Topic
5 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-06-13T11:25:19Z by KevinF.Quinn
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1305 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic XMI Export/Import options are not available

‏2013-01-16T04:33:01Z |
I've installed Rhapsody V8.0 but it doesn't show me the XMI Export/Import options in the Tools menu.
I've checked the XMI Toolkit and I found it installed under the Sodius sub-directory. I tried to add these options manually using the Cutomize/Helpers sub-menu but it didn't work.

Following is my XMI4Rhapsody.bat file.

SET XMITVAR=%1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SHIFT
SET XMITVAR=%XMITVAR% %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
SET XMIJDK=<XMIJDK>
SET XMIDIR=<XMIDIR>
SET XMIRHP=<RHPDIR>
IF NOT EXIST "%XMIJDK%\bin\javaw.exe" msg "%userName%" XMIToolkit was not properly installed: Java not set.
"%XMIJDK%\bin\javaw.exe" -Xss4M -Xmx512m -Djava.library.path="%XMIRHP%\Share\JavaApi" -classpath "%XMIDIR%\lib\XMI4Rhapsody.jar" com.sodius.toolkit.rhapsody.launcher.ToolkitLauncher -toolkit.directory "%XMIDIR%" %XMITVAR%
SET XMITVAR=
SET XMIJDK=
SET XMIDIR=
SET XMIRHP=

Please advise.
Updated on 2013-02-25T14:54:05Z at 2013-02-25T14:54:05Z by RonaldHoude
  • purban
    purban
    59 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: XMI Export/Import options are not available

‏2013-01-16T13:15:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Try Tools->Import. That should give a listing of the XMI import options.
    • RonaldHoude
      RonaldHoude
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-02-25T14:54:05Z  in response to purban
      I have the same problem with either Rhapsody 7.6.1 or 8.0. I performed the steps described in
      http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21404822
      However, although the "XMI Import into Rhapsody" line shows up in the Tools drop-down menu, selecting it does absolutely nothing.
      Since I do not have Administrator priviledges on my PC, I cannot modify the XMI4RHAPSODY.BAT file.
      • KevinF.Quinn
        KevinF.Quinn
        2 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-06T14:43:04Z  in response to RonaldHoude

Same for me with 7.6.1.   I followed the steps mentioned above by RonaldHoude to get the menu items in the Tools menu (prior to that they were simply missing).  I have also edited the XMI4Rhapsody.bat file thus:

SET XMIJDK=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1\jre
        SET XMIDIR=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1\Sodius\XMI_Toolkit
        SET XMIRHP=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1

in place of the <> entries which looked like they needed to be configured, and similarly in the other .bat files in the same directory, varying combinations of the following:

set JDKDIR=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1\jre
        set INSTDIR=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1\Sodius\XMI_Toolkit
        set WINDIR=C:\Windows
        set RHPDIR=C:\Program Files\IBM\Rational\Rhapsody\7.6.1
        set RHAPVER=7.6.1

This gets to the point where the wizard launches, but it fails in the end with a bland error message saying it failed, so this is obviously not enough.

It looks like part of the installation sequence is either missing, or silently failed, but obviously I have no idea what it should have done, beyond the guesswork above.

Is there someone watching who has it working - if so, it would be useful to see what the various configuration files look like for a working installation.

• LauraHart
    LauraHart
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T16:59:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin

I ran into this problem twice just today with Rhapsody 8.0.2.  1. On one sytem the cause was because the XMI toolkit had not been selected during installation.  Solution: Do an installation Repair and select the XMI toolkit.

2. The other cause was insufficient permissions to do the installation.  The complicating issue here is that the installation completed and everything worked except the Tools--Import options.  As stated on an earlier post, the Sodius\XMI_Toolkit\XMI4RHAPSODY.exe was present, and I did verify that the toolkit had been selected.  I looked at the Sodius\XMI_Toolkit\bin\XMI4RHAPSODY.BAT file and none of the paths were set. 

What fixed my issue was to remove the current installation and reinstalling with the "run as admin" option.  I had previously run under a administrative account which apparently had less privileges then the "run as admin"  So I agree with KevinF Quinn above  that the installation is failing somewhere silently when permissions are not set high enough. 

Updated on 2013-06-11T17:01:48Z at 2013-06-11T17:01:48Z by LauraHart
    • KevinF.Quinn
      KevinF.Quinn
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-13T11:25:19Z  in response to LauraHart

Thanks Laura; I just tried it as you suggest (I ran "setup.exe" using "Run as administrator" from the explorer context menu), and that does integrate the SODIUS tools with the Rhapsody installation properly.  Just running it without using "run as" (or using the .msi) fails to integrate them, despite it being run from an adminstrative account in the first place.

I suspect the problem is the installer doing something that doesn't interoperate with user account control on Windows 7, becuase we don't see this issue with Windows XP users.