Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-28T17:10:15Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5842 Posts

Pinned topic Add specific work logs to a QBR

‏2013-01-25T12:47:19Z |
I would like to be able to add the contents (long description) of specific work logs to a report. Currently the report has details such as WONUM, dates, description etc, but at the end I would like a column which shows 'work carried out', which at the moment comes from a worklog created from our mobile software.

What I would like to do is say for example order 1000, find the worklog titled 'completion details' and show the contents of this worklog on the report.

I would also like to keep the QBR as a list rather than a details report. Is this possible?
Updated on 2013-01-28T17:10:15Z at 2013-01-28T17:10:15Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

Re: Add specific work logs to a QBR

‏2013-01-25T13:48:58Z  
    Hello vhsteve,
    you can create new relationships for involed objects: a new relationship for WorkOrder versus WorkLog that has 'completion details' in description; a new relationship for WorkLog versus LongDescription.
    After this you can create a new Report Object Structure (ROS) usign the new relationships.
    When you create ROS, ensure to set SINGLE cardinality for children objects: this allows QBR to stay in list format.

I haven't try it, but I think it can work. I refer to Maximo 7.5.x.

Regards, R.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-25T15:46:52Z  
    Hello vhsteve,
    you can create new relationships for involed objects: a new relationship for WorkOrder versus WorkLog that has 'completion details' in description; a new relationship for WorkLog versus LongDescription.
    After this you can create a new Report Object Structure (ROS) usign the new relationships.
    When you create ROS, ensure to set SINGLE cardinality for children objects: this allows QBR to stay in list format.

Regards, R.
    Please be very careful with the recommendation in the previous entry stating 'When you create ROS, ensure to set SINGLE cardinality for children objects: this allows QBR to stay in list format.'

Single cardinality is used to define 1:1 relationships between database tables. An example of a 1:1 relationship is PR to Vendor. Multiple relationships are used define 1:N or 1:Many relationships. An example of a 1:N relationship is PR to PR Lines.

While the type of cardinality that is defined does impact the style of QBR report your users can create - it also more importantly impacts the data.

If you define a relationship as single when it should be multiple - your users may not get the complete set of correct data in their QBR results. Therefore, please do not set all your relationships to SINGLE - as again - you can then set yourself up for getting incomplete or incorrect data.

More details on cardinality and how they are used within ROS can be found in the Version 7.5 QBR guide here http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21498285
    or the Version 7.1.1.6+ QBR guide here http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21417471
    The information is in the section titled 'Understanding Database Joins and Cardinality'
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-25T15:58:34Z  
    Please be very careful with the recommendation in the previous entry stating 'When you create ROS, ensure to set SINGLE cardinality for children objects: this allows QBR to stay in list format.'

Single cardinality is used to define 1:1 relationships between database tables. An example of a 1:1 relationship is PR to Vendor. Multiple relationships are used define 1:N or 1:Many relationships. An example of a 1:N relationship is PR to PR Lines.

While the type of cardinality that is defined does impact the style of QBR report your users can create - it also more importantly impacts the data.

If you define a relationship as single when it should be multiple - your users may not get the complete set of correct data in their QBR results. Therefore, please do not set all your relationships to SINGLE - as again - you can then set yourself up for getting incomplete or incorrect data.

More details on cardinality and how they are used within ROS can be found in the Version 7.5 QBR guide here http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21498285
    or the Version 7.1.1.6+ QBR guide here http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21417471
    The information is in the section titled 'Understanding Database Joins and Cardinality'
    What PamDenny says is absolutely true.
    When you use single cardinality in ROS, you must create your relationships accordingly.
    In the depicted scenario, relationship worklog <-> longdescription is easy 1:1.
    Relationship workorder <-> worklog must be created carefully to retrieve the only (if exists) worklog of your interest.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-28T09:59:24Z  
    Hello vhsteve,

Regards, R.
    Thanks for that. Would you be able to help me construct the where clause for the worklog relationship? Would it be something like - recordkey=:wonum and class=:woclass and siteid=:siteid and :description='completion details'?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-28T10:31:36Z  
    Thanks for that. Would you be able to help me construct the where clause for the worklog relationship? Would it be something like - recordkey=:wonum and class=:woclass and siteid=:siteid and :description='completion details'?
    If you are sure that there is only one worklog with this description and description is exactly this, the relationship would be

recordkey=:wonum and class=:woclass and siteid=:siteid and description='completion details'

Description is a field of worklog, so it hasn't the ':'.

Alternatively, you can use an additional field in worklog and set it only for the record of your interest. Then you can use this new field in the relationship.

Regards.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-28T13:36:19Z  
    If you are sure that there is only one worklog with this description and description is exactly this, the relationship would be

recordkey=:wonum and class=:woclass and siteid=:siteid and description='completion details'

Description is a field of worklog, so it hasn't the ':'.

Alternatively, you can use an additional field in worklog and set it only for the record of your interest. Then you can use this new field in the relationship.

Regards.
    Thanks. That's worked great on our test system, but having issues getting it working on the live system!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-28T14:14:21Z  
    Thanks. That's worked great on our test system, but having issues getting it working on the live system!
    Actually I don't think it has worked, or I've done it wrong. I've added the two relationships to the workorder object, then added those relationships / source objects to the rep_workorder object structure.

When I create a new report, i add wonum, then decription (from the worklog relationship) and ldtext (from the completion details relationship).

I thought this would return a list a column of wonums, a column of 'compltion details' and a column containing the completion details long description. Instead it is doing the first and second, but the ldtext seems to be picking up other worklogs associated with the work order.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-01-28T17:10:15Z  
    Actually I don't think it has worked, or I've done it wrong. I've added the two relationships to the workorder object, then added those relationships / source objects to the rep_workorder object structure.

When I create a new report, i add wonum, then decription (from the worklog relationship) and ldtext (from the completion details relationship).

I thought this would return a list a column of wonums, a column of 'compltion details' and a column containing the completion details long description. Instead it is doing the first and second, but the ldtext seems to be picking up other worklogs associated with the work order.
    The first relationship must be created between WORKORDER and WORKLOG and the second between WORKLOG and LONGDESCRIPTION.
    The second one is necessary because non persistent fields cannot be used in QBR reports and long description is treated like a non-persistent field.
    Try to use a new ROS from scratch with only these three objects.