Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
13 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-04-06T22:39:41Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
7615 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Attach UCA in process designer 8

‏2013-01-18T19:33:56Z |
Hi everyone,

I'm using IBM BPM 8 and I want to verify if you are facing the same problem.
I'm trying to start an activity by a UCA.

To do this I need to create an UCA and attach it.
The problem is that in the process designer, I cannot select an existing UCA.
Every time I need to create a new UCA and a new function to use as handler.

Can someone tell if is a product issue and if a fix exist or tell me what's wrong?

Best regards,
VF
Updated on 2013-04-06T22:39:41Z at 2013-04-06T22:39:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3315 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Attach UCA in process designer 8

‏2013-01-18T20:34:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    UCA's can be used to start BPDs or wake up Message Intermediate Event handlers. Which one of these two techniques are you using?

Neil
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      7615 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-19T19:15:41Z  in response to kolban
      Hi Neil,

The problem that we face it's regarding the UCA's association.
      We create the activity to use as handler and the UCA.

The problem arrives when associate the UCA to the event. The process designer don't let us associate the UCA to the event.

For now we drag the event from the palete, click in the button to create the UCA and in the UCA click create again to create the handler.

This situation is not acceptable if it is necessary support n listeners for a UCA.

Are you facing this problem?

Best regards,
      VF
      • kolban
        kolban
        3315 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-21T16:24:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I am not aware of any such issues. Perhaps you could build a PDF to describe what you are seeing with screen shots in more detail and post as an attachment to this thread?

Neil
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T21:29:13Z  in response to kolban
          I'm facing exact same problem.
          From one process I want to start an instance of another process. In this case I am evaluating different design options to start the other process. (BPD, IS or Web Service).

In all cases I have created two BPDs. One UCA (Event). One GS to Invoke UCA. Defined input and output variables in GS. Attached GS to UCA. Test run all ok.

Now I want to attach same UCA as used in GS to the start event of BPD2.

Click on event. In trigger field brows for UCA. At first nothing shows. But I noticed if I change view from default "event" to "tag" my UCA shows. Click on UCA and nothing happens, still no UCA attached to event. I tried to add UCA to an IME in process, changed start event from none to message. Still can't attach UCA.
          I'm using 8.0.1

Thanks,
          Chris
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-06T22:03:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Everyone,

I am also experience this kind of issue when the process apps are migrated from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 ,but the process apps which i created in v 8.0.1 UCA's are fine and i can able to select the UCA's.

Thanks,
    Venkat
    • huangjd
      huangjd
      46 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-07T16:31:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I am experiencing the same issue in 8.0.1 (Didn't have this issue in 8.0.0). I can attach the UCA to a send message. But on the message listener, the UCA won't attach (and none appear in the list of available UCAs in the implementation tab). The workaround I am doing is this:

Do not create the UCA from left menu. Instead, drag the message listener onto your BPD. Then on the implementation tab, click "New" (instead of Select). After completion of the UCA wizard, the UCA will be attached correctly. The send message event you can attach the UCA normally.

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-20T20:42:28Z  in response to huangjd
        Hi.
        Still facing same issue as before. Cant attach an UCA to any type of message event unless I create a new one. For my need right now this works since I am using the UCA I create in BPD2 (Receiving IME) from an IS via GS in BPD1 (Sending/trigger).
        Not even if I create a completely new process application in 8.0.1 it will work different than above.
        But soon I need to use the send message and receive message pattern and since the only way I can attach an UCA to any kind of message at the moment is to create a new one I will end up with two different UCAs and that wont work I guess.

So we have done some more investigation about this particular case and I think we are getting down to a problem with the System Toolkit after upgrade from 8.0 to 8.0.1 that might cause this issue.

Here is the full background.
        First we had version 7.5.0
        Upgraded to 7.5.1
        Upgrade to 8.0
        and now to 8.0.1 - but this step caused some problem during upgrade phase about the toolkit.
        Fixed issue with help from IBM Support.
        System Toolkit 8.0.1 became available for all Process Applications.
        Updated dependencies. All fine except now the UCA problem has occurred.
        A second environment that we made upgrade from 8 to 8.0.1 only this happened:
        Existing Process Application without upgrading any dependencies in System Toolkit same problem as described.
        Upgraded dependenies for System Toolkit to use 8.0.1, and viola!!! It works, you see the UCAs when browsing a message event and it attaches properly as well.
        So, my thoughts now are around the System Toolkit Upgrade that has gone wrong some how an I need to find a way to verify the system toolkit, I rather not export System Toolkit from "good" env. to the "problematic" just right now until I get a better understanding if it is the Toolkit that is the problem.

Thought you might be interested to know some progress.

Christian
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T16:11:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I'm working with a process application that was never subscribed to the 8.0 toolkit and am also seeing this issue. System Toolkit is 8.0.1 and it doesn't seem to matter whether I create the UCA using the left-hand sidebar or the "New.." button on a start/end event.

If I create a new event, I can't attach a Message Event at all.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-05T08:36:13Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    We have the same problem. moreover, i cannot remove "repeatable" check in a timer event.
    • huangjd
      huangjd
      46 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-06T22:28:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Filed a PMR, IBM said there is a fix for this coming up in a fix pack release end of 1st quarter (end of this month I guess).

Jonathan Huang | Centric Consulting http://bpmandyou.wordpress.com/
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-06T23:22:28Z  in response to huangjd
        Hi,

That looks great. I hope it comes as soon as possible.

But now, I have another question for you regarding the UCAs.
        Can you say me if you are facing the same related here:
        http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=478175&tstart=0

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
        VF
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        7615 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-06T21:54:49Z  in response to huangjd
        I upgraded to 8.0.1.1 but i'm still not able to select any existing UCA on an intermediate or start message (both receiving and sending). The process app was upgraded from 8.0, to 8.0.1 and now 8.0.1.1; all system toolkits have also been upgraded. The popup does not show the existing UCA unless I change the default filter to something else such as name. but if I select an UCA nothing happens and it is not selected.

Does anyone else have these kind of problems? Any workarounds?

Kind regards,
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          7615 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-06T22:39:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Solved it! You need to select a type for each UCA now (Message or Content), if you do this for all your existing UCA everything works and all UCA are shown in the view; otherwise you get a NullPointerException because of an undefined type.

Kind regards,

Jacob