• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-25T18:31:55Z by Art_Jolin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1485 Posts

Pinned topic Websphere extreme scale verses oracle coherence

‏2013-01-18T10:47:09Z |
Hi All,

Please can any one tell me the pros and cons of using websphere extreme scale and oracle coherence.
Because i have given a chance to make choice between these 2 and implement my things.
I m confused which product to use and i dint get much comparison between these 2.
Please if anybody knows about it , pls help me.
Updated on 2013-01-25T18:31:55Z at 2013-01-25T18:31:55Z by Art_Jolin
  • Art_Jolin
    Art_Jolin
    26 Posts

Re: Websphere extreme scale verses oracle coherence

‏2013-01-25T18:30:42Z  
    You should check the following site: http://smarterquestions.org/2012/07/data-grids-and-caching-ibm-or-oracle/

Things to consider about Coherence compared to WXS:
    • Better integration with WebSphere Application Server (storing HTTP session) as well as all other app servers (including WebLogic).
    • Usage of the J2EE features (like JPA) when Oracle uses proprietary features.
    • Easier deployment at a Multi Data Center environment.
    • WXS doesn't use multicast. Coherence customers are having problems right now in production with other solutions based on multicast.
    • Integration with key monitoring solutions (ITM and CA Wily and Hyperic)
    • Future integration across Websphere portfolio (including iLog JRules and WebSphere Portal)
    • Oracle can be costly due to their charge model for every client
    • Oracle Coherence required same SW version in entire grid.
    • Coherence must use POF (compression) to achieve performance levels comparable to WXS. We can go farther with our compression. In order to provide the application performance Coherence required to create POF for EVERY OBJECT which could lead to extensive development effort.
    • Updating back end database required proprietary API custom coding development and can be VERY complex.

The judgement is of course up to you.
  • Art_Jolin
    Art_Jolin
    26 Posts

Re: Websphere extreme scale verses oracle coherence

‏2013-01-25T18:31:55Z  
    • Art_Jolin
    • ‏2013-01-25T18:30:42Z
    You should check the following site: http://smarterquestions.org/2012/07/data-grids-and-caching-ibm-or-oracle/

Things to consider about Coherence compared to WXS:
    • Better integration with WebSphere Application Server (storing HTTP session) as well as all other app servers (including WebLogic).
    • Usage of the J2EE features (like JPA) when Oracle uses proprietary features.
    • Easier deployment at a Multi Data Center environment.
    • WXS doesn't use multicast. Coherence customers are having problems right now in production with other solutions based on multicast.
    • Integration with key monitoring solutions (ITM and CA Wily and Hyperic)
    • Future integration across Websphere portfolio (including iLog JRules and WebSphere Portal)
    • Oracle can be costly due to their charge model for every client
    • Oracle Coherence required same SW version in entire grid.
    • Coherence must use POF (compression) to achieve performance levels comparable to WXS. We can go farther with our compression. In order to provide the application performance Coherence required to create POF for EVERY OBJECT which could lead to extensive development effort.
    • Updating back end database required proprietary API custom coding development and can be VERY complex.

The judgement is of course up to you.
    I should have said "Things to consider about WXS compared to Coherence". WXS is the one better integrated with WAS, having better monitoring integration, etc.