• 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-29T15:33:27Z by SystemAdmin
1 Post

Pinned topic Allow Optim TDM to Discover i-Series DB2 Relationships

‏2013-01-27T20:10:31Z |
Actually I am now implementing IBM Optim test data management solution on i-series banking database, my scope is to mask database columns that contain credit card numbers in around 3000 table located in i-series database .I decided to transform this credit card numbers using Optim TDM mask function: “Trans CCN”, however I faced a problem that the tables relationships is defined at application layer in other words the definition of the database tables doesn't contain primary or foreign keys defined, also I doesn’t have full knowledge about the exact relationships between this amount of tables in order to propagate each masked column to its related tables.
So I need a way to make Optim discover the relationships between this amount of tables and transform the discovered relations into Optim relationships automatically in order to perform the masking process without losing the test data consistency.
Please find below my environment specifications:
Optim Server: IBM Optim 7.3.1 installed on Windows 2008 32-bit
Target database: DB2 UDB for iSeries: V5R4
Updated on 2013-01-29T15:33:27Z at 2013-01-29T15:33:27Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    304 Posts

Re: Allow Optim TDM to Discover i-Series DB2 Relationships

My apologies for the delay in getting to your question.

One of the challenges when building Optim Access Definitions to traverse tables within a data model, is the availability of the relationship definitions. Generally,
    Optim gets these definitions from the metadata in the DBMS catalog that you are using (in this case UDB DB2). However, as you noted, there is no reference to these
    relationships in the catalog, because they are all contained within the application itself.

If the application in question here was JDE, PeopleSoft, Siebel, etc., we have done the research and provide 'templates' that contain the base Access Definitions to access
    these data models. However, in this case we do not have the information and we cannot get the definitions from the catalog. But all is not lost, Optim allows you to Import metadata definitions as long as they adhere to the syntax that we are looking for. Generally, if the model is mapped within Erwin (just an example) or other software that will
    allow the export of the metadata definitions, this will work for Optim.

However, we can not go after the internal application information directly ....

Hope this helps answer question,