IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 14 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-06-18T17:09:13Z by damorris
choracy
choracy
14 Posts

Pinned topic How to deploy multiple Navigator instances

‏2013-01-24T09:02:27Z |
I want to deploy multiple Navigator instances on the same or different WAS profile for a P8 installation.

All Navigator instances will share the same Content and Process Engine.

I assume that a second installation of binaries must be performed and will need a separate database for each instance. Also a different context_root when deploying on the same WAS profile.
But has anyone tried it and succeeded?
Updated on 2013-01-25T10:50:36Z at 2013-01-25T10:50:36Z by damorris
  • CBS3_Ian_Wilson
    CBS3_Ian_Wilson
    41 Posts

Re: How to deploy multiple Navigator instances

‏2013-01-24T10:31:46Z  
    See the following article about changing app name / context root:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036657&myns=swgother&mynp=OCSSEUEX&mync=R

I don't think you can change it. So you would need to use a different profile.
  • damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-01-24T21:36:30Z  
    See the following article about changing app name / context root:
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036657&myns=swgother&mynp=OCSSEUEX&mync=R

I don't think you can change it. So you would need to use a different profile.
    Why do you need to deploy multiple instances? This is not supported as there are some files / directories referenced and loaded that are outside of the EAR file.
  • choracy
    choracy
    14 Posts

‏2013-01-25T09:17:43Z  
    Well, right now I need to deploy 2.0.1 and keep my 2.0 installation without having to install a new P8 environment.

There is no way to setup a new server, with WAS and ICN pointing to the existing CE and PE engines?
  • damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-01-25T10:50:36Z  
    • choracy
    • ‏2013-01-25T09:17:43Z
    Well, right now I need to deploy 2.0.1 and keep my 2.0 installation without having to install a new P8 environment.

There is no way to setup a new server, with WAS and ICN pointing to the existing CE and PE engines?
    I'm not sure what having ICN 2.0.1 and 2.0 on the same machine have to do with installing a new P8 environment? You can have multiple ICN versions / installations talking to the same P8 environment. I thought the question in this thread was relative to how to have two installations of ICN on the same machine. Generally we don't support two installations of ICN on the same physical machine.

My recommendation would be to have two separate ICN virtual machines and those could both point at the same P8 environment.
  • Kaushikc
    Kaushikc
    2 Posts

‏2013-04-26T06:49:43Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-01-25T10:50:36Z
    I'm not sure what having ICN 2.0.1 and 2.0 on the same machine have to do with installing a new P8 environment? You can have multiple ICN versions / installations talking to the same P8 environment. I thought the question in this thread was relative to how to have two installations of ICN on the same machine. Generally we don't support two installations of ICN on the same physical machine.

My recommendation would be to have two separate ICN virtual machines and those could both point at the same P8 environment.

Hi, In our project, we are using cache server implementation. So we have deployed Workplace across multiple servers and now we want to implement navigator on all the cache servers.

Is it necessary to install database on all the cache servers or install a common database and point all the cache servers to the same database.

Please let us know.

• damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-04-26T11:43:14Z  
    • Kaushikc
    • ‏2013-04-26T06:49:43Z

Hi, In our project, we are using cache server implementation. So we have deployed Workplace across multiple servers and now we want to implement navigator on all the cache servers.

Is it necessary to install database on all the cache servers or install a common database and point all the cache servers to the same database.

Please let us know.

Hi,

It's up to you.  If you want each ICN to be independent then you can create a database on each system.  If you want all ICN's to be 'the same' then you should have one database that is shared by all of the ICN instances.  You could use database technologies to replicate the same database to each local system.

• djc664
    djc664
    21 Posts

‏2013-04-26T13:58:16Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-04-26T11:43:14Z

Hi,

It's up to you.  If you want each ICN to be independent then you can create a database on each system.  If you want all ICN's to be 'the same' then you should have one database that is shared by all of the ICN instances.  You could use database technologies to replicate the same database to each local system.

Is there any "deployment manager" process to deploy a desktop and related configuration (mime type icons, customized context menus, etc.) from one ICN configuration DB to another?

The scenario I'm trying to achieve here is configure and test in a QA setup identical to my Production environment, and then "deploy" just the relevant "final / tested" desktops without the need of involving my DBA to do back-end work.

I could potentially have dozens of these for our business units depending on need, and would need to be able to quickly create, test and deploy additional desktops for business units. All-in-one database copies are a huge risk from a practical standpoint, as well as our Change Management process.

• damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-04-26T14:01:34Z  
    • djc664
    • ‏2013-04-26T13:58:16Z

Is there any "deployment manager" process to deploy a desktop and related configuration (mime type icons, customized context menus, etc.) from one ICN configuration DB to another?

The scenario I'm trying to achieve here is configure and test in a QA setup identical to my Production environment, and then "deploy" just the relevant "final / tested" desktops without the need of involving my DBA to do back-end work.

I could potentially have dozens of these for our business units depending on need, and would need to be able to quickly create, test and deploy additional desktops for business units. All-in-one database copies are a huge risk from a practical standpoint, as well as our Change Management process.

Not yet.  The ability to export / import desktop definitions is a high priority item that we're working on currently.

• Kaushikc
    Kaushikc
    2 Posts

‏2013-04-29T04:00:36Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-04-26T11:43:14Z

Hi,

Hi,

Is it possible to use the same database instance on shared location for all the ICN applications? Do we have to install database servers on all the locations? Please let us know.

• damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-04-29T13:32:48Z  
    • Kaushikc
    • ‏2013-04-29T04:00:36Z

Hi,

Is it possible to use the same database instance on shared location for all the ICN applications? Do we have to install database servers on all the locations? Please let us know.

Anything is possible, the better question is whether it's a good idea.  If you share a single database across multiple instances, then you could have cases where different admin users overwrite each others changes.  However, since ICN is simply using Type 4 JDBC drivers to connect to the database, you can certainly have multiple independent systems pointing to the same database.

• DavidGautier
    DavidGautier
    47 Posts

Inmport/Export Functionnality

‏2013-06-18T09:18:03Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-04-26T14:01:34Z

Not yet.  The ability to export / import desktop definitions is a high priority item that we're working on currently.

Hi,

Do you have any release date for this ?

Will it be possible to import/export plugins (including jars ) as well as desktop configurations ?

Is there any supported way to do it with current ICN Release ?

Thanks

• damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

Re: Inmport/Export Functionnality

‏2013-06-18T14:15:56Z  

Hi,

Do you have any release date for this ?

Will it be possible to import/export plugins (including jars ) as well as desktop configurations ?

Is there any supported way to do it with current ICN Release ?

Thanks

Later this year is all I can say on a public forum without an NDA.  Importing and exporting plugin information would be included.  The JAR files would not as they are already packaged in an easily moveable format and they can also be loaded via URL from any location.

• DavidGautier
    DavidGautier
    47 Posts

‏2013-06-18T15:42:13Z  
    • damorris
    • ‏2013-06-18T14:15:56Z

Later this year is all I can say on a public forum without an NDA.  Importing and exporting plugin information would be included.  The JAR files would not as they are already packaged in an easily moveable format and they can also be loaded via URL from any location.

Thanks Dana,

Do you have any (authorized) details to provide on the way import/export will be done.

Using Configuration Manager; flat or xml files and if any API will be released to automate the process.

• damorris
    damorris
    774 Posts

‏2013-06-18T17:09:13Z  

Thanks Dana,

Do you have any (authorized) details to provide on the way import/export will be done.

Using Configuration Manager; flat or xml files and if any API will be released to automate the process.

It will be a feature inside the ICN administration in the Desktops area.  We'd export it as a file that you could then import in to another system.  You'll have some options on the export as to what is included.  ICN has a full JS API and you could use that to basically do exactly what the UI is doing.