• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-21T06:12:39Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2327 Posts

Pinned topic WL Studio becoming slow over time

‏2013-01-16T13:13:14Z |
Hi,

I have noticed that WL Studio is becoming very slow If we keep adding custom java code and JAR files. Previously i had 5 jar files + two custom java files and it was breeze.

But today i added two more JAR files and 8 custom java classes.

Now its taking more than 30 min to update content and showing on server (console) for testing.

I created a new workspace but no benefit. I disabled ALL Validations but no benefit.

What I do now? any suggestion because in this way its just eating time.

For development purpose i am using WL Studio(free) but i have consumer Edition as well.

should i switch to Consumer Edition Studio?

my environment Details: windows 7 , Java 7, 8 GB RAM, 32-bit

thanks
Abdul Ahad
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

Re: WL Studio becoming slow over time

‏2013-01-17T07:24:37Z  
    I have just figured it out that if you start loading more JAR files , the Studio becomes slow in order to Build the App artifacts.

I think the reason behind is the "Jetty" server - that is being used in the Studio to execute server side code.

One thing to know and it should be the option.

How i can run any other WAS or tomcat in my Development environment and directly test App on it rather than on built-in jetty instance? So my adapters & java code executes on other server.

Thanks
    Abdul Ahad
  • IdanAdar
    IdanAdar
    741 Posts

‏2013-01-17T07:33:08Z  
    Hi, the larger the project, it makes sense the build time may be longer...
    You can try to use Ant to build your project instead of using Eclipse and Worklight Studio; this may decrease the build time.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wrklight/v5r0m5/topic/com.ibm.worklight.help.doc/devref/r_ant_tasks_for_building_and_dep.html

Note: we are constantly imporving our build engine, and improvements may come in the future in any case.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2013-01-17T09:04:22Z  
    • IdanAdar
    • ‏2013-01-17T07:33:08Z
    Hi, the larger the project, it makes sense the build time may be longer...
    You can try to use Ant to build your project instead of using Eclipse and Worklight Studio; this may decrease the build time.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/wrklight/v5r0m5/topic/com.ibm.worklight.help.doc/devref/r_ant_tasks_for_building_and_dep.html

Note: we are constantly imporving our build engine, and improvements may come in the future in any case.

Idan Adar
    QA Engineer
    IBM Worklight Mobile Platform
    Hi,

Okay fine, thanks

Abdul Ahad
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2013-01-17T15:43:21Z  
    Hi,

Okay fine, thanks

Abdul Ahad
    Hi Adan,

I am seeing some temp folder been created under bin folder. What they are ? and can i delete them? see attached snap.

may be this way i can improve the Studio build time.

Thanks
    Abdul Ahad
  • aram208
    aram208
    27 Posts

‏2013-01-17T18:08:50Z  
    Confirmed. It is not the jars alone. I have noticed that over the time editing html files becomes very sluggish and eventually crashes the IDE. Overall eclipse is really unstable with worklight
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2327 Posts

‏2013-01-21T06:12:39Z  
    • aram208
    • ‏2013-01-17T18:08:50Z
    Confirmed. It is not the jars alone. I have noticed that over the time editing html files becomes very sluggish and eventually crashes the IDE. Overall eclipse is really unstable with worklight
    Hi,

Now I switched to Consumer studio and it takes less time because it is using WAS Liberty profile. Hope it will help others facing same issue.

Thanks
    Abdul Ahad