Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-29T01:30:23Z by markevans
paoloc
paoloc
522 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RBD version 8.0 versus 8.5

‏2013-01-24T08:13:59Z |
I switched to version 8.5 from version 8.0.Fix1 installed.
I must use HATS to convert 5250 applications to web applications.
HATS requires RBD 8.5 version.
Unfortunately, what I could do with version 8.0 I can not with version 8.5. All transactions are long. After any "Generate" I wait several minutes before being able to run the application on tomcat.
PCs development are the same as version 8.0 but now the productivity dropped by 80%.
Is impossible to work in this way.RDB often freezes and I have to restart.
What to do to return to work times similar to version 8.0?
What parameters should I set to work with the same speed as the version 8.0?
the documentation is bad and so I ask advice.

paoloc
Updated on 2013-01-29T01:30:23Z at 2013-01-29T01:30:23Z by markevans
  • markevans
    markevans
    2783 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RBD version 8.0 versus 8.5

‏2013-01-24T23:16:38Z  in response to paoloc
    Paolo,

Functionally there were very few changes between V8.0 and V8.5, so I don't understand why everything is now slow for you. There are no specific parameters that would "slow down" V8.5.

My suggestions would be to:

a.) Double check that all preferences in the workspace are set exactly the same way between V8.0 and v8.5 (maybe export preferences from V8.0 and import into V8.5 to insure this).

b.) That the eclipse.ini has the same settings (especially the memory ones).

c.) Is the "build automatically" turned on or off in V8.0 and the opposite in V8.5 (found under the Projects menu item)

d.) Did you change the version of tomcat as well or are you pointing to the same one. If not, then make sure its settings are the same.

e.) when you say it takes several minutes after "generate".
    + Do you mean the generates themselves take that long (you should be able to see this in the generation results view)
    + Are you generating more parts that you used to somehow (you do say what you are generating)?
    + Is the time "publishing" to or restarting Tomcat?
    • paoloc
      paoloc
      522 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T09:46:47Z  in response to markevans
      Hi Mark:
      To respond to your questions:

a) attachet a txt text with the settings for eclipse.ini with the differences between RDB 8.0 and 8.5.I cant see any relevat difference.
      b) as above
      c) "build automatically" is turned "on" on both bersions
      d) Tomcat version (6.35) is the same
      e) When I generate I generate only the modified egl or jsp program (one or max two)
      The time to publish to Tomcat is the same. Often the generation stops for a long time to 99% (more than 5 minuts).

Can I go back with the zip generated from version 8.5 to version 7.5 (with the latest fix)?
      For the things I have to do in this application I just need version 7.5. With the old version I never had these problems.
      Another problem whit the new version:
      In design mode I cant see things (in Ajax) that I can see in source mode !!!!!!!
      Other persons in my staff tell me to change development environment.

paoloc
    • paoloc
      paoloc
      522 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T10:42:27Z  in response to markevans
      Excuse me!
      This is the attachment with the differences between 8.0 and 8.5
      • markevans
        markevans
        2783 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T14:08:04Z  in response to paoloc
        Paoloc,

Thanks for the info.

The only thing I noticed different in the eclipse.ini is that the V8.5 was installed on the E: drive while V8.0 is on the C: drive.

Any chance the E: drive is a network drive vs a local partition (or some form of external hard drive) that is not as fast as your local C: drive?

On my question a.) I was asking about your preferences (found under Window->Preferences). Your answer referred to eclipse.ini which is different.

Is your V8.5 workspace also on the e: drive (or some other drive that is not local)?

On this response:

e) When I generate I generate only the modified egl or jsp program (one or max two)
        The time to publish to Tomcat is the same. Often the generation stops for a long time to 99% (more than 5 minuts).

To confirm, you are only seeing the one or two in the generation results???

I am not sure what might be going on when it displays "99%" so will see if I can find out if someone knows. It may be the Java Compiles which have to happen as well after the generate.

On your question about taking a zip from V8.5 to V7.5...my assumption is there might be issues. If you want to try it just make sure you only export the projects and import the projects..do not try to share a workspace.

Finally, a new question....is the RBD V8.5 installed on a different machine and/or with a different OS (Windows XP vs Windows 7) or a virtual PC but RBD 8.0 is not.
        • markevans
          markevans
          2783 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T18:00:15Z  in response to markevans
          Paoloc,

A couple of more thoughts/questions:

• When you say you generate a couple of files and it sits on 99% for 5 minutes. Is this repeatable? Does it happen everytime.

• While it is happening, can you open the progress bar and see what might be running. (you can click on the little window panes icon in the lower right hand corner of the perspective).
          • paoloc
            paoloc
            522 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-28T07:30:14Z  in response to markevans
            Mark,
            Yes the 99% problem is repeatable.
            The generation starts and ends without any error then the progress bar shows the message:
            "finalize deployment" and after this the generation starts again.
            Both 8.0 and 8.0 runs on a local drive in two different machines.
            The 8.0 machine is an slow PC and the 8.5 is a new sever xSeries but the generation on the slow machine ends quickly than the xSeries.
            The EGL parameters are the same.

paoloc
            • markevans
              markevans
              2783 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T01:27:23Z  in response to paoloc
              Paoloc,

Can you tell what is being generated when you say the generation starts again?

I don't know what is causing this unless the answer to the above triggers something or someone else has ideas.

So, I would suggest you go ahead and open a problem with the support center so they can gather some documentation (maybe the archive files) and see if they can determine what the issue is.
            • markevans
              markevans
              2783 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-29T01:30:23Z  in response to paoloc
              Paoloc,

Can you tell what is being generated when you say the generation starts again?

I don't know what is causing this unless the answer to the above triggers something or someone else has ideas.

So, I would suggest you go ahead and open a problem with the support center so they can gather some documentation (maybe the archive files) and see if they can determine what the issue is.