Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-25T17:32:32Z by loicjulien
bmccar
bmccar
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Publishing fails every way possible

‏2013-01-18T03:51:15Z |
(1) I'd like to publish a .dbm data model diagram to the web so my co-workers can see it.

(2) Originally created in RAD, but switching to Data Studio so I can 'publish' it.

(3) Need to install Data Studio Web Console in order to do that.

(4) On Win XP, the admin fails in the InstallationManager saying 'A non-administrative installaion is unsupported. To install this product, you must run the installation as an administrator'. I do have fact have complete administrative privileges, but this does not seem to matter.

(5) Ok so try to install on another Win7 box. Now it fails for a completely different and even more mysterious reason:

Exit Code:

Error Code

Message Code
DSW01070E

Please help, is there no simpler way to achieve goal (1) above?
Updated on 2013-01-25T17:32:32Z at 2013-01-25T17:32:32Z by loicjulien
  • loicjulien
    loicjulien
    96 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Publishing fails every way possible

‏2013-01-18T17:26:47Z  in response to bmccar
    Hi,

We thank you for your note. I have a few points below to help you forward quickly.

1/ From a feature perspective, the Data Studio Web Console is not going to help you publish your PDM. You may be referring to our OSLC publish, but for this, the Web Console is only the receiver.

2/ IBM InfoSphere Data Architect is the tool you want to publish your pdm with. It supports Web Publishing and Birt Reports.

3/ For the Data Studio Web Console installation issue, would you mind please reaching out to lj AT us.ibm.com and I will connect you with the right engineers so that we can best understand what is going on and how to address this quickly.

Thank you,
    ~Loic
    • bmccar
      bmccar
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-20T06:57:18Z  in response to loicjulien
      Thanks for reply. I have downloaded Data Architect on your suggestion, and I can see that I can invoke Data>Publish>Web to generate html files. That's good, guess that's why one buys DA rather then the free DS? As for other reasons, I can't find a feature-by-feature comparison anywhere...?

What, by the way, is the 'embedded server' in both DS and DA for? Is this for publishing to Data Studio Web Console? Or, as you say, to your OSLC server? Just to allow others to what version of tool I am using and a few other metadata curiousities?
      • loicjulien
        loicjulien
        96 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-21T05:05:43Z  in response to bmccar
        Hello,

Thanks for the note. Here are some answers below. Please, let me if you have any more questions or if you would like to further engage us on the different offerings we have.

>> Guess that's why one buys DA rather then the free DS? As for other reasons, I can't find a feature-by-feature comparison anywhere...?
        • You are correct, this is currently a value added provided by IDA. We have this article that Holly and Anson wrote and have updated, though now, about a year old or so. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0909optimpackaging/index.html
        • Here is a list of all the Data Studio 3.2 features http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036670
        • Here are some the key highlights of IDA 8.1 http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023729 and IDA 8.5 http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27036439
        • Finally, this article from Holly provide a great description on our portfolio http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/data/library/techarticle/dm-0807hayes/
        >> What, by the way, is the 'embedded server' in both DS and DA for?
        • It is mainly used to enable Optim Query Workload Tuner (component of Data Studio) to integrate with Optim Performance Manager so that it can receive the SQL Statements to tune. This article, in its section "Enhanced SQL analysis", describe the feature: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27023197

Thanks,
        ~Loic
        • bmccar
          bmccar
          3 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T03:42:41Z  in response to loicjulien
          Thank you once again for your informative response. I do wish the product set was more coherent.
          • loicjulien
            loicjulien
            96 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-25T17:32:32Z  in response to bmccar
            Hello,

You are welcome.

In our recent past, we have consolidated some of our offerings (ODA, ODS and recently OQWT as well as the Data Studio Admin client) into a single IBM Data Studio client to make the product easier to install and our features easier to consume.

We are very interested in your feedback and your overall expectations so that we can continue to build tools that meet your usage pattern.

Feel free to reach out by email (at your convenience) so I can help channel that feedback to the right stakeholders. We can also do a webcast if you are interested into learning more about our tools or a feature.

~Loic
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1632 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-18T18:53:45Z  in response to bmccar
    #4 is a known issue with DSWC and a new build will be provided to fix this problem.

For #5, there are two scenarios where DSWC config may fail with error code 2060:

A. The wrapper batch file to call "start.bat" is not generated.
    (On Windows, a batch file is created in the temp dir to call start.bat to start the server.)
    B. The server cannot be started within a given time (2 minutes).

Log files are created as "dswcConfig%u.log" in the "logs" dir under the product install directory.
    The last log file (generally named as "dswcConfig3.log") will contain the error message which
    will point the reason of failure.

If DSWC config is failing because of #A then the error is system related. Please ensure that file
    systems are not full.

If config is failing because of #B, from a command-window, please try this:
    cd <DSWC install Dir>\bin
    start.bat
    a new window should be opened and it will display status on the server. If the server cannot be
    started within a short time (generally about 30 secs) then the problem is somewhere else (assuming
    the machine is not very busy).
    You can also check status of the server by running "bin\status.bat" command from another window.

If the server is not starting within 2 minutes, please rerun config in debug mode as (from "bin" dir):
    config_DSWC -loglevel 2
    and zip up the "logs" directory and attach it here. We will review the logs and provide quick feedback.

Thanks.
    --Mahesh