Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T07:58:33Z by BhadraBheemireddy
vishalendu
vishalendu
57 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Not able to create more than one locations from a single machine on RPT 8.3

‏2013-01-16T06:46:01Z |
I have only installed RPT 8.3 on this machine. (Previously only RPT 8.2)

Previously, in RPT 8.2, I was able to create/use multiple locations from the same machine by adding dummy names in my hosts file for the host's IP.

Right now after updating to RPT 8.3, although my schedule runs properly with "Run this group on local computer", however it is not running with locations which were previously running with RPT 8.2. These locations point to the dummy names and a local directory. I even tried to create a fresh location, but it is not working as well.

Error message reads "Agent host2 not ready, Time of last contact: No successful contact. Check Agents failed"

Do I need to install a separate Agents Controller locally to get this working?

Thanks,
Vishalendu
Updated on 2013-03-15T07:58:33Z at 2013-03-15T07:58:33Z by BhadraBheemireddy
  • vishalendu
    vishalendu
    57 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Not able to create more than one locations from a single machine on RPT 8.3

‏2013-01-16T07:46:32Z  in response to vishalendu
    Just like to share my findings with everyone.

I have tried:
    Preferences --> Agent Controller --> Hosts : Added the dummy hosts with default port (10002), also tested connection.
    Preferences --> Agent Controller --> Integrated Agent Controller --> "Machines that should be given access to IAC" to "ALL", click apply, this restarted the IAC.

Even after this the locations are not working by using the Integrated Agent Controller, this used to work in RPT 8.2.

Solution that I found:
    I installed a seperate Rational Performance Tester Agent (did not install the agent controller, dont think its required)
    Configured it to run on host's IP/7080 PORT
    Restarted the MojodomoService

Now when I add a new Host I change the port to 7080 (instead of 10002 earlier for IAC), the locations seem to work now.

I still think that the IAC should be able to handle multiple locations. What do you guyz think?

Thanks,
    Vishalendu

Reference: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/blogs/qualitymanagement/entry/ibm_rational_performance_tester_8_3_attempts_to_run_a_schedule_yields_security_message_the_agent_controller_is_not_available_on_host_localhost23?lang=en
    • Attaullah_Syed
      Attaullah_Syed
      9 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T08:06:43Z  in response to vishalendu
      In RPT 8.3, Rational Agent Controller is used to gather data for the Response Time Breakdown feature and in support of the startup and control of web services stubs in the SOA protocol. The Load Generation Agent is used to generate load for the application under test by using the virtual users.

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/rpthelp/v8r3m0/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.lt.doc/topics/c_work_agents.html
      • vishalendu
        vishalendu
        57 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T08:26:45Z  in response to Attaullah_Syed
        I dont understant what this reply was in refernce to, is this in regards to my statement that I didnt think the Agent Controller is required. Because it doesnt answer anything else.

The link that you have mentioned explains that the load should be distributed and that Agent Controllers are required for that purpose on the remote machines.

In my case I have installed RPT on a server class machine, which has sufficient CPU/Memory for my Performance Schedule. Which is why I am generally content with the Integrated Agent Controller handling the multiple locations on the same machine. This used to work in 8.2, and is not working at all now.

Please let me know if this is a known issue or a completely new design, which is not documented.

Thanks,
        Vishalendu
        • Attaullah_Syed
          Attaullah_Syed
          9 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T08:43:44Z  in response to vishalendu
          The reply was to only mention the difference between RPT Agent in 8.2 and in 8.3. In 8.2, you used to use Agent Controller to generate load. But, in 8.3, you install(as you have done) Load Generation Agent to generate load on the remote machines.
          • vishalendu
            vishalendu
            57 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T10:08:13Z  in response to Attaullah_Syed
            Just to clarify, I am not using any remote machine for generating load.

I just wanted to use the local machine as multiple load generators, as I have been doing for quite some time. And I would like to stress on the fact that it is not working. What I have done (mentioned earlier), should not be required.

Thanks,
            Vishalendu
            • vishalendu
              vishalendu
              57 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T11:31:15Z  in response to vishalendu
              I am marking the question as answered, but will be logging a PMR for this.
              • KMooney
                KMooney
                282 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-01-16T12:54:19Z  in response to vishalendu
                This is a defect in 8.3. Filing a PMR is the right thing to do.
  • BhadraBheemireddy
    BhadraBheemireddy
    13 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-03-15T07:58:33Z  in response to vishalendu
    1. if you upgrade workbench , then surely upgrade agent also .
    2. in 8.3 we need to install agent controller separately.
    if u upgrade agent location, surely u wll lost the host name

at agent machine ....in the installation directory
    example C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP\Majordomo ....
    here in the majordomo config file provide the hostname
    <Host Name>ip address of ur workbench machine</Host Name>

and
    in the work bench location
    1. check the agent status ... find the attached icon of agent status.
    If it in ready state then only we can stat the test
    otherwise
    Your system is now upgraded to 8.3. Please begin the testing today.

In case you get errors like 'Agent Not ready' , do the following steps :

1) Stop the Majordomo services on workbench machine.
    2)Close RPT workbench
    3) Clear User temp (Start> Run> %temp%). Can be done occasionally not always. Recommended to do before longer runs..
    4)Start the Majordomo services on workbench machine
    5)Start RPT. Give it some time to initialise
    6)Query on the Agent Status. It should list the remote agents this workbench is shared with and show the Status as 'Ready' . Only then you can start a remote schedule run from your workbench.

it may helps
    Thanks and Regards
    Bhadra bheemireddy