Currently we're looking at the following use case in my company:
- some business department will transfer a large file with data to a given file destination
- this will happen once every 24 hours (typical batch job)
- the type of data is READ-ONLY (no writes/updates)
- we're thinking of placing the data in our Grid for fast access (for client applications)
- Regarding READ-ONLY: we will never update the data from the clients. The data will only be invalidated/updated when a new batch file is transferred.
(we are running version 8.5 of WXS)
My question is basically how to proceed from here, e.g. what parts of the built-in WXS functionality should we look into?
I've read about the different loader interfaces, and I do think some kind of preload is the right thing to do when the Grid is started/restarted, but we would also have to detect file changes or schedule file reads. Are there any built-in functionality that can be used for this? (I do know how accomplish this in plain java, but we'd like to use as much as we can of the WXS product :)
Is it possible to set a given backingMap (or set of backingMaps) to PRELOAD-mode (using the StateManager.setObjectGridState(AvailabilityState.PRELOAD, objectGrid)) without affecting the availability of other backingMaps in the Grid. Or should we create a new objectgrid in the objectgrid.xml for this business case? (e.g. <objectGrid name="GridA"> and <objectGrid name="theNewGridName">)
We've previously used write-behind/read-through (inline-caching) with the JPALoader-plugin, but inline-caching is unfortunately not suitable in our current case.
I'd appreciate any tips or feedback.