hwidjaja
27 Posts

Pinned topic Charts built using Charts builder does not refresh

‏2013-01-29T00:50:21Z |
Product: Web Experience Factory 8.0.0.2
Test Environment: WebSphere Application Server 8.0.0.5
Server Environment: WebSphere Portal 8.0.0.0

Scenario:
I have a service provider (one model) which produce an IXML containing data. This data will be consume by service consumer (another model). In the service consumer model, I have an imported page which will display Charts from Charts builder. The source data for the charts comes from the IXML from service provider. In the same html page, I have html input field and a button (Submit Form and Invoke). Once the user clicks on the button, the system will take the value from the input fields and use the values as the input parameter to call the service from the service consumer. Then the system will re-display the page and the charts with the updated data.

This scenario works perfectly when I tested the models in the test environment (WAS environment). However, once I deploy the project as a portlet into websphere portal server, the charts does not display the updated data.

If I debug the code and put a system out message, I can see that the service provider produce the correct (updated data) and the service consumer also got the new data.

Does anybody knows any idea why the charts did not refresh? Any help and insight are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your help...
Updated on 2013-02-01T00:55:31Z at 2013-02-01T00:55:31Z by mburati
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

Re: Charts built using Charts builder does not refresh

‏2013-01-29T03:41:16Z  
    If you post a sample (with no confidential info or intellectual property) showing what you're having trouble with, it might make it easier for someone to quickly spot what's going wrong with it.

..Mike Burati
    http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • hwidjaja
    hwidjaja
    27 Posts

‏2013-01-29T04:30:54Z  
    Thanks a lot for replying to this question.

Attached are the models. The main model is ITMDashboardModel.model. The service provider is ITMDataProviderModel.model.

Again, I really appreciate the help
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

‏2013-01-29T16:17:11Z  
    • hwidjaja
    • ‏2013-01-29T04:30:54Z
    Thanks a lot for replying to this question.

Attached are the models. The main model is ITMDashboardModel.model. The service provider is ITMDataProviderModel.model.

Again, I really appreciate the help
    The models are not runnable here with all the missing pieces, but I didn't see anything obviously wrong in a quick glance.

If it's working standalone as a webapp, but not portlet, then try checking a browser debugger console (eg, for Javascript errors) when/after the refresh should be occurring, and then the WEB-INF/logs/event.log in the deployed portlet WAR and the portal's SystemOut.log, for the time that the refresh should be occurring to see if there are any errors during the request that should be fetching the data and displaying the page with the chart data.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
  • hwidjaja
    hwidjaja
    27 Posts

‏2013-01-29T19:21:50Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-01-29T16:17:11Z
    The models are not runnable here with all the missing pieces, but I didn't see anything obviously wrong in a quick glance.

If it's working standalone as a webapp, but not portlet, then try checking a browser debugger console (eg, for Javascript errors) when/after the refresh should be occurring, and then the WEB-INF/logs/event.log in the deployed portlet WAR and the portal's SystemOut.log, for the time that the refresh should be occurring to see if there are any errors during the request that should be fetching the data and displaying the page with the chart data.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I checked event.log, systemout.log and the javascript log, however, there are no errors showing in those logs.

Do you think it is a session issue? Why the Chart does not re-fetch the data from the variables/data service?

Thanks again.
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

‏2013-01-29T20:52:27Z  
    • hwidjaja
    • ‏2013-01-29T19:21:50Z
    Thanks a lot for your reply.

I checked event.log, systemout.log and the javascript log, however, there are no errors showing in those logs.

Do you think it is a session issue? Why the Chart does not re-fetch the data from the variables/data service?

Thanks again.
    Are you logging into portal? If so, then it shouldn't be a session issue.

If you're trying to use this on an anonymous portal page, then yes it could be a session issue as WEF portlets require use of the session and portal does not enable sessions for anonymous users by default. If you need to use WEF portlets on an anonymous portal page, you'll need to enable anonymous session access as described in the WebSphere Portal documentation.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
  • hwidjaja
    hwidjaja
    27 Posts

‏2013-01-29T23:20:30Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-01-29T20:52:27Z
    Are you logging into portal? If so, then it shouldn't be a session issue.

If you're trying to use this on an anonymous portal page, then yes it could be a session issue as WEF portlets require use of the session and portal does not enable sessions for anonymous users by default. If you need to use WEF portlets on an anonymous portal page, you'll need to enable anonymous session access as described in the WebSphere Portal documentation.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    No, This is accessible by authenticated users only. Do you think I can open a PMR for this issue?

Kind Regards,
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

‏2013-01-30T03:44:52Z  
    • hwidjaja
    • ‏2013-01-29T23:20:30Z
    No, This is accessible by authenticated users only. Do you think I can open a PMR for this issue?

Kind Regards,
    If this is blocking your work and you believe it's an issue with the Chart builder, then feel free to contact customer support. This is an open discussion forum, not a support forum, so while the community here tries to help whenever possible, it's not a substitute for support for an issue blocking your progress that you believe could be a product issue.

It would help if you could provide them (or the forum here) a runnable reproduction scenario though (one without dependencies on artifacts that you cannot provide). Does this only happen with the Chart builder, or does other stuff on the page not refresh either (if you remove the chart and place the result data there instead, does it display correctly?)

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

‏2013-01-30T16:22:59Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-01-30T03:44:52Z
    If this is blocking your work and you believe it's an issue with the Chart builder, then feel free to contact customer support. This is an open discussion forum, not a support forum, so while the community here tries to help whenever possible, it's not a substitute for support for an issue blocking your progress that you believe could be a product issue.

It would help if you could provide them (or the forum here) a runnable reproduction scenario though (one without dependencies on artifacts that you cannot provide). Does this only happen with the Chart builder, or does other stuff on the page not refresh either (if you remove the chart and place the result data there instead, does it display correctly?)

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    Another option you could try, to help diagnose this, could be to disable SmartRefresh/PPR to see if that's part of the issue.

- You can disable Smart Refresh for a model by adding a Theme builder as the first builder call, selecting override inputs and turning off Smart refresh there.

- You can disable PPR/Smart Refresh for a particular button by telling the post action behavior to refresh the outermost page.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
  • hwidjaja
    hwidjaja
    27 Posts

‏2013-02-01T00:14:14Z  
    • mburati
    • ‏2013-01-30T16:22:59Z
    Another option you could try, to help diagnose this, could be to disable SmartRefresh/PPR to see if that's part of the issue.

- You can disable Smart Refresh for a model by adding a Theme builder as the first builder call, selecting override inputs and turning off Smart refresh there.

- You can disable PPR/Smart Refresh for a particular button by telling the post action behavior to refresh the outermost page.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    I finally found the problem and fix it :)

After installing to portal server, I accessed the portlet through an HTTP server, and in the HTTP server we have the configuration to cache images. For some reason the old images are cached, therefore it will keep re-display on the page.

If I access the portlet directly through port 10039, it works fine. So I disabled the cache configuration for that specific portlet's context root, and everything works fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind Regards,
  • mburati
    mburati
    2570 Posts

‏2013-02-01T00:55:31Z  
    • hwidjaja
    • ‏2013-02-01T00:14:14Z
    I finally found the problem and fix it :)

After installing to portal server, I accessed the portlet through an HTTP server, and in the HTTP server we have the configuration to cache images. For some reason the old images are cached, therefore it will keep re-display on the page.

If I access the portlet directly through port 10039, it works fine. So I disabled the cache configuration for that specific portlet's context root, and everything works fine.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind Regards,
    No problem, and Thank You for taking the time to post a follow-up describing the http proxy server configuration issue, which may help someone else who stumbles across that problem and this forum thread.

..Mike Burati