• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-25T19:22:11Z by jeffri
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1283 Posts

Pinned topic Remote Ping tool in Tivoli netcool Omnibus Web GUI 7.3.1

‏2013-01-22T12:21:51Z |
Hi All,

I am trying to configure remoteping tool, that is basically based on CGI scripts, in our netcool environment.

I have installed Netcool OMNIbus web GUI 7.3.1 on Windows 2008 R2 Stand server and runnng the remote ping from the web gui console after registering the CGI tool.

Getting error as Unable to run Ping_CGI tool..

Looking forward for your support.

Thanks,
Manish Agrawal
Updated on 2013-01-25T19:22:11Z at 2013-01-25T19:22:11Z by jeffri
  • jeffri
    jeffri
    20 Posts

Re: Remote Ping tool in Tivoli netcool Omnibus Web GUI 7.3.1

‏2013-01-22T13:29:44Z  
    Hi,

Please check:
    1. the Windows 2008 R2 machine has Perl installed
    2. the top of the CGI script, e.g., #!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe, points to the right path where Perl is installed.

Note that by default Web GUI comes with a few versions of ping CGI scripts - Unix, Linux and Windows. Therefore, check also that the remoteping tool is pointing to the Windows version of the script (you can either modify the tool slightly, or rename the CGI script name so that it corresponds to the tool configuration.
    Hth,
    Jeffri
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1283 Posts

‏2013-01-22T15:18:07Z  
    • jeffri
    • ‏2013-01-22T13:29:44Z
    Hi,

Please check:
    1. the Windows 2008 R2 machine has Perl installed
    2. the top of the CGI script, e.g., #!C:\Perl\bin\perl.exe, points to the right path where Perl is installed.

Note that by default Web GUI comes with a few versions of ping CGI scripts - Unix, Linux and Windows. Therefore, check also that the remoteping tool is pointing to the Windows version of the script (you can either modify the tool slightly, or rename the CGI script name so that it corresponds to the tool configuration.
    Hth,
    Jeffri
    Hi Jeffri,

Many thanks for your reply..

Actually we dont have perl installed on 2008 server (Web GUI server). Do we have any other way to do remote ping without having the perl on the server?

Regards,
    Manish Agrawal
  • jeffri
    jeffri
    20 Posts

‏2013-01-25T19:22:11Z  
    Hi Jeffri,

Many thanks for your reply..

Actually we dont have perl installed on 2008 server (Web GUI server). Do we have any other way to do remote ping without having the perl on the server?

Regards,
    Manish Agrawal
    Hi Manish,

You can think of CGI as a kind of protocol that is independent of the programming language. It's just that it's common that CGI scripts are implemented using Perl. However I have personally seen CGI script implemented using Unix Shell script as well as an executable binary.

In your case, I can think of 2 options:
    1. write the 'script' using C, C++ (or similar), compile it into an executable, and place it into the cgi-bin folder
    2. write the script as a Windows batch script (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/164674)

For #2, I'm not sure if it'll work but it's worth a try. I'd suggest that you skip over all the Windows registry modification steps, and just try out the sample script provided on the web page to see if you can get anything back. Its registration as a valid CGI script in Web GUI is done as usual.
    Hth,
    Jeffri