KevB
KevB
7 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IP access lost to machine

‏2013-01-28T11:13:31Z |
Hi All,
I am "Sys Adm" for a small co.
We have a 8203-E4A machine and I have previously managed to setup a VIOS and IVM and AIX 6.1 partition. This process was new to me and it took me some time to get right, and that was about 3 yrs ago.

Last week I created a new Partition to run AIX7.1 and all was going well. I created the partition, was able to mkvt to get to the console and install the OS. I was then able to access the partition instance via PuTTy and continue with my work of installing our s/w packs, e.g. XL C/C++ etc.

The next day I was unable to connect to the 7.1 partition via PuTTy or to ping it from the 6.1 partition. I started looking at the network configuration to try and determine what had caused IP access to be dropped, but couldn't see anything obvious, so I started doing things by trial and error and ended up with no IP access to either partition.

I am not sure what I changed, but now I need help restoring things.

I have no HMC as this is a stand-alone machine. I can access the ASM via web interface and Serial Cable, but can't do anything more.

Help... please... Let's assume I am a novice, so be kind...
Kevin
Updated on 2013-02-08T16:57:16Z at 2013-02-08T16:57:16Z by KevB
  • KevB
    KevB
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IP access lost to machine

‏2013-01-28T14:57:25Z  in response to KevB
    It turns out that I had the Serial cable plugged into the wrong serial port and therefore I was never seeing the console for the IVM after restarting the machine. Once I found this page http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/index.jsp?topic=/p7hch/iphchconnectlpm.htm, I could successfully login to the IVM Console and issue a few commands:

lsdev -type adapter (showed me which was the virtual Ethernet adapter)
    mktcpip (with parameters) let me redefine the IP settings for the adapter)

Once that was done, I could then see the IVM Web page and change the two lpar ethernet sttings via the GUI interface.

All back up and running and able to connect via PuTTy to both lpar's
    • KevB
      KevB
      7 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T10:43:06Z  in response to KevB
      That link should be http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/powersys/v3r1m5/index.jsp?topic=/arech/arechcableandsetterm.htm
      • KevB
        KevB
        7 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-08T16:57:16Z  in response to KevB
        It turned out that I had a dead patch cable on en1 meaning that my second ethernet port was not avaiable for bridging. Once this was fixed all went well.
  • KevB
    KevB
    7 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T09:29:11Z  in response to KevB
    Overnight the IP access to the 2 LPARs was lost... so back to square one.