• 10 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-23T23:29:32Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts

Pinned topic Terminate a BPD instance with parallel gateway

‏2013-01-18T19:40:58Z |
Hello,

I want to terminate a process.All activities are interrupted correctly but in case I have two activities with a parallel gateway and one of the activities is finished before getting the terminate signal the parallel gateway is still active waiting.
Updated on 2013-01-23T23:29:32Z at 2013-01-23T23:29:32Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

Re: Terminate a BPD instance with parallel gateway

‏2013-01-21T19:04:31Z  
    If you are saying that you used the "terminate" end event in your BPD, or called the terminate method in one of the APIs and there is a use case where there are still active tokens in the BPD after that, that is a bug.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-21T23:50:24Z  
    If you are saying that you used the "terminate" end event in your BPD, or called the terminate method in one of the APIs and there is a use case where there are still active tokens in the BPD after that, that is a bug.

Hi everyone,

Here we were facing the same problem, and the workaround that we figure out was to postpone the parallel flows and for last, the flow responsible, go to a terminate.

Now I can see that is a bug and I feel a little relieved about our solution, but the one important question remains.
    Besides this solution, what solutions could be used and the related drawbacks?

Best regards and I hope that IBM solve this as soon as possible.
    VF
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-01-22T00:12:35Z  
    Hi everyone,

Here we were facing the same problem, and the workaround that we figure out was to postpone the parallel flows and for last, the flow responsible, go to a terminate.

Now I can see that is a bug and I feel a little relieved about our solution, but the one important question remains.

VF
    Have you created a defect report with IBM? (IBM calls these PMRs)

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-22T00:58:48Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-01-22T00:12:35Z
    Have you created a defect report with IBM? (IBM calls these PMRs)

Neil
    Hi,

From my side, we only discover this issue today, so we weren't warned about the fact that this behavior, according to Andrew, is indeed a product's bug.
    So we haven't created a PMR.

Best regards,
    VF
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-01-22T01:01:37Z  
    Hi,

From my side, we only discover this issue today, so we weren't warned about the fact that this behavior, according to Andrew, is indeed a product's bug.
    So we haven't created a PMR.

Best regards,
    VF
    What version of the product are y'all using? I have 8.0.1 to hand and if you have a simple test, I'd be delighted to have a go and see what happens on that release.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-22T07:52:24Z  
    Hi everyone,

VF
    Hello VenFil,

Can u describe a little bit the workarround? What do u mean by postpone the parralel gateway flow?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-23T13:42:02Z  
    Hello VenFil,

Can u describe a little bit the workarround? What do u mean by postpone the parralel gateway flow?
    Hi,

Sorry for being late.
    Yesterday we made several tests for validate this situation and our results shown us that was an error in our side and not in the product.

So, first of all, sorry for being wrong about this and give you a wrong idea.

Second, can you attach an image with your process?

Best regards,
    VF
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-23T13:58:40Z  
    Hi,

Sorry for being late.
    Yesterday we made several tests for validate this situation and our results shown us that was an error in our side and not in the product.

So, first of all, sorry for being wrong about this and give you a wrong idea.

Second, can you attach an image with your process?

Best regards,
    VF
    I attached a screenshot for the issue so if one activity is completed then u terminate the process you will get that.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-23T18:19:34Z  
    I attached a screenshot for the issue so if one activity is completed then u terminate the process you will get that.
    Looks to me like you found a corner case the developers didn't handle. I would summarize it as -

If a BPD Instance goes to a terminate end point while a token is waiting on a join element, the token on the join element is not terminated along with the other tokens. This prevents the BPD from going to an end state.

Now, looking at your diagram you are doing an "AND" join, which means "I have a token on every line". You could try changing to an "OR" join, which means "Every token that can reach me has reached me". The difference between AND and OR from the snippet you posted doesn't appear to change the functionality, but might allow the BPD to terminate...

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-23T23:29:32Z  
    Hi,

If Andrew's solution doesn't solve your problem you can attach an intermediate message event. The first task to complete call a UCA that goes to a terminate all.
    I hope it helps.

Best regards,
    VF