I am experiencing a very strange problem. Two users are not able to start clocks in Service Request Manager 7.2:
The displayed error "There's no labor associated with this username" .
I checked the vmmsync,and it is fetching the people/users records from our Active Directory Domain. They in turn, belong to their corresponding security groups. They have a labor associated with them and the labor has a correct skill record in both cases.
By comparing between one existing user and the new ones, it seems nothing is different.
What else should I check to solve my problem.
PS: We have the spanish version of the software, so the error above may not reflect the literal english sentence.