3 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-24T20:25:16Z by mburati
afarris7
afarris7
61 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic dynamic input in data page

‏2013-01-24T02:01:46Z |
Hello,

I am dynamically adding input tags from a repeated region to a form. I am trying to use a data page builder using Create New Variable From HTML/From Input Elements.

It seems that the variable that is created only picks up input elements that are hard coded in the html.

How can I include these dynamic input tags? Or perhaps this is the wrong way of going about it. Are there any examples of dynamically creating an input form using a repeated region and utilizes a data page?

Thanks.
Updated on 2013-01-24T20:25:16Z at 2013-01-24T20:25:16Z by mburati
  • mburati
    mburati
    2551 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: dynamic input in data page

‏2013-01-24T05:19:54Z  in response to afarris7
    WEF Page Automation is best used based on an XSD schema describing the inputs/outputs to/from a service operation, and not the much older mechanism of generating data from HTML. That said, if you do tell it to generate based on HTML, it's doing that at "generation" time, which happens once when the app is first requested and not on every request, whereas the repeated region repeating over a list of runtime data happens later at runtime, so you don't base generation (structure) on runtime data.

I hope that info helps,
    ..Mike Burati
    http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.
    • afarris7
      afarris7
      61 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-24T17:59:28Z  in response to mburati
      Can you point me in the right direction as to how to create dynamic input fields? I see how the checkbox builder can be dynamically populated. How can I do this sort of thing with input fields?
      • mburati
        mburati
        2551 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-24T20:25:16Z  in response to afarris7
        I'm sorry, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "dynamic input fields". If by supply the default value for a text input field then as mentioned above, using page automation is the best practice as page automation (Data Page and higher level builders built on it) will track the association between the data in your server side backing store (typically a schema defined XML variable) and the values on the page (both input and output values). The WEF best practice is to let Page Automation generate the page and the input/output fields and populate the fields based on that data and not to use low level control builders like checkbox, text and text input unless you absolutely have to because you're doing something to extend what page automation creates for you (and that's a rare case where you have to, not the norm).

If you're new to WEF I suggest going through the learning roadmap, videos and tutorials on the WEF Wiki (URL below):

I hope that info helps,
        ..Mike Burati
        http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/pfwiki.nsf/
        The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of IBM.