Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-23T14:50:19Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
15496 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic what is the different between Visible vs boxtype = none.

‏2013-01-22T15:27:29Z |
Hi All,

I am using cognos 10.1.1 , relational data, List report.
I am just curious when do we use "Visible" option on the left side of the property under "Positioning" ( you can see this option only when we select the entire list)

property (on the left side) under "Positioning" the option is "Visible". In which situation we have to use this option.

Also when do we use boxtype = none vs Visible option. what exactly it is ?

Thanks,
Winson.
Updated on 2013-01-23T14:50:19Z at 2013-01-23T14:50:19Z by SystemAdmin
  • Rick_J
    Rick_J
    137 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: what is the different between Visible vs boxtype = none.

‏2013-01-22T16:39:22Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I've set the visible property for an object to 'No' on a default prompt page so the report would run a specific way, and then created in-line prompts on the report page. I've used the box type = none in a list report when I needed to burst a crosstab. Since the crosstab contains the data item (Company Code) there was no need to show it section heading. For example, I've got a list report with one data item (Company Code), drop in a crosstab which contains all the necessary data items, section the list column, then set the box type = none. You can also use the Visible option with conditional formatting on a text box, which for me is rare.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      15496 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T19:59:24Z  in response to Rick_J
      Thanks Rick for the valuable explanation. But I never use "Visible" in any case. Ex: let say we have list data container the option only available only for the list not for the individual column. If it does then we can click on the particular column then change it to visible NO or Yes. But what is the point List container has Visible option. when I try to do that to the list only list showing just the list with out the data. Not sure what is the use of it.

Anyway Even I read some lines in the ibm doc but still did not understand when/where we suppose to use.

Here is what I gather from online.

*Box Type *
      Each report object has a container, or box, which can be set to display the contents (the default) or not. This property specifies whether to override the default box type for the object. When set to None, the object is not rendered and its space is not reserved in the report.
      -Box Type-
      Each report object has a container, or box, which can be set to display the contents (the default) or not. This property specifies whether to override the default box type for the object.

When set to None, the object is not rendered and its space is not reserved in the report. You could use this property to remove an object completely from a report when a specific condition is met. When set to Inline, you can insert other objects on the same line as the object. When set to Block, you can insert other objects only on the lines above and below the object.

Visible
      Specifies whether a column or row is visible when the report is executed. You can set the value of this property for multiple objects simultaneously by first control+clicking the items in the report.

-Visible-
      Specifies whether to display the object. When set to No, the object is hidden but a fixed space is reserved in the report.

Thanks,
      Winson.
  • Rick_J
    Rick_J
    137 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-23T00:23:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Well I have not personally had a situation where I needed to hide an entire list within a report. I suppose you could use the totals/subtotals from one list and place them in another if needed.

Based on the documenation below you could create several different lists within a single page, each containing different data items, and only display the one needed (prompt selection).
    -Box Type-
    When set to None, the object is not rendered and its space is not reserved in the report. You could use this property to remove an object completely from a report when a specific condition is met. When set to Inline, you can insert other objects on the same line as the object. When set to Block, you can insert other objects only on the lines above and below the object.
    I'm not sure, I'm guessing the application itself was developed in a way which allows all report objects to have the same capability, whether it can be utilized or not. idk.

If I come across a situation where I need to hide a list, I'll let you...
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      15496 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-23T14:50:19Z  in response to Rick_J
      Thanks Rick.