IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 1 reply
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-22T19:16:40Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6184 Posts

Pinned topic what is the difference between "variable" and "literal" in the Terminator

‏2013-01-21T02:38:57Z |
I'm new for WTX.
I don't know what is the difference between "variable" and "literal" in the Terminator syntax object.
Both of them can define more than one value in default property.
Can anyone give me some samples to make it clear?
There are no samples in the IBM document.

thanks
Updated on 2013-01-22T19:16:40Z at 2013-01-22T19:16:40Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6184 Posts

Re: what is the difference between "variable" and "literal" in the Terminator

‏2013-01-22T19:16:40Z  
    A literal terminator is a terminator that doesn't vary, e.g., it's alway CR-LF or LF. A variable terminator may be any of a limited list of values. Variable terminators are common in EDI data where a record terminator might be a LF, CR-LF, tilde, pipe, etc. The WTX validator reads the data and determines the terminator by matching it to the list of possible terminators. I've rarely, if ever, defined a type tree with variable terminators in 15 years and several dozen WTX clients. IN my experience they don't occur very often except with EDI data and those type trees have always been provided in the EDI add-on packages.

I assume you found the documentation:

Variable Sometimes you 

do not know what delimiter is used in the data source, especially 

if you receive that data from an outside source. However, you know all of the possible values that the delimiter could be. You can create an item to represent 

this delimiter and specify all of the possible values as restrictions of that item. The value of the delimiter in the data is found.   To specify an item as a Variable Delimiter:   1. In the Properties view 

for the delimited group, click in the Delimiter > Item value field. 2. Press Alt and drag the item from the type tree editor into the Item field.