7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-18T03:06:04Z by MuDan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13281 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Storage Control Plug-in is not activated

‏2013-01-18T00:43:04Z |
Hi all,

I have recently installed IBM Systems Director, upgraded to 6.3.2.

I have also just installed onto that, the Storage Control plug-in - version 4.2.1.1

Install seemed to go as expected and Systems Director, under Storage Management reports "IBM Systems Director Storage Control: Running" with a green square. Also, under license it shows "IBM Systems Director Storage Control 4.2.1.191: Installed".

However when I go to "Discover Storage" I get a message as below:

DNZSLA332E
The Storage Control plug-in is not activated.

Close Message
I cant find any instructions on activating the plug-in, or anything within Systems Director that would allow me to active it? Can someone please let me know how to activate Storage Control, or advise on how to troubleshoot this message if it is an issue?

Thank you.
Updated on 2013-03-27T17:27:30Z at 2013-03-27T17:27:30Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13281 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Storage Control Plug-in is not activated

‏2013-01-18T16:31:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

You should use the "Update IBM® Systems Director" task . It solved the problem in my case.
    regards,
    beno
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13281 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T01:08:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Sorry for the slow response I have been trying to get this sorted. I don't seem to be able to update Storage Control, regardless of whether I do an automatic update, or download the update from fix central and update it manually.

The error I am getting is:

Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:150-0--Storage Control install failed. Return Code: 1
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.ibm.director.storagecontrol.StorageControlInstall
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.ibm.director.storagecontrol.StorageControlInstall
    at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:434)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:660)
    at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:358)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:626)
    Could not find the main class: com.ibm.director.storagecontrol.StorageControlInstall. Program will exit.
    Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:50-0--ATKUPD786E An error occurred while installing update "com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143" on system "423fe4a6-bc3b-d6ec-0fe4-c3a9f81da174". The file at path "D:/Program Files/IBM/Director/data/updateslib/Director/com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143/com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143.zip" is potentially corrupted. Ensure that you can open the archive file and all feature and plug-in jar files within it. If the referenced file is corrupted, remove the update by running the "smcli cleanupd -m -F -v com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143" command, then acquire the update again and retry the operation.
    Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:50-0--ATKUPD767E The installation of update "com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143" was not successful for system "423fe4a6-bc3b-d6ec-0fe4-c3a9f81da174". Search above for previous related errors, fix each error, and then retry the operation.
    Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:50-0--ATKUPD705E The update installation request was not successful for system "423fe4a6-bc3b-d6ec-0fe4-c3a9f81da174". Search above for previous related errors, fix each error, and then retry the operation.
    Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:100-0--423fe4a6-bc3b-d6ec-0fe4-c3a9f81da174 client job status changed to "Error".
    Tue Jan 22 14:00:29 NZDT 2013-Level:1-0--Job activation status changed to "Active with errors".

Any further ideas to resolve either or both issue?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    • gcorneau
      gcorneau
      235 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T16:13:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I believe the key is in this part of the error:
      The file at path "D:/Program Files/IBM/Director/data/updateslib/Director/com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143/com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143.zip" is potentially corrupted. Ensure that you can open the archive file and all feature and plug-in jar files within it.

Can you check the validity of this file using an archive program (if this was *ix I'd say try "unzip -t" but I don't know what the Windows equivalent is)?

Did the file get downloaded in full and not truncated (i.e. by an ftp program? by a file size limit?)

Glen Corneau
      IBM Power Systems Advanced Technical Skills
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13281 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-22T22:51:10Z  in response to gcorneau
        fixed --

I re-re-re-downloaded the com.ibm.director.storage.storagecontrol.member.Windows_4.2.2.build-00143.zip file from FixCentral using the IBM download manager to 100% guarantee there was no corruption. This time round I noticed that when trying to apply the update (yes it failed again), it extracts all the contents to a single directory and that directory also contained the StorageControlInstall.bat file.

I thought I would try running the .bat file from a CMD prompt and it gave me a different error, this time saying it was due to having less than 800MB of free memory. A quick check showed it was not lieing to me there was only about 700MB free, so I gave the VM more memory, tried re-running the .bat file and the update has applied successfully.

After applying the update, StorageControl has indeed been activated and I can now use it.

On a side note: How do I add a DS3512 into StorageControl. I cant find any documentation for this?

---

Thank you both for your help
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          13281 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-27T17:27:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I stumbled into the same problem when updating Storage Control on my ISD 6.3 install on AIX.

Does such a requirement really make sense on an operating system like AIX where memory space not used by applications is most of the time massively used for caching files, leading to a very low level of free memory on a perfectly sane and safe AIX instance ?

This leads to unecessary error in ISD and the necessity to

• change the VM configuration with dynamic logical partitionning to add memory to the VM (temporarilly)
          • or tweak and trick the AIX OS to force it to page out permanent storage memory pages to disk, (using rmss for example)

which is not a nice user experience, indeed.
        • --Craig
          --Craig
          16 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-19T15:37:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Thanks to this post I was finally able to get Storage Control (SC) upgraded.  When using Update Manager (UM) to do the upgrade, it kept failing.  I found the .BAT file, ran it as Administrator, and the upgrade worked perfectly.  Thanks SystemAdmin for the information you provided.

• MuDan
            MuDan
            5 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-18T03:06:04Z  in response to --Craig

I came across the same problem. I used the 90-trial version of Storage Control 4.2.1, and updated it to 4.2.4 on Director 6.3.3 (AIX). The update task completed successfully but the Storage Control did not update to the new version. And the "Storage Control Plug-in is not activated" error is still in the way to discover storages...  

I believe I chose the right version to download from FIX Central. But why it did not work? Or because I used the trial version it can not be updated?