• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-23T06:01:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
603 Posts

Pinned topic Technical Skills to understand and work on BIG DATA

‏2013-01-21T07:07:58Z |
Hi,

I am new to BIG DATA and I am looking to build my skills in the area. I have worked on ESB technologies and have good knowledge on UNIX. I would rate myself as a Beginner in JAVA and SQL. How easy or difficult would it be for me to learn and work on BIG DATA. Do you recommend training on JAVA/SQL before I start on with BIG DATA. I have 5 yrs of experience in IT and pre-dominantly in the SOA area.

Thanks in anticipation.
Updated on 2013-01-23T06:01:41Z at 2013-01-23T06:01:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

Re: Technical Skills to understand and work on BIG DATA

‏2013-01-22T04:49:11Z  
    I can see that a few of you have viewed my post. If any of you can help me on how to take my next step into the BIG DATA world I would be very thankful.
  • YangWeiWei
    YangWeiWei
    72 Posts

‏2013-01-22T09:49:35Z  
    Hi Vinay, you can start from learning hadoop, understand how it resolves big data problems. You can read the book "Hadoop the definitive guide" and it can help a lot. Then you can try to learn some free causes in http://www.bigdatauniversity.com/, lots of resources can be found there. Have fun !
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2013-01-22T11:12:15Z  
    Hi Vinay, you can start from learning hadoop, understand how it resolves big data problems. You can read the book "Hadoop the definitive guide" and it can help a lot. Then you can try to learn some free causes in http://www.bigdatauniversity.com/, lots of resources can be found there. Have fun !
    Thanks a lot YangWeiWei for getting back to me. Actually I have completed "Hadoop the Definitive Guide" yesterday. I also have registered for the "Hadoop Fundamentals" course in BigDataUniversity and just started off with the course today. As I read through "Hadoop the Definitive Guide" i felt that some Java/SQL skills would be required to work on BIG DATA Technologies. Since I have very basic understanding of Java/SQL I was not sure as to if i need to get into the depths of JAVA/SQL to master BIG DATA Technologies.

Do you think i would need to start of with JAVA/SQL as a pre-requisite to practice BIG DATA.

Anyways thanks again for taking the time to reply back. Hope to hear back from you.
  • YangWeiWei
    YangWeiWei
    72 Posts

‏2013-01-23T01:21:46Z  
    Thanks a lot YangWeiWei for getting back to me. Actually I have completed "Hadoop the Definitive Guide" yesterday. I also have registered for the "Hadoop Fundamentals" course in BigDataUniversity and just started off with the course today. As I read through "Hadoop the Definitive Guide" i felt that some Java/SQL skills would be required to work on BIG DATA Technologies. Since I have very basic understanding of Java/SQL I was not sure as to if i need to get into the depths of JAVA/SQL to master BIG DATA Technologies.

Do you think i would need to start of with JAVA/SQL as a pre-requisite to practice BIG DATA.

Anyways thanks again for taking the time to reply back. Hope to hear back from you.
    Most hadoop stack software are written in Java, it is a basic skill, and you should be able to catch up, that helps you understand the code. SQL as well as rational db concepts are also important, because that helps you understand how big data tech is used to resolve challenges that dbs current are facing. But you also need to understand NoSQL and the way of processing of semi or no structured data.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    603 Posts

‏2013-01-23T06:01:41Z  
    Most hadoop stack software are written in Java, it is a basic skill, and you should be able to catch up, that helps you understand the code. SQL as well as rational db concepts are also important, because that helps you understand how big data tech is used to resolve challenges that dbs current are facing. But you also need to understand NoSQL and the way of processing of semi or no structured data.
    Thanks YangWeiWei for taking the horse to the pond. Let me see how much of water I can drink. Thanks again.