• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-21T22:28:13Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
112 Posts

Pinned topic problem while moving TDSz to more recent z/OS + DB2

‏2013-01-27T15:40:37Z |
Hello!
I'm trying to move our TDSz-1.8.0, from z/OS-1.9 + DB2-V8, to z/OS-1.13 + DB2-V10.
TDSz-1.8.0 installation on new environment was OK.

When trying to make some COLLECTs always receive following SQL error:

DSNT408I SQLCODE = -302, ERROR: THE VALUE OF INPUT VARIABLE OR PARAMETER
NUMBER 1 IS INVALID OR TOO LARGE FOR THE TARGET COLUMN OR THE TARGET
VALUE

but exactly the same COLLECTs works perfectly well at previous environment (z/OS-1.9 + DB2-V8), meaning values are not invalid or too large.

Does anybody faced something similar?
Any hint will be very much appreciated.
Regards, Ricardo
Updated on 2013-02-21T22:28:13Z at 2013-02-21T22:28:13Z by SystemAdmin
  • KarlaBester
    KarlaBester
    13 Posts

Re: problem while moving TDSz to more recent z/OS + DB2

‏2013-02-08T03:09:12Z  
    Hi Ricardo

When you put the required zOS 1.13 and DB2 V10 PTFs on TDSz, did you follow the complete HOLD ACTION instructions (for example update system tables, re-install components)?

If you missed some of these steps, or if you did not execute them in the documented order, it may explain your current situation.

Regards
    Karla
    TDSz Level3 Support
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    112 Posts

‏2013-02-13T16:44:50Z  
    Hi Karla!

Just now I saw your reply. I wrongly supposed I would receive an email as soon as somebody replied to my post, but apparently, that is not the case. Sorry about that!

I'm checking, with systems support people, what you have asked for. As soon as I get a reply I'll post it.

Thanks, Ricardo
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    112 Posts

‏2013-02-15T16:20:39Z  
    Hi Karla!

Just now I saw your reply. I wrongly supposed I would receive an email as soon as somebody replied to my post, but apparently, that is not the case. Sorry about that!

I'm checking, with systems support people, what you have asked for. As soon as I get a reply I'll post it.

Thanks, Ricardo
    Hi Karla!

Our system support people have just informed me that no PTFs where applied, so there was no “HOLD ACTION instructions” to follow.

I think my previous post was a little incomplete or misleading. I’ll try to present a more complete picture of the problem, in the hope this could bring to your mind some additional questioning/hint.

We have a TDSz-1.8.0 working very well at a z/OS-1.9 + DB2-V8 environment. A few months ago we installed a z/OS-1.13, with DB2-V10, in another LPAR/CEC.
    In this new environment, we installed from the beginning, a TDSz-1.8.0, following all the 12 steps mentioned in chapter 2 of the TDSz Administration Guide. So, this is a completely new installation of the TDSz-1.8.0. As part of this, I sucessfully installed a few components (z/OS components: Availability, Interval Job/Step Accounting, MVSPM and MVS, plus DFSMS component). Until now, I didn’t move any data from the old TDSz components to this new ones, nor collected any data to that tables.
    BTW, the "sample component" was installed and tested with success.

Besides that, we created, in the “new” TDSz, 3 tables, 1 view and 1 lookup table using exactly the same definitions that we have on the “old” TDSz. This small system, created by us, works with registers SMF_070 and SMF_072_X and is very, very important to us. Using DB2 unload and load functions, I copied the data from the old to the new TDSz; the copied data is correct and completely available for use.

One important point that should be noted related to all the previous information is that we didn’t used any kind of “TDSz migration tools”, to move objects and data from the old to the new TDSz! The new TDSz, including the creation of the few objects defined by us, was built from scratch.

The problem comes when we try to make a collect at the new TDSz, and always get the same SQLCODE error mentioned in the initial post (important: if we make the same collect at the old TDSz, using the same log data, it works perfectly well).

Since my previous post, I made a few more tests with other SMF record types and got following figures: Besides records types 70 and 72, same SQLCODE error with records types 30, 41, 42, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 90 and 92. No error with records types 26 and 64. Unfortunately, couldn’t come to any conclusion based on this data.

Please, let me know if you need any other kind of info.
    Any help/hint will be very much appreciated, really!!!
    Best regards, Ricardo
  • KarlaBester
    KarlaBester
    13 Posts

‏2013-02-19T01:58:20Z  
    Hi Karla!

Our system support people have just informed me that no PTFs where applied, so there was no “HOLD ACTION instructions” to follow.

I think my previous post was a little incomplete or misleading. I’ll try to present a more complete picture of the problem, in the hope this could bring to your mind some additional questioning/hint.

We have a TDSz-1.8.0 working very well at a z/OS-1.9 + DB2-V8 environment. A few months ago we installed a z/OS-1.13, with DB2-V10, in another LPAR/CEC.
    In this new environment, we installed from the beginning, a TDSz-1.8.0, following all the 12 steps mentioned in chapter 2 of the TDSz Administration Guide. So, this is a completely new installation of the TDSz-1.8.0. As part of this, I sucessfully installed a few components (z/OS components: Availability, Interval Job/Step Accounting, MVSPM and MVS, plus DFSMS component). Until now, I didn’t move any data from the old TDSz components to this new ones, nor collected any data to that tables.
    BTW, the "sample component" was installed and tested with success.

Besides that, we created, in the “new” TDSz, 3 tables, 1 view and 1 lookup table using exactly the same definitions that we have on the “old” TDSz. This small system, created by us, works with registers SMF_070 and SMF_072_X and is very, very important to us. Using DB2 unload and load functions, I copied the data from the old to the new TDSz; the copied data is correct and completely available for use.

One important point that should be noted related to all the previous information is that we didn’t used any kind of “TDSz migration tools”, to move objects and data from the old to the new TDSz! The new TDSz, including the creation of the few objects defined by us, was built from scratch.

The problem comes when we try to make a collect at the new TDSz, and always get the same SQLCODE error mentioned in the initial post (important: if we make the same collect at the old TDSz, using the same log data, it works perfectly well).

Since my previous post, I made a few more tests with other SMF record types and got following figures: Besides records types 70 and 72, same SQLCODE error with records types 30, 41, 42, 71, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 90 and 92. No error with records types 26 and 64. Unfortunately, couldn’t come to any conclusion based on this data.

Please, let me know if you need any other kind of info.
    Any help/hint will be very much appreciated, really!!!
    Best regards, Ricardo
    Hi Ricardo

You need to first put on the PTFs for APARs PM47009 and PM50083 (and all their pre-requisite PTFs) to upgrade your new TDSz to zOS V1R13 toleration support level, before you collect V1R13 SMF records. When you put on these PTFs, please follow the HOLD actions carefully.

If after this you still have problems, I suggest you open a PMR so we can provide you with the appropriate level of assistance.

Regards
    Karla
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    112 Posts

‏2013-02-21T22:28:13Z  
    Hi Ricardo

You need to first put on the PTFs for APARs PM47009 and PM50083 (and all their pre-requisite PTFs) to upgrade your new TDSz to zOS V1R13 toleration support level, before you collect V1R13 SMF records. When you put on these PTFs, please follow the HOLD actions carefully.

If after this you still have problems, I suggest you open a PMR so we can provide you with the appropriate level of assistance.

Regards
    Karla
    Hi Karla!

I will proceed as you indicated.

When we have all the corrections applied I will inform you/forum the results.
    This, probably, will take a somewhat long period of time - we are an IBM business partner and our agreement doesn't entitles us to have a normal/fast IBM technical support.

Thank you very, very much!!!
    Best regards, Ricardo