Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
11 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-19T11:52:54Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
102 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Strategy on migrating WebLogic10.3 to WebSphereV7.1 using Migration Toolkit

‏2013-01-28T09:33:52Z |
Hi,
We are planning to migrate our application servers from WebLogic10.3 to WebSphereV7.1 using WebSphere Migration ToolkitV3.5.1.

We have WebLogic on unix machine1 and WebSphere on unix machine2 in production.

We want to do it using migration toolkit with very very minimal changes. What is the best suggested strategy?

Thanks in advance!
Updated on 2013-02-19T11:52:54Z at 2013-02-19T11:52:54Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    102 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Strategy on migrating WebLogic10.3 to WebSphereV7.1 using Migration Toolkit

‏2013-01-28T17:10:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,
    It sounds like your are already heading in the right direction. Scan the application source code with the WebSphere Migration Toolkit to get general idea how many changes will be required. The toolkit will look for WebLogic APIs and deployment descriptors and other known issues that could require application changes.

Take a look at both the v8.5 and v7 versions of the WebSphere Migration RedBooks. Both walk you through examples and strategies for migrations. You will just need to set your migration target as WebSphere V7. Links to these Redbooks and other migration resources are found at:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27008729

What development tools are you using? Is your code already in Eclipse? Are you using Rational Application Developer? If so, great. If not, consider adding the IBM WebSphere Application Server V7.0 Developer Tools available from Eclipse Marketplace to your Eclipse environment.

Cindy
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      102 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Strategy on migrating WebLogic10.3 to WebSphereV7 using Migration Toolkit

‏2013-01-29T02:13:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thank you very much Cindy for your reply.

I am planning to use Websphere application server migration toolkit v3.5.1 since I am using eclipse in development environment. It is coming as a plug-in so that I install this toolkit as an added software in eclipse.

I am in dilemma in case of considering the strategy which I mentioned below.
      1. Bringing the development environment (application code & configurations) in sync with production environment. In development environment, taking the code and configurations from existing weblogic server and converting them which is suitable to websphere V7 server and copying into websphere V7 server.
      Once it is stabilized in development environment then proceedint with promoting all these artifacts into further environments SIT, UAT and finally into Production following by testing. It takes much time for completing this migration.
      2. Is there any other best suggested approach where this migration can be done in very less time with very minimal changes by using migration tools? It is like, installing migration migration tools in development, SIT, UAT and Production environments so that the tools scan the source application server (application code, weblogic proprietary code, Connection Pool, Data Source, JMS Queues, Topics, Web Services, EJBs, deployment descriptors, Configurations and etc), convert the artifacts into the target application server suitable artifacts and finally copy these artifacts into target application server. If there is a strategy like this, it can be completed within very less time.

Please advise me on considering the best strategy.

Thanks in advance.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        102 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T03:00:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Addition to point#2, the environments Development, SIT, UAT and Production are not same. It is very very difficult to bring these environments (Development, Production, etc) into sync.

Thanks in advance!
        • DanaDuffield
          DanaDuffield
          11 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-30T15:33:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Hi,

This is a good general question on best practices for managing WebSphere Application Server configuration. Here's my view on options.

1) wsadmin commands and Jython - For complete control and repeatability without extra licensing expense are a good answer. It's part of WAS and has been our traditional answer for automation. Of course there are tradeoffs, it is not trivial to write a complete set of scripts to be able to configure complete environments and once completed will also require ongoing development to maintain them to address new configuration requirements. It is writing a program. RAD has support for Jython and you can use command assist feature of the admin console to provide some assistance. You can also tailor it to support multiple environments using property files. It is no additional charge and provides a repeatable solution.

2) Property file based configuration - Also part of WAS and provides a repeatable solution. You can create one environment, extract it into a set of property files based on logical groupings and use those as templates for creating other configurations. These can also be modified or augmented for specific test environments. Not all of the WAS configuration object model is supported but it does support the vast majority. It is no additional charge and provides a repeatable solution. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0904_chang/0904_chang.html

3) Automation tools - Products like RAF (Rational Automation Framework) provide more support and flexibility with less effort. RAF can import, export, compare and provide migration support across versions. Problems like configuration drift can be addressed. It would be an additional charge and provides a repeatable solution. http://www-142.ibm.com/software/products/us/en/ratiautofram

Hope this helps

Thanks, Dana
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            102 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-04T08:00:27Z  in response to DanaDuffield
            Yes, it helps. Thank you very much Dana.
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              102 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T10:36:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              Hi Dana,

Regarding#3:Automation tools - I have gone through the link you provided. The automation tools like RAF (Rational Automation Framework) are talking about migrating WebSphere previous versions to latest versions.

But, I am looking for migrating WebLogic to WebSphere. I will be a great help if you provide me with a reference/link where I can get the guidelines for migrating WebLogic to WebSphere using tools like RAF.

Thank you very much in advance.
              • DanaDuffield
                DanaDuffield
                11 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-14T17:25:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Hi,

There are some limited choices for automated configuration migration from WebLogic to WebSphere. One manual reference is here: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0706_vines/0706_vines.html#sec1b Once that is done you can use some of the techniques I outlined earlier to propagate throughout the WAS environments.

Another that is available is shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6RQ7X44-kE which was available for a time in beta. It can now be used in partnership with the WebSphere Competitive Migration Team in a ProofOfConcept (POC) workshop which as I understand it is no charge. If you would like to take advantage of this work with your IBM Sales Rep.

Thanks
                • SystemAdmin
                  SystemAdmin
                  102 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-18T08:48:32Z  in response to DanaDuffield
                  Thank you very much Dana. For migrating the server configurations, we almost decided to go with wsadmin.

Regarding the migration of application code: WAS-Migration-Toolkit doesn't serve our requirement. Our requirement is, we want to install and execute a tool on SIT, UAT and Production environments on AIX servers (where the actual weblogic servers installed) which has to scan the WAR or JAR or EAR or application artifacts and has to provide us with websphere compliant WAR or JAR or EAR or application artifacts. Later, we will install and execute the same tool on those different environements on AIX servers (where websphere servers installed) which has to copy/deploy the same artifacts into websphere servers. Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you Dana.
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    102 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-18T08:52:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                    One more addition: We don't want to go with source code since the source code in version control/repository may not be in sync with the artifacts in production environment.

Thanks!
                    • DanaDuffield
                      DanaDuffield
                      11 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-18T16:56:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      Hi,

I can understand the requirements but I don't know of anything existing today that would satisfy them. It is technically feasible to do some of this mapping. Support like bindings updates could be handled in this kind of a scenario but there are other situations that could not. Cases like using WebLogic specific interfaces and potential differences in JRE behavior differences couldn't be handled easily, if at all. These types of changes are required to be done in the source code today. There may be some technical solution using java byte code swapping but that would be an extensive product development cycle that I would think would be costly.

It's unfortunate that your source code is dated, this will make the conversion more difficult but I don't have an answer hat will meet your requirements.

Thanks
                      • SystemAdmin
                        SystemAdmin
                        102 Posts
                        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-19T11:52:54Z  in response to DanaDuffield
                        The reason behind asking this question is, there are the chances of having these type of applications, rarely. Thank you very much Dana, for your valuable inputs and suggestions.