Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-28T21:08:28Z by dan_darnell
Ravi_Hariharan
Ravi_Hariharan
77 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic What options do we have ?

‏2013-01-28T16:27:12Z |
Just wanted to have some idea as to what options can be have if we have a Business layer and Data access layer in EGL , but a non ELG presentation layer in any other technology.

my idea
1. If we stick with EGL - Rich UI (this will also require webservice ??? can it work by just calling Library ?)

2. Create Service and expose as webservice. (possible issue .. supports only Document Wrapped).. can someone give me more information

3. EGL Java wrapper
Points 2 and 3 would work only when you have a perfect architecture where you have ensure that there presentation logic dependency in ur down stream layer.
common issue i found in application i work on..
1. Custom Pagination - using Query.. rownum
2. Accessing Session information in BL.. this will surely have to be cleanedup..
Updated on 2013-01-28T21:08:28Z at 2013-01-28T21:08:28Z by dan_darnell
  • dan_darnell
    dan_darnell
    973 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: What options do we have ?

‏2013-01-28T18:09:26Z  in response to Ravi_Hariharan
    We have some applications where the presentation layer is not EGL but the back-end business and data access tiers are written in EGL.

The back end is exposed as services. In some cases, SOAP services, in other cases RESTful services.

Works like a champ.

--Dan
    • Ravi_Hariharan
      Ravi_Hariharan
      77 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-28T20:22:29Z  in response to dan_darnell
      Hi Dan,

what's your thought on EGL Java wrapper ? too much work to interface with Java code?
  • Ortwin
    Ortwin
    204 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-28T20:33:06Z  in response to Ravi_Hariharan
    Hello Ravi,

I would also advise to have the business and data access layer wrapped in webservices (SOAP or RESTful). This way you completely separate it from the presentation layer. The presentation layer than can, but doesn't need to, be in EGL.

Elaborating on your ideas:
    1. When using EGL Rich UI for the presentation layer you always have to communicate to the backend by webservices (SOAP or RESTful). From an EGL Library part you can not reach the backend by other means than by webservices. (OK, there are exceptions, but let not make things to exotic).
    2. This is the option I'd choose. You can have SOAP or RESTful webservices, which are very alike. SOAP is more commonly used when exposing them to third parties for SOAP services come with a clear interface description (WSDL), but use somewhat more performance overhead. In EGL webservices (both SOAP and RESTful) can be generated for Program Calls or SQL data retrieval and can also be manually created to customize Program Call and SQL data retrieval.
    3. ??? Do you want to wrap Java code in EGL and call this from a non EGL presentation layer? Or do you want to wrap EGL code in Java?

Ortwin
    • Ravi_Hariharan
      Ravi_Hariharan
      77 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-28T21:01:32Z  in response to Ortwin
      Call EGL Code from a Java(non EGL ) Presentation layer

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/rbdhelp/v8r0m0/topic/com.ibm.egl.gg.doc/topics/gegl_java_javawrapper.html
      • dan_darnell
        dan_darnell
        973 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-28T21:08:28Z  in response to Ravi_Hariharan
        Yeah, I would not seriously consider wrapping EGL with Java as a means to leverage an EGL back end. A web service approach is going to serve (no pun intended) you better.

I just re-read your options as originally stated. If I understand it correctly, number 1 is to do everything -- UI and back end -- in EGL. Naturally, I think that is the best option. That said, with either option 1 or 2 you get the service tier separated from the UI and therefore can consider a UI in a language other than EGL.

--Dan