3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-30T16:48:06Z by gez
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3234 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic No network connectivity to all blade servers in a BCE

‏2013-01-25T10:20:49Z |
Hi,
I have 2 Blade Center E systems with several blade servers, as well as management module and copper I/O pass-thru modules.
All the hardware has been operational until lately in a production environment, and I am now trying to fit it into a debugging rack.
The problem is that the blade servers don't have network connectivity, even after I have tried all possible combinations of BCE, blade servers, management mudules and I/O modules.

The I/O module are connected to a Cisco switch which I know is configured well and is working with other devices installed in the same rack. Also, all the devices are on the same VLAN with the blade servers, so this is not a configuration issue with the switched/VLANs. I have configured the blade servers with their IP addresses for the particular VLAN, and also made sure the I/O module is enabled within the AMM menu, as per the BCE system installation guide.

The only network 'indication' I currently have, is that the ethernet interfaces on the blade servers' OS (all WIN 2008) all display the status "Network Cable unplugged". The network LEDs are all off on the I/O module and on the switch ports.

This issue is really bugging me as I've been struggling with it for a while, and our hardware team was also unable to help me.

Any ideas, please?
Updated on 2013-01-30T16:48:06Z at 2013-01-30T16:48:06Z by gez
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3234 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: No network connectivity to all blade servers in a BCE

‏2013-01-25T12:33:49Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi please verify external ports of I/O module are enabled.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      3234 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-30T10:05:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

The external ports are enabled. I have also tested one of the servers in another BCE (in another rack) - and it was OK there.
      I have also tried all sorts of combinations with different management and I/O modules.

Anything else, perhaps?
      • gez
        gez
        275 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-30T16:48:06Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Plug a 1Gig device , such as a laptop, into one of the ethernet cables coming off the back of the copper passthough module. Check and see if the link comes up. The CPM links will only come up if they are 1G. If the link does come up, you have a problem with your upstream switch. If there is still no link, then there is an issue internal to the bladecenter