Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T20:26:07Z by loicjulien
bmccar
bmccar
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Size estimation?

‏2013-01-27T06:53:43Z |
Does IDA rolled-up size estimation numbers across a database? I see that you can type in volumetrics and it will print these out in various points, but does it provide any intelligence besides just printing what you've directly typed in?

Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2013-02-06T20:26:07Z at 2013-02-06T20:26:07Z by loicjulien
  • loicjulien
    loicjulien
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Size estimation?

‏2013-02-01T18:59:24Z  in response to bmccar
    Hi Brendan,

Our volumetrics basically consists of the following:

1. The ability to model volumetrics information for entities within a Logical Data Model and/or Physical Data Model

2. The ability to transform volumetrics information from a Logical Data Model into a Physical Data Model.
    (Note: transformations between Models of different domains are key use-cases for IDA)

3. The ability to generate default tablespaces based on volumetrics information entered

4. The ability to validate (and subsequently recommend) mismatch between your volumetrics information entered and your storage elements

Hope this helps,
    ~Loic
    • bmccar
      bmccar
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T02:17:16Z  in response to loicjulien
      Thanks for your reply, but honestly I'm still not getting it. Where is this 'mismatch' reported? The online docs recommends to 'generate reports' whereas I don't see any useful information in any report. Is there some sort of guide that walks thru this?
      • loicjulien
        loicjulien
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T20:25:32Z  in response to bmccar
        Hi,

I am including 2 screencaps (in 2 posts) of how this may be used:

1/ If you select a TableSpace, you can leverage the menu: "Apply TableSpace" to add tables. As you do did, the option "Update table space design" will allow to update some of your tablespace properties based on the volumetrics of the assigned tables: extent size, page size, prefetch...
        == Screencap 1 ==

2/ If you select a schema (for instance) you can leverage the menu called "Analyze Model" and select: Physical Data Model section / Index and Storage / Tablespace design check. We may then report validation problems based on your tablespace definition and the volumetrics of assigned tables.
        == Screencap 2 ==

Let me know if this helps,
        ~Loic