IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-05T22:37:40Z by bpgross
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2826 Posts

Pinned topic Correct installation for IBM Data Server Driver package v10.1

‏2013-01-17T14:03:20Z |
Hi there,

Could someone advice me on how to correctly install IBM Data Server Driver package v10.1 software to Windows 7 workstation?

I also need to be able run binds for AS/400 DB2.

If I install fix pack 2 without GA install, I cant run binds correctly as there are files missing from bnd-folder after install.

If I install GA version first, I cannot upgrade to Fix Pack 2. I just cant find enough info from documentation and setups are not helping either.

How is this meant to be handled?

Br,
Kappas
Updated on 2013-02-05T22:37:40Z at 2013-02-05T22:37:40Z by bpgross
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

Re: Correct installation for IBM Data Server Driver package v10.1

‏2013-01-17T15:31:47Z  
    Kappas,

The best instructions for getting up and running with ds driver are onour "validate" page - here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.dbclient.install.doc%2Fdoc%2Fr0058814.html

That page has step by step instructions for setting up the drivers, testing, etc.

In terms of GA vs fixpack - the nice thing about ds driver is the FP images are actually the complete package - you do not have to install the GA then the FP - just install the FP directly. If you have already installed the GA - you can installthe desired FP right overtop the GA (or a previous FP) - it is very much intended for in-place upgrade - keeping a single copy on your workstation.

For the bind, it is good to see that you are interested in V10.1 FP2, not just because it is the latest, but also we have a new command line bind available with V10.1 FP2 - please see the help for the db2cli tool:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2.luw.admin.cmd.doc%2Fdoc%2Fr0002045.html

There is a new bind command as part of this tool. You will see in the validate page that this is our "tool of choice" for the ds driver, setup, etc.

I hope this helps!

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2013-01-21T08:13:41Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2013-01-17T15:31:47Z
    Kappas,

The best instructions for getting up and running with ds driver are onour "validate" page - here:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.swg.im.dbclient.install.doc%2Fdoc%2Fr0058814.html

That page has step by step instructions for setting up the drivers, testing, etc.

In terms of GA vs fixpack - the nice thing about ds driver is the FP images are actually the complete package - you do not have to install the GA then the FP - just install the FP directly. If you have already installed the GA - you can installthe desired FP right overtop the GA (or a previous FP) - it is very much intended for in-place upgrade - keeping a single copy on your workstation.

For the bind, it is good to see that you are interested in V10.1 FP2, not just because it is the latest, but also we have a new command line bind available with V10.1 FP2 - please see the help for the db2cli tool:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v10r1/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2.luw.admin.cmd.doc%2Fdoc%2Fr0002045.html

There is a new bind command as part of this tool. You will see in the validate page that this is our "tool of choice" for the ds driver, setup, etc.

I hope this helps!

Brent.
    Thank you for the quick answer!

One thing is still mystery to me as I'm not familiar what things binding does in DB2 (IBM i).

In GA installation running ddcs400.lst includes many files that are simply missing in FP2 installation.

Fix Pack 2 ddcs400.lst
    db2ajgrt.bnd+
    db2clipk.bnd+ (this file EXISTS)
    db2clist.bnd+ (this file EXISTS)
    db2clpcs.bnd+
    db2clprr.bnd+
    db2clpur.bnd+
    db2clpnc.bnd+
    db2clprs.bnd+
    db2arxcs.bnd+
    db2arxrr.bnd+
    db2arxrs.bnd+
    db2arxnc.bnd+
    db2arxur.bnd+
    db2uexpm.bnd+
    db2uimpm.bnd+
    db2ueiwi.bnd+
    db2uimtb.bnd+
    db2uiDescribe.bnd

Is it gonna be problem if those missing files are not binded? This is first time these packages are installed to DB2 for IBM i (6.1).

If its necessary to have those files can I just copy those missing files from GA setup package and have these existing newer files in same directory before running bind?

Br,
    Kappas
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2013-01-25T13:55:43Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2013-01-17T15:31:47Z
    Kappas,

I hope this helps!

Brent.
    Anyone knows what is wrong if I try to install Fix Pack over GA?

Setup stops and log says:
    Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Tried just run v10.1fp2_ntx64_dsdriver_EN.exe w/o parameters and with /n IBMDBCL1. Both ends with same result insisting that I need to remove previous version.

I have installed ibm_data_server_driver_package_win64_v10.1.exe.

Not happy with this experience at all :(
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2013-02-05T22:35:50Z  
    Thank you for the quick answer!

One thing is still mystery to me as I'm not familiar what things binding does in DB2 (IBM i).

In GA installation running ddcs400.lst includes many files that are simply missing in FP2 installation.

Fix Pack 2 ddcs400.lst
    db2ajgrt.bnd+
    db2clipk.bnd+ (this file EXISTS)
    db2clist.bnd+ (this file EXISTS)
    db2clpcs.bnd+
    db2clprr.bnd+
    db2clpur.bnd+
    db2clpnc.bnd+
    db2clprs.bnd+
    db2arxcs.bnd+
    db2arxrr.bnd+
    db2arxrs.bnd+
    db2arxnc.bnd+
    db2arxur.bnd+
    db2uexpm.bnd+
    db2uimpm.bnd+
    db2ueiwi.bnd+
    db2uimtb.bnd+
    db2uiDescribe.bnd

Is it gonna be problem if those missing files are not binded? This is first time these packages are installed to DB2 for IBM i (6.1).

If its necessary to have those files can I just copy those missing files from GA setup package and have these existing newer files in same directory before running bind?

Br,
    Kappas
    Kappas,

The .lst file was created for a much larger client package - and binds many other packages that most customers do not need when using IBM i servers.

The ds driver uses a subset, that only need to be bound once (future updates to ds driver will not require a rebind). We decided to keep the .lst unchanged and simply not include the bnd files not required. You can ignore any errors from the missing bnd files.

We could have changed the .lst file we shipped with ds driver, but I am not a fan of having the same file name with different content based on where it came from. No obvious, easy answer ...

Brent.
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2013-02-05T22:37:40Z  
    Anyone knows what is wrong if I try to install Fix Pack over GA?

Setup stops and log says:
    Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

Tried just run v10.1fp2_ntx64_dsdriver_EN.exe w/o parameters and with /n IBMDBCL1. Both ends with same result insisting that I need to remove previous version.

I have installed ibm_data_server_driver_package_win64_v10.1.exe.

Not happy with this experience at all :(
    This scenario should be fully supported, and I did confirm it was tested in the lab. Please open a support ticket as I do want to have us understand what is unique in your environment that is causing this to not work.

Thanks,

Brent.