Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-20T15:42:47Z by SystemAdmin
bpmrockie
bpmrockie
67 Posts

Pinned topic BPM Slow while development stage !!!

‏2013-01-17T04:19:51Z |
Hi All ,
I'am facing a wired problem , i have a process app , whose latest snapshot is about 10 MB plus , there are around 10 toolkits attached to it, even i reset caches often , my server config is 16 GB RAM , local machine is 3 GB . Whenever i do a save or run the process , it takes hell lot of time . Can anyone please assist me on this , what might be helpful in this situation .
Thanks in advance !!!
Updated on 2013-01-20T15:42:47Z at 2013-01-20T15:42:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

Re: BPM Slow while development stage !!!

‏2013-01-17T06:12:39Z  
    At first I thought "10 Mbytes ... wow" but then I looked at my own toolkits, and I have just one that is nearly 2 MBytes in size. So I'm not yet concerned with the notion of the process app being too big. 3 GBytes is no where near enough to run a local server plus development. Its just too small. If things are taking a long time, the first thing I would look at is where is that time being spent. How much free ram is available, how much paging is going on, what does the CPU utilization look like, how much disk traffic is occurring per unit of time. These sorts of questions will tell us about environmental conditions. If all of those look ok, then the next thing would be to look for bottlenecks in the nature of the product. However, my experience hasn't shown any of these up yet. Without knowing your OS or machine type, a quick google on "8 gbytes ram price" shows prices between $45-$70. Now you may have a good reason for only running 3 GBytes but in today's world, I wouldn't even start to develop with less than 8 GBytes and would use Windows Vista/7/8 with at least 2 cores.

Neil
  • bpmrockie
    bpmrockie
    67 Posts

‏2013-01-17T08:07:27Z  
    • kolban
    • ‏2013-01-17T06:12:39Z
    At first I thought "10 Mbytes ... wow" but then I looked at my own toolkits, and I have just one that is nearly 2 MBytes in size. So I'm not yet concerned with the notion of the process app being too big. 3 GBytes is no where near enough to run a local server plus development. Its just too small. If things are taking a long time, the first thing I would look at is where is that time being spent. How much free ram is available, how much paging is going on, what does the CPU utilization look like, how much disk traffic is occurring per unit of time. These sorts of questions will tell us about environmental conditions. If all of those look ok, then the next thing would be to look for bottlenecks in the nature of the product. However, my experience hasn't shown any of these up yet. Without knowing your OS or machine type, a quick google on "8 gbytes ram price" shows prices between $45-$70. Now you may have a good reason for only running 3 GBytes but in today's world, I wouldn't even start to develop with less than 8 GBytes and would use Windows Vista/7/8 with at least 2 cores.

Neil
    Thanks Neil for your prompt reply , actually i have a independent server for BPM which is 16 GB RAM (Window Server 2008 R2 Server Std , OS) my local machine having the process designer is 3 GB RAM (Windows XP OS).
    I have different apps which are small compared to the process app which is 10 MB , runs fine , it doesn't take time to save and run.

Any tuning or any config change that can be done to tune the performance , or do i need to improvise on the hardware of my local machine or the server.
  • kolban
    kolban
    3316 Posts

‏2013-01-17T17:14:36Z  
    • bpmrockie
    • ‏2013-01-17T08:07:27Z
    Thanks Neil for your prompt reply , actually i have a independent server for BPM which is 16 GB RAM (Window Server 2008 R2 Server Std , OS) my local machine having the process designer is 3 GB RAM (Windows XP OS).
    I have different apps which are small compared to the process app which is 10 MB , runs fine , it doesn't take time to save and run.

Any tuning or any config change that can be done to tune the performance , or do i need to improvise on the hardware of my local machine or the server.
    I'd still be looking at the comments posted in my last post. If things are slow ... then we are constraining a resource. The first question to be asked is what resource is it we are squeezing?

The obvious choices might be:

o memory
    o cpu
    o disk access
    o network bandwidth

So before we go too much further, we want to use the OS supplied tools to see if we can spot any obvious reasons why something might be slow.

Neil
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-18T20:50:01Z  
    • bpmrockie
    • ‏2013-01-17T08:07:27Z

Some sort of analysis of what your server is doing during when you see the slow response would be good. Is the JVM doing a bunch of work? The DB? Sometimes when people have reported slowness it has been because there is some problem in the toolkits that is causing sub-optimal searches, such as a circular reference. Given the number of tookits you say you are using you might want to check for that.

Andrew Paier | Director of Special Operations | BP3 Global, Inc. www.bp-3.com
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    7615 Posts

‏2013-01-20T15:42:47Z  
    Hi
    which topology you are using? how many people work at the same time? services that the app uses are responding to time considerable?