Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-02T20:37:56Z by SystemAdmin
HBruchey
HBruchey
43 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Workspace in use or cannot be created

‏2013-01-28T22:55:45Z |
In the process of testing the install of the latest version of CICS Explorer, we have encountered, on a couple of different occasions, a pop-up box with the error message - "Workspace in use or cannot be created, choose a different one". This has happened after CICS Explorer is being restarted, after shutting down during the upgrade/install process, or after having an error with the connections and then restarting the CICS Explorer session. Any ideas as to why this would happen?
Updated on 2013-03-02T20:37:56Z at 2013-03-02T20:37:56Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Workspace in use or cannot be created

‏2013-01-29T08:59:34Z  in response to HBruchey
    Hmmmm.

It sounds like the most likely reason is that the workspace is still marked as "in use" (rather than not being able to be created!).

When Eclipse (or CICS Explorer) are running, they lock the workspace by creating a file: $WORKSPACE/.metadata/.lock. When CICS Explorer shuts down, it deletes the .lock file.

If Explorer is not shutting down fully then it's possible that the .lock file isn't getting deleted. We haven't seen this all that much internally, although we have had one particular user's machine that had some kind of workspace or install corruption. This corruption meant that the CICS Explorer process would take a very long time to end, after the Explorer itself had gone from the screen, and he often say that message.

So - to work out in a bit more detail what is happening:
    1) After you quit CICS Explorer, does the process disappear from within Windows task manager? If not immediately, does it go after a few minutes? Can you kill it?
    2) Am I correct that $WORKSPACE/.metadata/.lock is getting left behind?
    3) Could you email me your service data or a zip of your workspace? dave.nice@uk.ibm.com

This could end up being something for the service team, but I can have a quick look.

In terms of getting past the problem when it happens, killing the CICS Explorer process and deleting the .lock file is the quickest way to get going again.

Dave
    • HBruchey
      HBruchey
      43 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T15:32:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Dave,

Thank you for the response. We have not been able to recreate the issue. I'm keeping an eye out for it and will send along more documentation if it happens again.

Thank you,
      Heather
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-01T18:47:19Z  in response to HBruchey
    I have been having this issue as well. When I delete the .lock file I am able to access that workspace.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      270 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-02T20:37:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi there,

If you are getting this consistently, do let me know the answer to the first question above - is the cicsexplorer.exe process hanging around, in task manager?

Also a zip of your workspace and a copy of the service data would be helpful if you're able.

We're not seeing this in our testing so I'm wondering what's different about your setup! :-)

Dave