Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-27T14:29:12Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47293 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Defining Storage Locations

‏2013-01-25T17:46:17Z |
Hi,

The scenario is i have 2 servers server1(vob server & registry server) & server2 (view server). I am trying to create storage locations and i was successful in creating the vobstorage location on server1. But when i run the below command on server1,

/usr/atria/bin/cleartool mkstgloc -view -force -host server2 -hpath /viewstorage -gpath /viewstorage viewstg /viewstorage

I am getting the below message.

cleartool: Warning: Storage pathname "/" may not reside on host "server2".
cleartool: Error: Must be run on server storage location's host.
cleartool: Error: Unable to create server storage location.

I ran the same command on server2 and i could create the storage location, however when i use lsstgloc to list the storage locations, i am unable to view both the locations

Am i doing something wrong here?

Regards,
Dinil
Updated on 2013-01-27T14:29:12Z at 2013-01-27T14:29:12Z by SystemAdmin
  • pdubovitsky
    pdubovitsky
    189 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Defining Storage Locations

‏2013-01-25T18:45:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    // however when i use lsstgloc to list the storage locations, i am unable to view both the locations

Hi,

I might be wrong, but it looks like server1 and server2 are not sharing the same registry server or using different network regions.

Pavel
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      47293 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-26T22:30:57Z  in response to pdubovitsky
      They are sharing the same registry host. The rgy_hosts.conf file in server2 has server1 as the value.
      • pdubovitsky
        pdubovitsky
        189 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-26T23:35:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        What about ClearCase network region? If it is the same, you should be able to see both storage locations using ct lsstg command.

BTW, is the view store mounted as /viewstorage on all ClearCase clients? In order to be used as a global path, it should be available on all hosts this way.

Pavel
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          47293 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-26T23:42:49Z  in response to pdubovitsky
          Yes its the same network region.

And yes i have not mounted /viewstorage on server1. Guess thats the mistake i am doing.
          Should i also mount /vobstorage on server2?

Regards,
          Dinil
          • pdubovitsky
            pdubovitsky
            189 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-27T13:32:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Yes, view and VOB storage needs to be accessible (unless you are going to use snapshot views via CCFS only).
            The easiest way would be to use automounter with dynamic -hosts map. In this case, there is no need to mount NFS shares in advance. If the storage directory is shared on the server, it can be accessed from any allowed client on demand via /net/<host>/<path_on_the_host> path.

Pavel
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              47293 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-27T14:29:12Z  in response to pdubovitsky
              pdubovitsky wrote:
              > The easiest way would be to use automounter with dynamic -hosts map.
              Just do not use soft mounts, i.e. make sure that once mounted, the mounts don't get dropped.
              Issues raised by automounters are difficult to trace, because they depend on the context: error, delay, or timeout...
              Marc