Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-01-17T03:14:48Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
658 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Debugging blues

‏2013-01-16T13:29:26Z |
Is trace calculation is the good option when data inconsistency issues comes in,the source data be CSV or database would be base data against which data validations are being made,i checked the trace calculation it doesn't provides major info and no idea how far it going to help.what should be the checklist one should be going through when end user raises data not correct or mismatches issues.Appreciate gurus tips and would be immensely thankful.
Updated on 2013-01-17T03:14:48Z at 2013-01-17T03:14:48Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    658 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Debugging blues

‏2013-01-16T21:10:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi barrysab,

The Trace Calculation function is for debugging rules. You mention trying to validate against a CSV / Database which suggest you have used a TurboIntegrator process or similar to import the data, in which case the Trace Calculation function won't work.

Not sure I understand your problem but I will try to answer it with some basic tips and we can go from there.

Rules
    • If you are using Skipcheck / Feeders logic the easiest way to check this is working is to create a view of the rule calculated cells. Toggle the zero suppression option and if the value appears / disappears then this points to a feeders issue.
    • If the value is incorrect or not visible at all then this initially suggests a problem with the rule. If I am debugging a rule I always try to pull the rule apart i.e. into the separate functions to see at which point the calculation fails. The Trace Calculation function can sometimes help to dissect what the rule is doing against a calculated cell.

Data Loads
    • Firstly, make sure there were no errors with your load process i.e. TI did not create a log file.
    • If your process is loading data but the values do not appear to be correct then check to make sure you are not overwriting data i.e. in some data load processes it is necessary to do a cumulative load which in TurboIntegrator would be a combination of the CellGet / CellPut functions.

There is a lot more you can do depending on the issue so if there is something specific you want to know please post back.

Hope this helps.

Rod
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    658 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T21:14:38Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi barrysab,

The Trace Calculation function is used for analysing rules. Your case sounds like it is a problem reconciling back to source data which is perhaps a TurboIntegrator / data load issue?

These are very general but my tips here are:
    • Make sure there are no error logs related to the import process
    • Check that security or rules are not preventing data from being loaded
    • If the process runs okay but the numbers aren't correct then check if you need a cumulative load process i.e. cellgetn / cellputn.
    • Check log files to make sure users aren't overwriting data

This is very general but so if there is something specific you want to know then please post back.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      658 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T21:20:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      For everyone wondering why I posted twice - I got an error with the first post and then tried again :-(
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      658 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-17T03:14:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Thanks very much Rod.