Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-18T11:14:30Z by Champagne
Champagne
Champagne
40 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic nested classifier / class

‏2013-01-17T10:00:26Z |
Does anyone know how or if you can draw a nested classifier relationship on a class / object model diagram, the nested classifier is the anchor (circle with a cross in it) with a line to the nested class / type?

Thanks in advance
Updated on 2013-01-18T11:14:30Z at 2013-01-18T11:14:30Z by Champagne
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1305 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: nested classifier / class

‏2013-01-18T07:15:18Z  in response to Champagne
    I don't think the symbol you are asking for is part of the offical UML spec. But I guess that it is just another way of drawing what Rhapsody calls "Composition" or "Composite Class". You can check the help for more detailed information to see if this is what you wanted to model.
  • Champagne
    Champagne
    40 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: nested classifier / class

‏2013-01-18T11:14:30Z  in response to Champagne
    I now have the answer and yes, to those of you who have pointed this out, you are right it is not mainstream UML notation, it is the membership notation from UML 1.4 I think and has largely been dropped from the vocabulary in favour of the more obvious technique of just drawing one class inside the other on the diagram.

However if you are interested this is how you do it:

First:
    Make sure the ObjectModelGe::ClassDiagram::TreeContainmentStyle property of the diagram is checked.

Now Rhapsody will draw the relationship if you drop the memberclass on the diagram outside the class it is a member of, if you drop it inside the class that it is a member of the relationship isn't shown by the nesting notation because it appears inside the other class.

Or, if the classes are already there on the diagram or your diagram is not set to automatically add the relationships:

Select the two classes and select Layout -> Complete Relations -> Among Selected from the menu.

So if you want to do it you can, it is different from the aggregation and composition relationship as it is exclusive to the class that "owns" it, in essence the classes involved in an aggregation or composition could be involved in this relationship with many different classes, e.g. the same class "wheel" could be involved in a composition within both the class "bicycle" and "tricycle" whereas if it were a nested class there would have to be two separate "wheel" classes (I think).

Thanks