• 55 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2015-03-17T16:34:57Z by yllw98stng
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3234 Posts

Pinned topic I/O module has incorrect VPD information

‏2013-01-28T09:27:38Z |
Hello!

We have warning message on our BladeCenter "I/O module 1 has incorrect VPD information" in AMM web interface. (screenshot in attach)

There are no errors in event log, which can explain this warning message.

Cisco Ethernet Switch module in BladeCenter worked normally, but we can't understand why this event happened and how to fix it.

Thank you so much!
Updated on 2013-01-29T11:22:26Z at 2013-01-29T11:22:26Z by SystemAdmin
  • MichaelHMartel
    MichaelHMartel
    32 Posts

Re: I/O module has incorrect VPD information

‏2013-01-28T11:15:52Z  
    We get this from time to time. I've contacted IBM on this a number of times. They have a perl script you can run from a box and fix the corrupted VPD. The last I knew they still did not know what causes this issue.

My reccomendation would be to contact IBM support.

Michael
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts

‏2013-01-29T11:22:26Z  
    We get this from time to time. I've contacted IBM on this a number of times. They have a perl script you can run from a box and fix the corrupted VPD. The last I knew they still did not know what causes this issue.

Michael
    It means I can't found and run this script without IBM support engineer and bug will not be corrected, if my contract has expired?
  • Javi_CR
    Javi_CR
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-23T16:09:26Z  

I have the script,  how do I run it ? Where in the AMM ? Or in the Blade Switch ?

• Javi_CR
    Javi_CR
    4 Posts

‏2013-05-23T17:28:54Z  
    • Javi_CR
    • ‏2013-05-23T16:09:26Z

I have the script,  how do I run it ? Where in the AMM ? Or in the Blade Switch ?

It works! 

$ perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl <amm IP> <userid> <active AMM>  <switch> <offset> <type>

where 
       <amm IP>      is IP @ of amm.                e.g. 9.42.161.57
       <userid>      is login id for amm.           e.g. USERID 
       <active AMM>  is which AMM is active         valid values:  1,2
       <switch>      is switch bay with bad switch  valid values:  1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10
       <offset>      is offset to bad VPD area      valid values:  0,2
                     if failure shows vpd version C304, set offset to 0
                     if failure shows vpd version D6A0, set offset to 2
       <type>        optional parameter      
                     is type of switch (if 8677)    valid values:  BCE,BCER (default=BCE)
                     note: 8677 has 2 midplane types (BCE/BCER)
                           if script fails running on 8677 try running with type=BCER

examples:
          perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl  9.42.161.43 USERID PASSW0RD 1 1 0
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 0 on switch in slot 1 with AMM 1 active
          perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl  9.42.161.43 USERID PASSW0RD 1 2 BCER
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 2 on switch in slot 1 of BCER chassis with AMM1 active
  • IBMAssistance
    IBMAssistance
    2 Posts

‏2013-05-24T14:14:53Z  

Michael

Michael, where do you suppose to run the script?

• AkeemDaly
    AkeemDaly
    2 Posts

‏2013-06-12T21:29:09Z  
    • Javi_CR
    • ‏2013-05-23T17:28:54Z

It works! 

$ perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl <amm IP> <userid> <active AMM>  <switch> <offset> <type>

where 
       <amm IP>      is IP @ of amm.                e.g. 9.42.161.57
       <userid>      is login id for amm.           e.g. USERID 
       <active AMM>  is which AMM is active         valid values:  1,2
       <switch>      is switch bay with bad switch  valid values:  1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10
       <offset>      is offset to bad VPD area      valid values:  0,2
       <type>        optional parameter      
                     is type of switch (if 8677)    valid values:  BCE,BCER (default=BCE)
                           if script fails running on 8677 try running with type=BCER

examples:
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 0 on switch in slot 1 with AMM 1 active
          perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl  9.42.161.43 USERID PASSW0RD 1 2 BCER
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 2 on switch in slot 1 of BCER chassis with AMM1 active

Javi can you attach or send a copy of this script please?

• Javi_CR
    Javi_CR
    4 Posts

‏2013-06-12T21:58:12Z  
    • AkeemDaly
    • ‏2013-06-12T21:29:09Z

Javi can you attach or send a copy of this script please?

Sure.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Regards, 

Javier

Attachments

• AkeemDaly
    AkeemDaly
    2 Posts

‏2013-06-12T23:03:02Z  
    • Javi_CR
    • ‏2013-06-12T21:58:12Z

Sure.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Regards, 

Javier

That worked perfect! Thanks Javier!

• MichaelK13
    MichaelK13
    2 Posts

‏2013-07-01T10:03:11Z  
    • AkeemDaly
    • ‏2013-06-12T23:03:02Z

That worked perfect! Thanks Javier!

I have the same problem. I ran the script twice, the problem was corrected, but a few days later, she appeared again ...

Details of my network switch:

Product ID: WS-CBS3012-IBM-I

Software: 12.2(55)SE

Updated on 2013-07-01T10:17:08Z at 2013-07-01T10:17:08Z by MichaelK13
  • Givemeahint
    Givemeahint
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-18T18:44:43Z  
    • Javi_CR
    • ‏2013-05-23T16:09:26Z

HI Javi

Where did you end up running this script from?  I've tried from the AMM CLI and the CMD prompt and no joy.  I've got the PERL binaries installed, am I missing anything else?

Thanks

• Givemeahint
    Givemeahint
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-18T19:14:24Z  

HI Javi

Where did you end up running this script from?  I've tried from the AMM CLI and the CMD prompt and no joy.  I've got the PERL binaries installed, am I missing anything else?

Thanks

Found it.  I had to download PLINK.EXE from here http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html and replace SSH with PLINK in the script.

• Javi_CR
    Javi_CR
    4 Posts

‏2013-07-18T19:25:16Z  

Found it.  I had to download PLINK.EXE from here http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html and replace SSH with PLINK in the script.

Good let me know if you need extra help!

• Givemeahint
    Givemeahint
    3 Posts

‏2013-07-18T19:29:43Z  
    • Javi_CR
    • ‏2013-07-18T19:25:16Z

Good let me know if you need extra help!

The script doesn't fix the issue and returns an 'Corrupt VPD not found".  I've tried different parameters, but still no joy.  I guess it's a call to IBM then !

• AcalBarton
    AcalBarton
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-13T14:39:13Z  

Can Somebody please advise which prompt i need to run this scripts from?

• Josh_Corder
    Josh_Corder
    94 Posts

‏2013-08-13T15:15:05Z  

Can Somebody please advise which prompt i need to run this scripts from?

You need to run that script from any terminal command line that can access, or is in the same vlan as the AMM.  Basically, if you can reach the AMM via command line you can run it.

• AcalBarton
    AcalBarton
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-13T15:35:36Z  

You need to run that script from any terminal command line that can access, or is in the same vlan as the AMM.  Basically, if you can reach the AMM via command line you can run it.

Thanks Josh, when i log in to the AMM via ssh I get the system> prompt. how do  get to the CLI prompt where I can run the perl command?

• Josh_Corder
    Josh_Corder
    94 Posts

‏2013-08-13T15:42:56Z  

Thanks Josh, when i log in to the AMM via ssh I get the system> prompt. how do  get to the CLI prompt where I can run the perl command?

You don't log in to the AMM.  You feed it the IP address, username, and password from your terminal BEFORE you log in.

• AcalBarton
    AcalBarton
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-14T15:44:59Z  

You don't log in to the AMM.  You feed it the IP address, username, and password from your terminal BEFORE you log in.

I am still struggling with this. When I run the script it just sits at enter AMM password when prompted below: and never prompts for the password.

if you try to enter the password it comes up with FATAL Error: server unexpectedly closed network connection.

any ideas?

• Josh_Corder
    Josh_Corder
    94 Posts

‏2013-08-14T17:55:27Z  

I am still struggling with this. When I run the script it just sits at enter AMM password when prompted below: and never prompts for the password.

if you try to enter the password it comes up with FATAL Error: server unexpectedly closed network connection.

any ideas?

Are you supply the password as a variable when calling the script?

USERID and PASSW0RD are actually the login information you have set for the AMM.  If PASSW0RD is not the password, then you must specify what you are using in order for it to work.

• AcalBarton
    AcalBarton
    4 Posts

‏2013-08-15T09:21:39Z  

Are you supply the password as a variable when calling the script?

USERID and PASSW0RD are actually the login information you have set for the AMM.  If PASSW0RD is not the password, then you must specify what you are using in order for it to work.

The script doesnt run when I add the password as a variable.

perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl 192.168.100.96 USERID PASSW0RD 1 2 0

It returns "MM [ PASSW0RD] is invalid value. Must be active MM: either 1 or 2"

so I try:

perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl 192.168.100.96 USERID 1  2 0  This just returns "enter AMM password when prompted below:" and stays there.

• gez
    gez
    275 Posts

‏2013-08-19T13:07:31Z  

The script doesnt run when I add the password as a variable.

perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl 192.168.100.96 USERID PASSW0RD 1 2 0

It returns "MM [ PASSW0RD] is invalid value. Must be active MM: either 1 or 2"

so I try:

perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl 192.168.100.96 USERID 1  2 0  This just returns "enter AMM password when prompted below:" and stays there.

You will be prompted to enter the AMM password up to 4 times.  If its prompting you for a password you need to enter it or it will just stay there, its waiting for input from you.  This is normal.   If you are getting a fatal error connection closed message when entering the password, it sounds like the SSH connection to the AMM is being terminated for some reason.  Are you running this script over a network?  If so, maybe try hooking a laptop directly to the AMM and running the script from the laptop.

I just thought of something...something similar happened to me.  I forgot which version of the script I was running when this occurred, and I do not recall the exact error message I was getting, but it was occruing during the enter the password phase of the script.   Run the script and put in the AMM password, let the script fail.  Then log into the AMM web interface and check the event log and see if there are any SSH login failures from userid XXXXX.  compare XXXXX with what you are using in the script.  I ran into an issue one time where even though I was specifying USERID in the script, it was actually trying to log in as 'Administrator' and therefore was failing to authenticate.  To work around the problem I created an 'Administrator' username and the script worked.

Updated on 2013-08-19T13:23:21Z at 2013-08-19T13:23:21Z by gez
  • Marcin_IBM
    Marcin_IBM
    1 Post

‏2013-09-24T11:54:55Z  

The script doesn't fix the issue and returns an 'Corrupt VPD not found".  I've tried different parameters, but still no joy.  I guess it's a call to IBM then !

This is the same error I'm getting also.  "Corrupt VPD not found".  I downloaded PLINK as well, and replaced the ssh commands in the script file with "plink".  What did IBM end up saying Givemeahint?

What SSH client is everyone else using to complete this?

• gez
    gez
    275 Posts

‏2013-09-27T16:30:15Z  

This is the same error I'm getting also.  "Corrupt VPD not found".  I downloaded PLINK as well, and replaced the ssh commands in the script file with "plink".  What did IBM end up saying Givemeahint?

What SSH client is everyone else using to complete this?

You can get 'corrupt VPD not found' if the AMM is caching the VPD info.  Reboot the AMM then run the script again

• jimcgreen
    jimcgreen
    4 Posts

‏2013-12-31T22:02:40Z  
    • gez
    • ‏2013-08-19T13:07:31Z

You will be prompted to enter the AMM password up to 4 times.  If its prompting you for a password you need to enter it or it will just stay there, its waiting for input from you.  This is normal.   If you are getting a fatal error connection closed message when entering the password, it sounds like the SSH connection to the AMM is being terminated for some reason.  Are you running this script over a network?  If so, maybe try hooking a laptop directly to the AMM and running the script from the laptop.

I just thought of something...something similar happened to me.  I forgot which version of the script I was running when this occurred, and I do not recall the exact error message I was getting, but it was occruing during the enter the password phase of the script.   Run the script and put in the AMM password, let the script fail.  Then log into the AMM web interface and check the event log and see if there are any SSH login failures from userid XXXXX.  compare XXXXX with what you are using in the script.  I ran into an issue one time where even though I was specifying USERID in the script, it was actually trying to log in as 'Administrator' and therefore was failing to authenticate.  To work around the problem I created an 'Administrator' username and the script worked.

I am getting the same error as AcalBarton

I enter

c:\strawberry>perl fix_ssh_vpd.pl  10.0.0.7 USERID PASSW0RD 1 1 0

and receive

Script to detect and fix incorrect VPD on cisco switch such as 3012/3110G.

Syntax
      perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl <amm IP> <userid> <active AMM>  <switch> <offset> <type>
      where
       <amm IP>      is IP @ of amm.                e.g. 9.42.161.57
       <userid>      is login id for amm.           e.g. USERID
       <active AMM>  is which AMM is active         valid values:  1,2
       <switch>      is switch bay with bad switch  valid values:  1,2,3,4,7,8,9,10
       <offset>      is offset to bad VPD area      valid values:  0,2
       <type>        optional parameter
                     is type of switch (if 8677)    valid values:  BCE,BCER (default
    =BCE)
                           if script fails running on 8677 try running with type=BCE
    R

examples:
          perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl  9.42.161.43 USERID PASSW0RD 1 1 0
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 0 on switch in s
    lot 1 with AMM 1 active
          perl fix-vpd-ssh.pl  9.42.161.43 USERID PASSW0RD 1 2 BCER
                  will check and fix vpd if corruption is at offset 2 on switch in s
    lot 1 of BCER chassis with AMM1 active

you will be prompted up to 4 times for password associated with AMM

MM [PASSW0RD] is invalid value.  Must be active MM: either 1 or  2

;