• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-30T16:31:47Z by brcowan
8 Posts

Pinned topic ClearCase 7.1.2 Config Spec: Load ONLY Delta from Baslnie

‏2013-01-18T08:40:02Z |
Hello Forum,

I have been stuck for a little while trying to sort out my predicament and I have few options left so I open the floor to the gurus. I will make it as succinct as possible starting... NOW!

I have a main development stream, DEV, with baseline B1 at promotion level PRODUCTION. A SIR is opened in production with critical level. To perform parallel development I create a child stream from DEV called B1_SIR with foundation baseline B1. All fixes are made on the child stream. I now have to extract ONLY the changes that were made to the baseline in the child stream. I assume that this will be done with a base ClearCase view and a clever config spec.

How do I do this?

I have read and to try and create a config spec that filters just the changes, but I can never set it so that it ONLY extracts the files that were changed.

I have:

element * CHECKEDOUT
element * "{version(.../B1_SIR/LATEST)&&!version(.../DEV/LATEST)}"
element * .../DEV/LATEST
element * /main/LATEST

the reason I include "element * .../DEV/LATEST" is because the loading fails, but at the same time it loads the versions of the files that I want to ignore in the first place! I have also tried to use "-none", but I don't know how to apply it to a label. I can only apply it to single files.

Is what I am trying to accomplish possible?

Thank you and best regards,

• cm2006
    264 Posts

Re: ClearCase 7.1.2 Config Spec: Load ONLY Delta from Baslnie

I think that R&D Reporter can easily answer your need, but far as I remember it's a commercial tool. You should ask them if they cover this scenario.
  • brcowan
    763 Posts

Re: ClearCase 7.1.2 Config Spec: Load ONLY Delta from Baslnie

Complex configspecs are an extremely iterative process, and I think that you may be over-engineering things. The second line of the configspec you used will actually not give you anything that has instances of both B1_SIR and DEV. As a result, it is more or less a NULL line for the purposes of what you're looking for.

I think we need to go back to what you're trying to accomplish here. Is there a reason why you can't get this information by virtue of running "cleartool diffbl -versions stream:B1_SIR baseline:{baseline used to create B1_SIR}"

Also, aren't those changes in a set of developer activities? So, what are you trying to do with those changes? Deliver them somewhere else? Because if you need to pull the changes into another stream, you could deliver them (push model) or use cleartool findmerge -fcsets (pull model).

Brian Cowan
    Advisory Software Engineer
    ClearCase Software Advisory Team (SWAT)
    Rational Software
    IBM Software Group
    550 King St
    Littleton, MA 01460

Phone: 1.978.899.5436