Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-08-28T12:15:45Z by jim.barnes
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
30895 Posts

Pinned topic Migration from WebSphere Portal 6.0 to 7.0

‏2013-01-24T12:35:19Z |
I am planning to migrate from WebSphere Portal 6.0 to 7.0. There are many choices that are to be taken on my part, but, I want to make sure first that the following information is correct.

1) Rational Application Developer 8 is the first Rational Application Developer to support WebSphere Portal 7.
2) Rational Application Developer 8.5 is the first Rational Application Developer to support WebSphere Portal 8.
3) Developing JSF portlets using Rational Application Developer 7 is non-standard and IBM would not support it, but it is possible to do.
4) Ratiional Application Developer 7.5 is the first application developer to support JSR 286 portlets.
5) It is possible to migrate themes from portal 6.0 to 7.0, but it is recommended to make a new theme on Portal 7.0 and customize it.

Thanks
Updated on 2013-02-01T13:29:46Z at 2013-02-01T13:29:46Z by Jasi
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    30895 Posts

Re: Migration from WebSphere Portal 6.0 to 7.0

‏2013-02-01T08:00:54Z  
    Below are the replies to your queries:

1.Yes. Rational Application Developer 8 is the recommended development platform of choice for WebSphere Portal 7.

2. Yes. The Rational Application Developer portal development tools in Version 8.5 have been enhanced to take advantage of IBM WebSphere Portal Version 8.0 capabilities.

4. Yes.Rational Application Developer V7.5 adds the support for the newly introduced Java Portlet Specification 2.0 based on the JSR 286

5. Yes. It is recommended to make a new theme on Portal 7 as there are changes in the theme mechanism with the Portal Version.
  • Jasi
    Jasi
    241 Posts

‏2013-02-01T13:29:46Z  
    Regarding #3 - IBM RADv7 lets you develop JSF 1.x portlets using JSR168. Which part of it is non-standard, I do not know.
    IBM supports it very well - JSF runtime, JWL and portlet bridge, all pieces.
  • AshokPal
    AshokPal
    2 Posts

‏2013-08-27T13:22:05Z  
    Below are the replies to your queries:

1.Yes. Rational Application Developer 8 is the recommended development platform of choice for WebSphere Portal 7.

2. Yes. The Rational Application Developer portal development tools in Version 8.5 have been enhanced to take advantage of IBM WebSphere Portal Version 8.0 capabilities.

4. Yes.Rational Application Developer V7.5 adds the support for the newly introduced Java Portlet Specification 2.0 based on the JSR 286

5. Yes. It is recommended to make a new theme on Portal 7 as there are changes in the theme mechanism with the Portal Version.

Hi,

We have migrated portal from WPS6.0 to WPS7.0 but facing some issue like skin and theme are not working on it.

From above post it s clear that we have to make new theme on Portal 7 so I have few question like

1. Do we have to make new skin too on WPS7?

2. If I install Rational Application Developer 8 in my system then I can configure my original web portal in RAD8 for developing and modifying the skin and theme?

Thank you.

• jim.barnes
    jim.barnes
    444 Posts

‏2013-08-27T19:23:59Z  
    • AshokPal
    • ‏2013-08-27T13:22:05Z

Hi,

We have migrated portal from WPS6.0 to WPS7.0 but facing some issue like skin and theme are not working on it.

From above post it s clear that we have to make new theme on Portal 7 so I have few question like

1. Do we have to make new skin too on WPS7?

2. If I install Rational Application Developer 8 in my system then I can configure my original web portal in RAD8 for developing and modifying the skin and theme?

Thank you.

1)  well your old theme should work, but things have certainly changed.  In 7.0 yes if you plan to use pagebuilder theme you need to use pagebuilder skins

2) what do you mean by original wenb portal?  as in 6.0 or what?

• AshokPal
    AshokPal
    2 Posts

‏2013-08-28T09:40:39Z  

1)  well your old theme should work, but things have certainly changed.  In 7.0 yes if you plan to use pagebuilder theme you need to use pagebuilder skins

2) what do you mean by original wenb portal?  as in 6.0 or what?

Thanks for your reply.

I mean whether we can deploy and run our portal 6 in RAD 8 to see the look and feel?

Actually we have migrated our portal from WPS6 to WPS7 and after migration we found that the functionalities of portal are working fine but look and feel (Theme and skin) are not working.

So I am looking for some solution to resolve this issue. Do anybody having any reference document or URL on the same?

• jim.barnes
    jim.barnes
    444 Posts

‏2013-08-28T12:15:45Z  
    • AshokPal
    • ‏2013-08-28T09:40:39Z

Thanks for your reply.

I mean whether we can deploy and run our portal 6 in RAD 8 to see the look and feel?

Actually we have migrated our portal from WPS6 to WPS7 and after migration we found that the functionalities of portal are working fine but look and feel (Theme and skin) are not working.

So I am looking for some solution to resolve this issue. Do anybody having any reference document or URL on the same?

if it is 6.0 I do not believe you can run that in rad 8.0

In regards to theme and skins not working I would need to know more about that, but take a look at the post migration activities first

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/portalwiki.nsf/xpDocViewer.xsp?lookupName=IBM+WebSphere+Portal+7+Product+Documentation#action=openDocument&res_title=Updating_custom_themes_and_skins_to_remove_hardcoded_context_root_references_wp7&content=pdcontent

Is the theme you are having problems with a theme you had been using on 5.0 or 5.1 that you migrated to 6.0?  the best bet is to install firebug and troubleshoot where the errors are coming from in your theme and skin