night I saw that they added the server validation to V8.0.1. Unfortunately, I am having a issue TINY problem with the Installation Manager which is the first step of the upgrade process. I think we should have waited because they added a lot in just one minor version.

I will have to look for the utility you created to extract the code because the BPM editor is less than poor. It would be helpful.

Is Frik on the left?

Mike
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-29T21:44:13Z  
    Neil,

Thanks again for your help and the idea. I was able to fashion a solution base on your concept using the dojo/topic control and custom button. I would be interested in the code extracting tool you mentioned earlier.

Hope Frik and Frak are doing well :-).

Mike
  • kolban
    kolban
    3322 Posts

‏2013-01-29T21:52:16Z  
    Neil,

Thanks again for your help and the idea. I was able to fashion a solution base on your concept using the dojo/topic control and custom button. I would be interested in the code extracting tool you mentioned earlier.

Hope Frik and Frak are doing well :-).

Mike
    Hi Mike,
    I must have mis-spoken, I don't have a code extracting tool ... rather ... when we look at an IBM BPM project (eg. a toolkit containing new Coach Views), these are packages at a specific product level ... eg. 8.0.1. Since 8.0.1 can't be imported into an 8.0.0, what we can do is export the source artifacts from an 8.0.1 environment as files/text and re-paste them into an 8.0.0 solution. So if there was some "thing" that I had in an 8.0.1 piece, what I could do is export it to files and give you those files for re-creation in your own 8.0.0 environment.

Frik and Frak are doing well as always. Frik was on the left. Six months after the arrival of Frik and Frak, we woke up one day and looked out our window to see one of our cats ... "Oh No!!" we ran outside but it ran off to the hills. Upon rushing back inside, we found both Frik and Frak watching the proceedings. It seems that we have a stray cat that is a clone of Frik and/or Frak. This cat we have called "OK" for "outside kitty". OK now comes and goes inside our house as she pleases. Frik and Frak get to stay inside only. In Texas we have "critters" and my cats would become lunch to these "critters".

Neil
  • UM2P_Arvind_Suryakumar
    1 Post

‏2014-01-06T04:05:37Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-01-29T21:52:16Z
    Hi Mike,
    I must have mis-spoken, I don't have a code extracting tool ... rather ... when we look at an IBM BPM project (eg. a toolkit containing new Coach Views), these are packages at a specific product level ... eg. 8.0.1. Since 8.0.1 can't be imported into an 8.0.0, what we can do is export the source artifacts from an 8.0.1 environment as files/text and re-paste them into an 8.0.0 solution. So if there was some "thing" that I had in an 8.0.1 piece, what I could do is export it to files and give you those files for re-creation in your own 8.0.0 environment.

Frik and Frak are doing well as always. Frik was on the left. Six months after the arrival of Frik and Frak, we woke up one day and looked out our window to see one of our cats ... "Oh No!!" we ran outside but it ran off to the hills. Upon rushing back inside, we found both Frik and Frak watching the proceedings. It seems that we have a stray cat that is a clone of Frik and/or Frak. This cat we have called "OK" for "outside kitty". OK now comes and goes inside our house as she pleases. Frik and Frak get to stay inside only. In Texas we have "critters" and my cats would become lunch to these "critters".

Neil

Hi Neil,

I have been trying to come up with a solution to do this on 8.0.0, however not having a lot of luck. Any help you can provide with exporting the source artifacts of your v8.0.1 validator control (albeit a super slick one at that), would be really helpful in me piecing them together for my environment.

Thank you sir.

Arvind