6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-22T16:24:55Z by neni
Joe78
Joe78
60 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Inventory about the users logging in

‏2013-01-21T08:06:21Z |
Hello Friends,

I am using cognos 8.3 and Is it possible to get the information of who are the users are logged in date wise, the information is needed who are all using the cube right now.

I have checked the log file but I could not find it, could you please help me.

Regards

Joe
Updated on 2013-01-22T16:24:55Z at 2013-01-22T16:24:55Z by neni
  • Rick_J
    Rick_J
    138 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Inventory about the users logging in

‏2013-01-21T09:57:24Z  in response to Joe78
    Have you tried setting up an audit table?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/c8bi/v8r4m0/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.swg.im.cognos.ug_cra.8.4.0.doc/ug_cra_id3335Setupauditreports.html
    1. Log into Cognos Connection
    2. Go to Cognos Administration
    3. Click the Configuration tab, and then click Dispatchers and Services.
    4. Under the Actions column, beside http://<machine_name>:9300, click Set properties, and then click the Settings tab.
    5. Under the Value column, set the logging level to BASIC for all services and the dispatcher, and then click OK.
    6. Repeat steps 4 & 5 to set the same logging levels for other registered dispatchers.
    7. Log off.
    8. Log onto your SQL Server or other data warehouse application and check out the tables in the Audit database

or something along those lines.
    • Joe78
      Joe78
      60 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-21T10:59:57Z  in response to Rick_J
      Hello RicK,

Thanks for your reply, as you said I tried but my requirement is I would like to see the past usage of the user, who logged when and how long.

I hope the log file will help you to get the information, but I don't know how to do this...

for instance, I have a customer, his name is Lanzer, I would like to know the when Lanzer accessed and how long not now the past I would like to create a report.

Hope I am clear.

Regards

Joe
  • Rick_J
    Rick_J
    138 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T00:09:48Z  in response to Joe78
    I'm not real sure what your asking but I can tell you that after an audit database has been added to the configuration parameters in IBM Cognos Configuration, the audit database schema is added to the database (at next restart). The audit database is composed of 18 tables, two of which contain data about login information (COGIPF_USERLOGON and COGIPF_ACTION). Logon related information can be recorded by enabling auditing for the IBM Cognos Content Manager service. With the usage audit data stored in a relational data source, reporting becomes possible. Cognos provides a sample audit model that includes several sample reports. I suggest you install the samples and refer to the Cognos documentation to get all the benefits.
    • Joe78
      Joe78
      60 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T05:10:32Z  in response to Rick_J
      Hello Rick,
      Thanks a lot for your help, I have attached the screen shot of my Admin property,

1.Do you want me to change all from minimal to basic, Please confirm

2. If I do that where I can find the files, by default where it will be stored (COGIPF_USERLOGON and COGIPF_ACTION), because when I search these two files in the server, it says not found.

Please confirm, it will affect the existing cubes, etc..

Regards

Joe
      • DanielWagemann
        DanielWagemann
        411 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T15:22:52Z  in response to Joe78
        Please have a look at this link http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/cognos/page359.html
        in addition to the one Rick already provided you.

Have a read through these as they cover the logging levels and explain the the COGIPF_* are actually database tables instead of files.
  • neni
    neni
    42 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T16:24:55Z  in response to Joe78
    Do you have the "audit" package ?
    you can get this information easily from the Audit Package. you create report and look for the user log on information and what reports they have ran and all other details.