Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-02-06T20:41:58Z by loicjulien
bmccar
bmccar
4 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Table Partitioning expression in IDA supported?

‏2013-01-25T03:48:54Z |
How would I express the 'Every' clause for table partitioning in IDA? For example, the following is a common example used in the IBM literature for table partitioning:

CREATE TABLE orders(id INT, shipdate DATE, …)
PARTITION BY RANGE(shipdate)
(
STARTING '1/1/2006' ENDING '12/31/2006'
EVERY 3 MONTHS
)

If I reverse engineer that and regenerate DDL, there is no 'EVERY' clause. Nor does there seem to be any way to specify it in the 'Data Partitioning' properties in IDA.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Updated on 2013-02-06T20:41:58Z at 2013-02-06T20:41:58Z by loicjulien
  • loicjulien
    loicjulien
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Table Partitioning expression in IDA supported?

‏2013-02-01T18:08:32Z  in response to bmccar
    Hi Brendan,

This is currently a gap that we have in Data Studio and IDA. The EVERY clause of partition-element cannot be created in the tool.

I will submit a feature request on your behalf for this.

Thanks,
    ~Loic
    • bmccar
      bmccar
      4 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T02:23:47Z  in response to loicjulien
      Ok thanks for your reply, but I have to admit I'm fairly disappointed because now I can't just rely on this tool to maintain a database description that is the definitive source, instead the DDL has to be 'massaged' before it can be used. I can think of one competitive and much less expensive tool that at least allows one to manually extend the generated DDL, and therefore in effect serves my intent better. It's a little hard to believe that IBM's premier tool does not even support its own database in a complete way. At this point I am concerned that since there is no explicit documentation on exactly how IDA does or does not support DB2, that we cannot rely on this tool.
      • loicjulien
        loicjulien
        6 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T20:41:58Z  in response to bmccar
        Hi Brendan,

It is definitely our goal to have our tools support DB2 in a complete way and we fully appreciate your feedback. I have created an internal tracking number so that it can be added to one of our future release.

Thanks,
        ~Loic